1 metre rule

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

1 metre rule

Postby r2160 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:51 am

Not sure if this has already been posted, but its great news that hopefully will spread.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 31n68.html

All we have to hope is that they will enforce it.

regards
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong
r2160

by BNA » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:12 am

BNA

Re: 1 metre rule

Postby queequeg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:12 am

The comments in the article show it will be a long uphill climb to educate the masses.
I hope the trial is a success and we see some actual enforcement of the rules. I want this to go national!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby sumgy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:00 am

r2160 wrote:Not sure if this has already been posted, but its great news that hopefully will spread.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 31n68.html

All we have to hope is that they will enforce it.

regards
Glenn

Well Glenn
That is the next step.
Mandatory punishment/sentencing where a "vulnerable road user" is killed or injured in a road incident with a vehicle.

NSW is currently looking at mandatory punishments for "Coward Punches", so why not something similar for road incidents?
The UK is looking to trial this kind of "vulnerable road user laws" to bring them in line with much of Europe.
sumgy

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:36 am

queequeg wrote:The comments in the article show it will be a long uphill climb to educate the masses.
I hope the trial is a success and we see some actual enforcement of the rules. I want this to go national!

You're not wrong regarding the comments. I'm still baffled at comments on how this law is going to force people to overtake on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic and cause a head-on. I'm pretty sure there are other laws that deal with that issue.... people are so stupid and narrow minded at times.
FuzzyDropbear

Postby queequeg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:46 am

FuzzyDropbear wrote:
queequeg wrote:The comments in the article show it will be a long uphill climb to educate the masses.

You're not wrong regarding the comments. I'm still baffled at comments on how this law is going to force people to overtake on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic and cause a head-on. I'm pretty sure there are other laws that deal with that issue.... people are so stupid and narrow minded at times.

I think that we are overestimating the average IQ of the population. It is like it never occurred to any of the commenters that all they have to do is change lanes and overtake the cyclist as if they were a car/truck/horse & cart etc.
To be honest, these rules already apply anyway even if not written out in 40 foot high flaming letters. Realistically the only time the 1.0 to 1.5 metre rule is only going to apply on a single lane and one way roads. People seem to be getting hysterical trying to find situations where it becomes impossible to overtake, saying how much of a problem it is, because waiting 2 minutes for a safe opportunity to pass is just such a tragedy (such as double-white lines). The overall standard of driving in this country is very poor. I don't know how people are passing the driving test.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby simonn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:00 am

queequeg wrote:I think that we are overestimating the average IQ of the population.

<Ahem/> IQ tests are normalized with a mean of 100, so the average is always 100 :P

OTOH...

simonn

Postby queequeg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:06 am

simonn wrote:
queequeg wrote:I think that we are overestimating the average IQ of the population.

<Ahem/> IQ tests are normalized with a mean of 100, so the average is always 100 :P

OTOH...

What I meant was that perhaps we are overestimating how many people sit on the right hand side of the curve.
queequeg

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:40 pm

queequeg wrote:What I meant was that perhaps we are overestimating how many people sit on the right hand side of the curve.

What I'm imagining right now is an inverted bell curve :)
InTheWoods

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:38 pm

simonn wrote:Image

Hmmm, the average is not always the same as the median. Perhaps he's in the bottom half?
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby biker jk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:49 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:

That's because in my experience a high percentage of drivers overtake me on single lane roads when a vehicle is coming the other way. They don't have the intelligence or patience to wait until there's no vehicle coming the other way before passing me. I've read many of the comments by motorists complaining about the minimum distance passing rule and all they do is confirm the stupidity of the average motorist. We definitely need better education, tougher and more frequent testing of motorists. Driving is a privilege not a right.
biker jk

Postby exadios » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:57 pm

biker jk wrote:
FuzzyDropbear wrote:

That's because in my experience a high percentage of drivers overtake me on single lane roads when a vehicle is coming the other way. They don't have the intelligence or patience to wait until there's no vehicle coming the other way before passing me. I've read many of the comments by motorists complaining about the minimum distance passing rule and all they do is confirm the stupidity of the average motorist. We definitely need better education, tougher and more frequent testing of motorists. Driving is a privilege not a right.

And we, as a society, are goig to have to accept that a high percentage of people will not be able to meet the requirements necessary to obtain a drivers' license.
exadios

Postby human909 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:46 pm

biker jk wrote:They don't have the intelligence or patience to wait until there's no vehicle coming the other way before passing me.

Actually they do have the intelligence and patience. Most motorists cope just fine waiting in other occasions. In fact many spend hours each day doing exactly that.

