End “Share The Road”

Aushiker

End “Share The Road”

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:37 pm

In August, Bike Delaware asked DelDOT to permanently discontinue its use of the “Share The Road” plaque in Delaware. The article on our ask, which can be read HERE, was viewed on the web more than 15,000 times, “liked” more than 1,800 times and generated many thoughtful comments. (Bike Delaware shared all these comments with DelDOT.)

On Friday, DelDOT’s Chief Traffic Engineer released an official memo to DelDOT staff and contractors:

“…effective immediately, DelDOT is discontinuing the use of the STR ["Share The Road"'] plaque. For projects that have not yet reached the final plan submission, the STR plaque should be deleted from the plans. For projects past the the final plan submission or in construction, the STR plaque does not need to be installed. When bicycle warning signs and STR plaques are being replaced for maintenance purposed…the STR plaque should be omitted…”

- See more at: http://www.bikede.org/2013/11/04/goodby ... rF3S4.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew

trailgumby

Re: End “Share The Road”

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Great move. I've had "SHARE THE ROAD! :evil: " hurled at me numerous times by numerous morons who have interpreted it exactly as Bike Delaware pointed out... that I should get out of the way and stop "hogging" the lane. This despite it being a 6 lane major suburban road with no other options for me than riding a crowded footpath.

Tapatalk sucks lemons

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:05 pm

It would be nice to see the same here - but the almighty AGF supports sharing the road if I remember right.

Here, share the road is interpreted as "get the .... off the road or I'll ....". :(

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

g-boaf wrote:It would be nice to see the same here - but the almighty AGF supports sharing the road if I remember right.
Supporting the real principles of sharing the road is not the same as following misguided motoring morons' self-interested view of those same words. There's no accounting for ignorance.
AGF wrote:A guide for all Victorians, Sharing Roads and Paths highlights six key elements, some of which include:

Road Rules
know and obey the road rules
know your responsibilities
obey road signs and signals
bicycles are considered vehicles and are permitted on the road, unless signed, even if there is a nearby off-road path

Be alert
be aware and anticipate the next moves of all road users, especially children and older people
make eye contact with road users, especially at intersections
use audio devices at low volume to allow you to hear what is going on around you
green bike lanes highlight high-risk areas
look out for pedestrians crossing the road

Be predictable
be clear about your intentions
when changing direction, indicate with sufficient notice to other road users

Be courteous
be considerate and patient on all roads and paths
acknowledge good behaviour
don’t respond to road rage or harassment
From Amy Gillett Foundation

Nothing too much there that I would disagree with - all very wise cyclecraft principles.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:26 pm

It's all very well posting AGF real principles. But motorists don't care about that, nor do they embrace those ideas. They come up with their own interesting interpretations of sharing the road. And the moment they see a graphic or slogan with "share the road", it's ammunition for them to use in their war against us.

The only way to change it is to put very plain and blunt signs like those above making it extremely clear for motorists and shock-jocks alike that bicycles have a place on the road, and not just shunted off into the gutter.

Unless it is made clear and signs give no room at all for any kind of differing interpretation, these arguments will continue on for a very long time.

Signs such as "bicycles may use full lane" make it extremely clear that a bicycle can use the full lane on the road if needed.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:It's all very well posting AGF real principles. But motorists don't care about that, nor do they embrace those ideas......
I pretty much agree with evrything that you are saying. My point was simply not to blame AGF for the misguided selfish notions held by most car drivers. AGF's principles of sharing the road are meant to educate people - drivers, and also cyclists who may not have the sort of cyclecraft developed that keeps them safer in traffic.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:52 pm

I was only blaming them for using a slogan that is used by drivers against us. Just don't use share the road at all. It's time for that to go and be replaced with a different strategy that takes away any ambiguity.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Sometimes I think that the common approach to bicycle advocacy is little better than the "Give Quiche A Chance" plan of action:

(I hope there are some other Red Dwarf fans here, or I might just get a few blanks look.... :mrgreen: )