2014 Cycling Fatalities

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

2014 Cycling Fatalities

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:52 am

I really wish this thread was never started and did not need to be sticky. Regrettably Casey Kinnaird has died three days after cycling accident in Waterfall, Sydney

SMH wrote:Sydney entrepreneur Casey Kinnaird has died three days after she was gravely injured in a cycling incident south of Sydney.

The 35-year-old was riding along McKell Avenue at Waterfall when she was involved in a collision with a car travelling in the opposite direction about 7.15am on Saturday.

Casey was a beautiful human being with a generous and loving spirit and she touched the lives of everyone she came in contact with

A rescue helicopter flew Ms Kinnaird to St George Hospital. She died from her injuries on Tuesday.

The New Zealand born financial services adviser was a keen cyclist and known to have trained with members of the Cronulla Triathlon Club.

In March 2013 she competed in the New Zealand Taupo Ironman event which included a 180km bike ride.

Police in a statement on Tuesday said inquiries into the incident were continuing. It is believed the driver of the vehicle stopped after the collision.

Ms Kinnaird ran her own financial services company, Bespoke Advisory Services, that she set up in May 2012. With a strong career focus, she was also an active member of the Extraordinary Women, an organisation that connects females who run their own companies with other ambitious women.

League of Extraordinary Women general manger Chiquita Searle released a statement on Tuesday informing members of the heartbreaking news.

Ms Searle said Ms Kinnaird was "bubbly and vivacious" woman, adding she fell in love with her "spirit and energy" the first time they spoke.

"Casey was a beautiful human being with a generous and loving spirit and she touched the lives of everyone she came in contact with," she wrote. "Thank you Casey."

Ms Kinnaird had also spent time in Cambodia building shelters for the homeless. Ms Searle said Casey "loved helping people".

"She was thrilled to return and be able to add 'brickie' and 'labourer' to her skill set," the statement said.

"She said the trip had made her even more determined to take full advantage of the opportunities we have available to us that other nations don’t.

"This reminds me again how her positivity and abundant attitude was always evident in every situation and conversation."

A memorial for Ms Kinnaird will be held in Cronulla on February 6.
find_bruce

by BNA » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01 pm

BNA

Re: 2014 Cycling Fatalities

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01 pm

My heart sank when i read this on smh.com.au this afternoon. :(

By all accounts an experienced rider. I wonder if equipment failure contributed?
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Haere rá. Ride in Peace.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby birdbrain » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Really sad story unfortunately. RIP

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/entrepreneur- ... 30tu0.html
birdbrain

Postby Stefan_A » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:11 pm

No. 2
is a 50yo roadie who was killed in the Dandenong Ranges this morning when a Toyota Hilux exited a private driveway and struck two cyclists, the 2nd receiving minor injuries.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... 31fhy.html
Stefan_A

Postby eldavo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:09 pm

^ The way you wrote it (like The Age) attributes responsibility to the car for its actions.
when a Toyota Hilux exited a private driveway and struck two cyclists,

Compared to Herald Sun:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 6810288485
Cyclist killed after hitting ute
A CYCLIST is dead and another is in hospital after they hit a ute that was pulling out of a driveway this morning.
The cyclists were riding north on Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd in Kalorama, in Melbourne's east, when they hit the Toyota Hilux.

When I read somebody hit somebody, usually the first thought is the person receiving the hitting is the victim.
I'm not familiar with the reputations of either publication, but there is a very bold difference in writing style and target audience I'm predicting, the Herald Sun example does not seem good.

As a motorcyclist for several years prior to substituting the last few exclusively as a cyclist, I've noticed similar writing style of reports that make me think at first reading that it was rider error or weather. Read on to find malicious hit and run crashes that "motorcyclist dies" rather than "was killed by alleged hit and run driver".
eldavo

Postby Stefan_A » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:30 pm

eldavo, I don't know what's got into Australian media in recent years. Seems they write things to be deliberately provocative, even the police media unit does it. i.e. as you allude "Cyclist killed when they collided with a motor vehicle" seems to be the preferred phrase. which is often followed with "The driver did not sustain injuries."

However, unfortunately, Casey Kinnaird was responsible for colliding with a car, when she cut a corner doing a right hand turn, and collided with an oncoming vehicle.

vehicles exiting a private driveway are supposed to give way to all other traffic. to my mind, it is more likely the vehicle collided with, or caused the cyclists to collide with him, by encroaching on the road without adequately giving way. i suppose it's possible the cyclists were so absorbed in conversation, or traveling at speed, that they collided with a vehicle that had yielded for an adequate period.

The one media report that really peeved me was when a loose boom crane on the back of a truck came loose and hit a female cyclist in the head and killled her instantly. The media still used the phrase 'she collided with a truck'.
Stefan_A

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:02 pm

With the Dandenong fatality, it is hard to know who was at fault without more detail. Knowing the road, there are quite a few driveways with restricted visibility, which means you need to drive (and cycle) to a safe speed, ready to stop if someone is pulling out. Hard to know which way it went without more info.
wellington_street

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm

About 10.30am (Thursday 6 February 2014), a 74-year-old Mudgee man was cycling on Ulan Road with a group, when he fell onto the road.

Ambulance Paramedics were called and attempted to revive the man; however he died at the scene.

NSW Police Media

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby rangersac » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:05 am

Looks like no. 4 in Melbourne. Hope I'm still on the road when I'm 80.

An 80-year-old cyclist who was hit by a truck in Melbourne's south-east last week has died in hospital.
A police spokeswoman said the man was riding along Frankston-Dandenong Road in Bangholme on January 31 when he was hit by a truck going in the same direction about 9.50am.
He was taken to The Alfred hospital, but died on Wednesday night. The driver of the light truck, a 37-year-old Carrum Downs man, assisted police at the scene of the crash.
Investigators are hoping to speak to four motorists who helped at the scene but left before police arrived.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:17 pm

@Stefan_A that's standard fare for News Ltd publications. They're been leading the charge to vilify asylum seekers and other vulnerable minorities fir many years. All they care about is eyes on pages they can sell to advertisers. Andrew Bolt, Miranda Devine, Piers Akerman et al all sing from the same hymn sheet and are hired on the basis of their views aligning with Rupert's. Editorial practice runs along the same lines.

Anyone who is not in the same far right camp is villified as a bleeding heart lefty or greenie. Facts are filtered to fit the prejudice instead of letting them inform opinion.

Pretty disgusting stuff for those who care about accuracy and balance.

Andrew Neills biography of his time as Ruperts lieutenant (prior to Rebecca Brooks) provides an interesting window on how he operates and the (insidious in my view) impact it has on editorial independence across the empire all the way from national dailies down to local newspapers owned by the Cumberland group.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Paul B » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:49 am

66 year old cyclist killed this morning at Byron Bay. Struck by a white utility.
Yet another avoidable tragedy...
Paul B

Postby cp123 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:57 am

7:54am: A 66-year-old cyclist has died after being struck by a utility at Byron Bay on the NSW north coast.

Police say the cyclist was hit on Ewingsdale Road by a white Holden Rodeo single cab ute travelling the same way at about 8.15pm last night.

He sustained severe head injuries and, despite efforts of passers-by and police, died at the scene.

The driver of the ute, a 43-year-old man, stopped and is assisting police with their inquiries.

Police say he returned a negative breath test at the scene but has undergone mandatory blood and urine tests.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2t37AwHso
cp123

Postby birdbrain » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:34 pm

Always bugs me when I hear "assisting police with their enquiries"

As Paul said another avoidable tragedy.
birdbrain

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:16 am

Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 am

RIP. Very sad & hard to understand how it happened when it appears from the reports that the cyclist was on Doonkuna St which has stop signs in both directions and looks to have good visibility
find_bruce

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 am

At the risk of speculating - Prius' are very quiet vehicles when just cruising. Perhaps he didn't look before crossing because he didn't hear anything coming?
wellington_street

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:37 am

Apparently there's been a fatality out near Fishermans Island this morning. A young girl in her late teens/early 20's was struck by a truck. I don't know too much apart from that.