The difference is that motorists have a belief that cyclists are secondary road users and that a motorist does should not need to slow to cater for a cyclist. In other countries be it Asia or Europe motorists don't have the same issues with waiting for cyclists. I don't believe Australians are innately more impatient or less intelligent than other countries. We simply hate cyclists and don't accept them on the road. And our authorities aren't doing much to change those attitudes.
human909

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:07 pm

I recently broke bread with a reasonably high-ranking person from Queensland's RACQ and we got onto the one-metre passing rule in that state.
"Why", he asked, "should the onus be on motorists to leave a metre between their car and someone on a bike? Shouldn't the cyclist have to move over to ensure they leave a one metre gap to the car overtaking them?"
I patiently explained that the onus was on the overtaker, not the overtaken but I'm still not sure he got it.
I like this bloke, he is an intelligent man but seriously, you have to wonder where they get some of their ideas from. I have to say I wondered if this might be one of the trains of thought being floated around RACQ headquarters. If it is, it is a train of thought that is seriously derailed.
Funnily enough, this is the second bike-related discussion I have had witha person from that august motoring body and the first one was pretty strange as well.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:47 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:I recently broke bread with a reasonably high-ranking person from Queensland's RACQ and we got onto the one-metre passing rule in that state.
"Why", he asked, "should the onus be on motorists to leave a metre between their car and someone on a bike? Shouldn't the cyclist have to move over to ensure they leave a one metre gap to the car overtaking them?"
I patiently explained that the onus was on the overtaker, not the overtaken but I'm still not sure he got it.
I like this bloke, he is an intelligent man but seriously, you have to wonder where they get some of their ideas from. I have to say I wondered if this might be one of the trains of thought being floated around RACQ headquarters. If it is, it is a train of thought that is seriously derailed.
Funnily enough, this is the second bike-related discussion I have had witha person from that august motoring body and the first one was pretty strange as well.

You lost me at "he is an intelligent man". :roll:
biker jk

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

biker jk wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:I recently broke bread with a reasonably high-ranking person from Queensland's RACQ and we got onto the one-metre passing rule in that state.

You lost me at "he is an intelligent man". :roll:

Intelligent doesn't necessarily equate to smart.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 pm

And this bloke allegedly has a driver's licence???

Time to return to 'L' plates for you mate :roll: :evil:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby sumgy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:14 pm

I am yet again questioning the governments commitment to the 1m rule with no 1 minute of airtime spent on advertising these changes as yet.
sumgy

Postby sumgy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 am

26 days to go and no campaigning commenced despite the 1m trial being announced late 2013.
In the meantime, we have seen that both NSW and Victoria have started vulnerable road user campaigns from an announcement only a matter of weeks ago.
sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:53 am

13 days to go.
No change.
sumgy

Postby oxonabike » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:55 am

Yeah but isn't this just conjecturing on the internet? I didn't think you approved?
oxonabike

Postby sumgy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 am

oxonabike wrote:Yeah but isn't this just conjecturing on the internet? I didn't think you approved?

Nope it is stating a fact.
There is 13 days to go and there has not been 1 single second of time been spent on advertising this.
sumgy

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Funny thing ... here comes the details ... whoops :wink:

Queensland motorists caught driving within one metre of cyclists will be fined $330 and lose three demerit points under a two-year trial due to start next month.

Drivers will be forced to give cyclists one metre clearance when passing in 40km/h, 50km/h and 60km/h zones.

Where the speed limit is higher than 60km/h, motorists will be required to give cyclists 1.5 metre clearance when passing.

Transport Minister Scott Emerson committed to the one metre clearance trial in January, but did not announce the penalty that would be imposed on motorists caught breaking the new rules until Thursday.

The penalty is the same for drivers caught running a red light, or failing to stop at a stop sign.

More in the Melbourne Age

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby high_tea » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Fine down from the $4400/8 demerits (?) the inquiry recommended to $330/3. Plus parity in fines for cyclists and motorists (don't recall that recommendation), plus no mention of the other recommendations. Hmm.
high_tea

Postby sumgy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:17 pm

high_tea wrote:Fine down from the $4400/8 demerits (?) the inquiry recommended to $330/3. Plus parity in fines for cyclists and motorists (don't recall that recommendation), plus no mention of the other recommendations. Hmm.

The fine was never a MANDATORY $4400 and 8 points.
It was always UP TO.
sumgy

Postby high_tea » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:33 pm

You may be right about the fine, and I haven't seen the exact change. It does sound like the penalty is being watered down from what is proposed, though.

Demerit points, btw, are mandatory - see whatever the driver licencing regulation is called for details.
high_tea

Next

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy