'Bogan' drivers go off-road to beat congestion

Aushiker

'Bogan' drivers go off-road to beat congestion

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:51 pm

in Perth according to the front page of the West Australian today.

Only scans at the moment as the story does not seem to be live on the West's website or Facebook page.

The scan of the article can be found at my Dropbox.

Andrew

HappyHumber

Re: 'Bogan' drivers go off-road to beat congestion

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks Andrew.

But I do end up feeling just that bit dirty whenever I've read the West Australian. I suppose that's their target market; the great unwashed.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Here's the Google Maps Streetview link for the area for anyone wanting a look around.

Looking this up also reminded me that this is the only place on the Roe Hwy PSP where the continuing traffic on the PSP has to give way to traffic entering the PSP. Bikes heading southbound onto the PSP from Nicholson Road have right of way over eastbound bikes on the PSP. It never made sense to me as the eastbound traffic has just come out of a tunnel and has to look uphill and to the North (i.e. into the sun) to look for oncoming bikes.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:12 pm

what do bogans have to do with this?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:31 pm

mitchy_ wrote:what do bogans have to do with this?
It's a bit of a throw-away term these days. You can't say there's never been fashionable terms and epithets used in common language and media previously.

Though is it because you're a tad insecure about it? ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:56 pm

I can't believe what would happen to a cyclist who was in the path of these fools. They would probably try to run him off the bike path.
These blokes would be looking at a manslaughter charge in the wrong circumstances. I reckon using the term Bogans is a bit light on them.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:01 pm

It's a quote in the article from a University Sustainability Professor:
Professor Peter Newman wrote:It was what you would expect to see in Italy or Third World countries such as India...This practice will increase like graffiti unless the police step in straight away. There is no human right to bogan driving just as there is no right to hoon.
They could also be making an inference from the fact that the drivers on the path are turning left onto Roe Highway (eastbound) on a Wednesday afternoon suggesting that they live in Perth's south eastern suburbs (stereotypically equivalent to Sydney's western suburbs).
Last edited by Scott_C on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Similar thing happens turning right onto Errindale Rd north bound off Reid Hwy west bound in the afternoons.

Two lanes going straight get banked up beyond the right turn slip lane, so everyone turning right lines upon the dirt shoulder.

I try and do the right thing, but it always agitates someone (because I hold up someone behind me waiting to go straight, or I'm "jumping the queue" by entering the slip lane correctly).

Even if I did what everyone else was doing, my car would probably end up beached...which would annoy even more people :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:37 pm

The guy driving the blue 1980s Subaru AWD? With the 'rough as arse' tyres? Driving along the footpath/bikepath?

That is 'bogan'.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Now this would never happen if those damned cyclepath users had to be registered and wear number pla... Wait, wut???
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kodakmomentz

Postby kodakmomentz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Now this would never happen if those damned cyclepath users had to be registered and wear number pla... Wait, wut???
Exactly what I was thinking!

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 am

Scott_C wrote:Looking this up also reminded me that this is the only place on the Roe Hwy PSP where the continuing traffic on the PSP has to give way to traffic entering the PSP. Bikes heading southbound onto the PSP from Nicholson Road have right of way over eastbound bikes on the PSP. It never made sense to me as the eastbound traffic has just come out of a tunnel and has to look uphill and to the North (i.e. into the sun) to look for oncoming bikes.
Further down the Roe PSP there's another weird spot where the South St path joins the PSP. There's a ruler-straight section of path with give way markings painted in the middle, and cyclists heading up the PSP from South Street are supposed to give way to traffic coming down the hill, passing under the South St fwy feeder lane, and then 'joining' the PSP at a 45 degree angle.

What they should have done is put a bend in the South St path so it joined the rest of the PSP at a right angle, to make it obvious you're supposed to stop.

Technically the people coming down the hill are on the Main PSP, but I wouldn't stake my life on anyone giving way, or even realising they're supposed to. It's a dodgy corner and an accident waiting to happen.

Fortunately you rarely see any bike traffic down that way, but if it got busy there'd be near misses every day.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=south+st ... a&t=h&z=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't see the markings in that shot - but the main PSP goes under the bridge, and the path heading off to the left is the feeder for South St.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.