Bike safety site

g-boaf

Bike safety site

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:55 am

Found this through Google:

http://www.klosters.com.au/bikesafe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts?

newie

Re: Bike safety site

Postby newie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 am

The hypocrisy of of acknowledging that 4 in 5 incidents between motorists and cyclists is the motorists fault and then going on to describe all the things that cyclists need to do to say safe, with nary a mention of what motorists need to do is simply astounding. As they are one of the largest local car dealers in my area I will be contacting them to let them know as a consequence of this site, I will never, ever buy a car from them.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:35 am

+1
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:36 am

The advice about doorzones is truly awful.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:09 am

high_tea wrote:The advice about doorzones is truly awful.
But why is it truly awful.

I personally move out and away from parked cars. I just won't ride in door zones. But if the speed limit is 50km/h, it's worthwhile chopping your speed a little bit if the conditions allow - the reason being is that car occupants will often just swing open the door and dart out with no watching for others cars or bicycles coming along.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:13 am

Riiiiiiiiight.

Follow their advice to the letter and wind up as road pizza. Ulterior motive?

Tapatalk did this...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:28 am

g-boaf wrote:
high_tea wrote:The advice about doorzones is truly awful.
But why is it truly awful.

I personally move out and away from parked cars. I just won't ride in door zones. But if the speed limit is 50km/h, it's worthwhile chopping your speed a little bit if the conditions allow - the reason being is that car occupants will often just swing open the door and dart out with no watching for others cars or bicycles coming along.
Because it makes no mention of rule#1 of riding in doorzones: don't.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 am

That's a bit better!

newie

Postby newie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:32 am

Well I have had a quick response from my email to Klosters. The timeliness and tone of the response is to be commended. I will be curious to see if this actually translates into any change to their article. I will have to compose a reply. Does anyone have some good suggestions for links or articles I can provide to Daniel in my return email that outlines the similar responsibilities and advice for motorists interacting with cyclists? I will probably point out that the Door Zone advice should simply read - don't ride there.

Thank you for your email this morning. I have just received this and currently looking into updating the article in light of your feedback.
Certainly the intention behind the article is to raise awareness. On behalf of the company, I apologise if the article has caused any offence.
Thank you again for your feedback as it assists us to better ourselves and what we publish.

Sincerely,
Daniel Kemp

Dear Klosters,
I have just come across your supposed "bicycle safety guide".
The hypocrisy of of acknowledging that 4 in 5 incidents between motorists and cyclists is the motorists fault and then going on to describe all the things that cyclists need to do to say safe, with barely a mention of what motorists need to do, is simply astounding. It may possibly have been well-intentioned, but all it does is focus motorists aggression on what "cyclists ought to be doing" rather than have them think about their responsibilities on the road.
I am just letting you know that as a consequence of this site, I will never, ever buy a car from your company.
Regards,

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:58 am

That's extremely positive. This could make the article into a very worthwhile resource.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:07 am

They need to make sure they get the law right - there are some extremely important caveats to the keep-left rule that they fail to mention, to name but one example.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 am

Correct me if I'm wrong here but the keep left rule only applies on single-lane roads. If it is a four lane road (two each way) then all bets are off - ride as you require for your journey and safety.
Mandatory helmet law?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:16 am

I remember those videos from a moderator that used to frequent this website riding in the roads of North Sydney as an example of safe, confident riding that left the car drivers in no illusions as to where she was riding. Obviously that takes a lot of nerve to ride like that right away.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:17 am

il padrone wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong here but the keep left rule only applies on single-lane roads. If it is a four lane road (two each way) then all bets are off - ride as you require for your journey and safety.
Yep, that's one. Another is the "practicable" qualifier. TMR in Qld use "safely" instead of "practicable" when describing this rule. which works for me.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:30 am

g-boaf wrote:I remember those videos from a moderator that used to frequent this website riding in the roads of North Sydney as an example of safe, confident riding that left the car drivers in no illusions as to where she was riding. Obviously that takes a lot of nerve to ride like that right away.
That would have been Christine and she started out not too many years ago as a total newbie.

Yes, it takes a bit of nerve at first, but no, not dangerous. It is helped out very much in my experience, with the use of a rear-view mirror to be able to 'read' the traffic. By riding out in the lane you persuade the following drivers that "No, I really cannot squeeze past".

Read this and watch this video:

There is a link at the bottom of that CommuteOrlando page to another video of similar riding technique in heavier traffic. Works just the same.
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:41 am

g-boaf wrote:I remember those videos from a moderator that used to frequent this website riding in the roads of North Sydney as an example of safe, confident riding that left the car drivers in no illusions as to where she was riding. Obviously that takes a lot of nerve to ride like that right away.

Yep very ballsy :mrgreen:

newie

Postby newie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:48 am

Well, I will spend some time in the next couple of days drafting some comments on their existing content and compiling some driver awareness information for them as well. If your have any suggested sources of information I can work from will be much appreciated, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. The cynic in me remains skeptical that it will actually translate to change - but he sounds genuine.

Thank you for the offer. I am very interested in your thoughts on content. It certainly sounds like you are both passionate and well versed in this area.
I understand you are at work and have commitments, and as such, whenever is convenient to provide I would only be too happy to incorporate as part of the update.
Again, thank you for your feedback.
Regards,
Daniel

Dear Daniel,
The timeliness and nature of your response is very much appreciated. Your article does have the potential do be a very useful resource, if it also addressed motorists responsibilities around cyclists. If you are planning to update the article, I am very happy to assist. I am at work at the moment, but within the next day or so I could send you some links and other information that may be useful to you .

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:54 am

Some tips for motorists:

1. Don't forget your brake. Use it sensibly and relax while doing so.
2. Indicate first, then look for the gap to change lanes (good advice for many cyclists as well)
3. Please change lanes fully when overtaking a cyclist - it is actually illegal to travel along in more than one lane.
4. Look bike, think bike, for motorcycles and bicycles. We are on the roads and you have equal obligations to give way and make room as for any car or truck.
5. DO NOT cut close by a cyclist. The wind sheer and general risk of a close 80kmh pass is in no way comparable to that same cyclist passing close to your motor car at the traffic lights. Most drivers would not regard passing a stationary vehicle at 60kmh with <0.5m clearance as 'safe' so how is it 'safe' to do it to a cyclist?

Maybe send them the link to that CommuteOrlando video of "Lane Control vs Right Tyre Track"
Mandatory helmet law?

newie

Postby newie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Quick update.
The guy from Klosters sent me their revised draft of their information and it is a massive improvement. It's actually pretty good now. I will only need to make a couple of small suggestions. It is such an improvement I can't help thinking they have been talking to someone in the cycling community. Is it anyone from here?

newie

Postby newie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:04 pm

The revised site is available here:
http://www.klosters.com.au/bikesafety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is still not great, but for those who remember, it is improved from the original version.

maestro

Postby maestro » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:26 pm

newie wrote:The revised site is available here:
http://www.klosters.com.au/bikesafety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is still not great, but for those who remember, it is improved from the original version.
http://www.klosters.com.au/bikesafety/ wrote:Drive no closer than 2 metres behind a cyclist
Holy cow! I see what you mean when you say that it's still not great!

Whatever happened to the 3 second gap?

They've also put the dooring item in the wrong section (yes, cyclists do need to watch out for dooring, but motorists are the ones who cause dooring incidents)

But, yes, there are quite a few good tips in there.