Edit: http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2014/03 ... -murrarie/

The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating the death of a 21-year-old female cyclist on Lytton Road this morning.

About 6.30am, the cyclist was travelling with a group of cyclists heading along Lytton Road towards the Port of Brisbane when the cyclist and a truck, heading in the same direction, have collided.

The cyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.

Lytton Road remains closed with investigations continuing.
Lukeyboy

Postby briztoon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:07 pm

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2014/03 ... -murrarie/

Our group road up there this morning just as the ambos arrived. We were directed to turn in to a side street by a cyclist and plain clothes passer by to go around the scene.

Happened out bound on Lytton Road just before the GateWay. If you know the road, going uphill right where the bend is.

I was (and still am) gutted when I got home and my sister told me the cyclist had passed away.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6841852272

My condolences go out the young girls family and her cycling group.
Last edited by briztoon on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
briztoon

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:36 pm

briztoon wrote:http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2014/03/01/fatal-traffic-crash-murrarie/

Our group road up there this morning just as the ambos arrived. We we directed to turn in to a side street by a cyclist and plain clothes passer by to go around the scene.

Happened out bound on Lytton Road just before the GateWay. If you know the road, going uphill right where the bend is.

I was (and still am) gutted when I got home and my sister told me the cyclist had passed away.

:cry:
Lukeyboy

Postby Stefan_A » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:49 pm

oh dear. one of the guys in the pic has a UQ jersey on, so it's bound to be someone known to many in Brisbane. very sad...and heart goes out to the parents. what a call to receive on a sunny Saturday morning.

I've been very disturbed with the behavior of truck drivers on that part of Lytton Rd in the past. Some don't leave enough room by any stretch of imagination. It's hard to imagine anyone riding in an experienced pack, which UQ jersey riders mostly are, could move across into the path of a truck. And it's interesting that the police report that when investigations are ongoing.
Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:16 pm

trailgumby wrote:@Stefan_A that's standard fare for News Ltd publications.

I don't think Fairfax are incapable of bias and inaccuracies, in the name of sensationalism.
i.e. in this story
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 33gip.html

1. "Mr Carnovale's bike hit the front of the Prius, which was travelling west on Ainslie Avenue."

2. the story's provided map has a pointer near cnr of Ainslie Pl and Limestone Ave, which is not the intersection where the accident occurred.

3. the article mistakenly calls Ainslie Place, Ainslie Avenue.
Stefan_A

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:39 pm

briztoon wrote:http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2014/03/01/fatal-traffic-crash-murrarie/

Our group road up there this morning just as the ambos arrived. We were directed to turn in to a side street by a cyclist and plain clothes passer by to go around the scene.

If that is the hill heading up to queensport road; that is a horrible piece of Tarmac. There is zero run off. You are either in the left lane, or you are in the dirt. And the left lane is mangled Tarmac due to the heavy vehicles that frequent the area. One of my least favourite roads to ride up because there is nowhere to hide when you are trying to get your road bike over the surface and make sure you give yourself maximum room from the passing vehicles. I will be very keen to hear what the investigation turns up. Very.
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby bolam » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Interesting wording by the Brisbane Times:

"The deceased was travelling with a group of riders at the Gateway Bridge end of Lytton Road when she collided with a truck travelling in the same direction."

Similar to the other examples given above.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... z2uh3a5iWK
bolam

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Stefan_A wrote:oh dear. one of the guys in the pic has a UQ jersey on, so it's bound to be someone known to many in Brisbane. very sad...and heart goes out to the parents. what a call to receive on a sunny Saturday morning.

Yep :cry:
Lukeyboy

Next

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy