High street Northcote street art.

Kwaichang

High street Northcote street art.

Postby Kwaichang » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:29 am

Just noticed this on high street looks pretty dodgy to me.
Would hate to see anyone fall on these things...
It's got me scratching my head really I'm guessing its meant to be some sort of street art but really it just looks dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians alike...

ImageImage

clackers

Re: High street Northcote street art.

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:29 am

Art can move us, and it can maim us, apparently. :grin:

Kwaichang

Postby Kwaichang » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:06 am

Seems I wasn't the only person in Northcote who has issues with this ridiculous piece of metal that's bolted to the road...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:50 am

Positively lethal :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

andione1983

Postby andione1983 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:25 am

Kwaichang wrote:Just noticed this on high street looks pretty dodgy to me.
Would hate to see anyone fall on these things...
It's got me scratching my head really I'm guessing its meant to be some sort of street art but really it just looks dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians alike...

ImageImage
saw that the other day.. And was thinking the same thing...

Sent from my Galaxy far far away....

:?
Road Bike - Giant Advanced Defy 2 (2018)
MTB - Boardman Team Pro (2013)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:25 pm

The local chipwrapper for the area came up in my feed a couple days back, they actually published my comment :shock:
I was rather scathing in my description of the panel that approved it.

Those in car pics are even scarier than the meeja ones :shock:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:00 am

That's dangerous! :shock:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Now I'm not an art expert or anything, but that thing is bad. Maybe it is meant to be truly arty when something or someone is impaled on the spikes??? :roll:

Who okays these things??? Sheesh.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:20 pm

The item's risks have been pointed out in the local papers. Hopefully someone has asked the concil about it as well. Now their public liability insurers will no doubt be very interested in what happens next.
Mandatory helmet law?

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Summernight wrote: Maybe it is meant to be truly arty when something or someone is impaled on the spikes??? :roll:
Damian Hirst could do 'Skewered Cyclist' and Charles Saatchi would reflexively pay millions for it, Summernight!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:08 am

clackers wrote:
Summernight wrote: Maybe it is meant to be truly arty when something or someone is impaled on the spikes??? :roll:
Damian Hirst could do 'Skewered Cyclist' and Charles Saatchi would reflexively pay millions for it, Summernight!
Hmmm. Anyone got a crash test dummy or some such (a blow up doll may do) to impale on the spike (minds out of the gutter please... :wink: ) to get the point across? :P

If he buys it for millions with our 'tasteful' addition it'll get it off that street and give the council some more money in the coffers. Win-win!

Kwaichang

Postby Kwaichang » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:47 am

Word is that council last night voted to have the art work removed... What a waste of money!

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:56 am

What a bunch of whiners. If a cyclist is hitting that, they've already been hit by a car to be shunted into the middle of the road. This is hardly a higher (probability x consequence) than being doored, slipping on tram tracks etc.

The food truck that parks halfway down rucker's hill some evenings and extends it's equally sharp edged generator into the downhill bike lane with no reflective tape/lighting on it is more likely to take out a cyclist than this is.

Kwaichang

Postby Kwaichang » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:What a bunch of whiners. If a cyclist is hitting that, they've already been hit by a car to be shunted into the middle of the road. This is hardly a higher (probability x consequence) than being doored, slipping on tram tracks etc.

The food truck that parks halfway down rucker's hill some evenings and extends it's equally sharp edged generator into the downhill bike lane with no reflective tape/lighting on it is more likely to take out a cyclist than this is.
Nah I disagree it's ridiculous and dangerous and a waste of money.
If you can't dodge a truck parked on the side of Ruckers hill maybe you should have gone to Specsavers...

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Kwaichang wrote:Nah I disagree it's ridiculous and dangerous and a waste of money.
If you can't dodge a truck parked on the side of Ruckers hill maybe you should have gone to Specsavers...
All art could be considered a waste of money. That doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

The actual, not perceived, risk of this is so much lower than so many other pieces of road furniture and driver behaviour it's heading down there towards shark attacks.

The generator extension from the truck that protrudes while it's vending and occupies the bike lane with it's 90º steel edges has a slightly higher consequence than hitting the art (due to increased direct impact speed), but a higher likelihood of occurring (due to location).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:
Kwaichang wrote:Nah I disagree it's ridiculous and dangerous and a waste of money.
All art could be considered a waste of money. That doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

The actual, not perceived, risk of this is so much lower than so many other pieces of road furniture and driver behaviour it's heading down there towards shark attacks.

The generator extension from the truck that protrudes while it's vending and occupies the bike lane with it's 90º steel edges has a slightly higher consequence than hitting the art (due to increased direct impact speed), but a higher likelihood of occurring (due to location).

Choob search "cyclist doored" and get back to us on speed and direction of impacts. Hurts enough if it's just the road the rider ends up hitting.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Going...... going....
Mandatory helmet law?

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 pm

GONE!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pyram ... 2s9f3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Ooh, oooh! Maybe they better keep it for that artistic touch at the end :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 pm

"That's despite the fact the project passed a technical risk assessment and road safety audit during its design, on top of a "post-implementation risk assessment"."

:shock: I think its time to audit their risk assessment and road safety team.

Steel rebar ends on construction sites need to be capped due to OH&S issues. These are in a far more controlled environment and are temporary. Installing a spiky object in the pathway of faster moving vehicles and traffic surely should raise some eyebrows.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Would have been good to see the local hot-ute boys get their car hung up on it though ;)
Mandatory helmet law?

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:15 am

Mulger bill wrote:Choob search "cyclist doored" and get back to us on speed and direction of impacts. Hurts enough if it's just the road the rider ends up hitting.
No kidding Einstein. And the probability of a cyclist getting doored is much higher than the probability of a cyclist hitting that sculpture. Which means that getting doored ranks higher on the risk matrix.

Are you going to remove doors and pad the road too?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:02 am

human909 wrote:GONE!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pyram ... 2s9f3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aww, see NOW it is art (with that lovely red addition). :P

I have to agree with the person quoted in the article about the artwork looking aggressive. Why would we want aggressive and violent looking sculptures in streetscapes? Surely something with smooth curves and lines would be better. Calming art on a street that regularly gets blocked up with peak hour traffic sounds better than violent/aggressive art that may make people (subconsciously) more road ragey. But that is a debate for another time.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Blakeylonger wrote: No kidding Einstein.
Wow, insults. Argument fail.

Did you do as I suggested? Doubt it.
If you had, one thing you might have noticed is how far sideways a door can throw you. THAT was my point.

Personally, I'd like to see dooring as a license cancellation event. If the smokeboxer is that judgement or observation poor at 0km/h should they really be allowed to travel at more than walking pace?
London Boy 29/12/2011

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:What a bunch of whiners. If a cyclist is hitting that, they've already been hit by a car to be shunted into the middle of the road. This is hardly a higher (probability x consequence) than being doored, slipping on tram tracks etc.

And if a motorbike rider lost traction on the tram tracks?