New laws on Motorcycle lane filtering NSW

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

New laws on Motorcycle lane filtering NSW

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am

http://www.news.com.au/national/new-laws-make-nsw-first-to-give-motorcyclists-approval-to-move-past-stalled-slow-cars/story-fncynjr2-1226838504353

Though not mentioned in that article;
- full licensed riders only
- 30kph speed limit
- not to the left of cars in the left lane

What are the laws on lane filtering for bicycles in NSW?
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 pm

BNA

Re: New laws on Motorcycle lane filtering NSW

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 pm

Wasn't it also for passing stationary traffic only, at least that's what the news article I read this morning said.

Regarding bicycles, you can pass a vehicle on the left including in the same lane as that vehicle (the lane had better be pretty wide) if its not turning left. You cannot straddle the line between two lanes of traffic as per any other vehicle - until this change, which allows motorcycles to do it in some circumstances. Bicycles get an exemption allowing us to ride on or partially over road edge markings, but not lane separator markings.
InTheWoods

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Yeh correct, can only lane filter when the cars are stationary
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby roberto73 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:11 am

IntheWoods, according to RR147 1(a), a cyclist or a motorbiker on a multi lane road cant cross a solid lane lane line to overtake a vehicle on the left, but could if it was a broken line, which is often the case. Nothing I can see forbids a cyclist riding in the same lane next to a vehicle (filtering left or right), though you have to give way to any other vehicle in that lane if changing line (148A).

Obviously a complicated bit of legislation required to allow more filtering for motorbikes, over what is apparently already legal.
roberto73

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:17 am

Roberto nobody can cross a solid lane line, I was talking about the solid edge line, which cyclists can ride partly or fully on whereas cars must stay in the lane.
InTheWoods

Postby roberto73 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:57 pm

what I said, cyclists cant cross a solid lane line. (an edge line is another thing) But they can cross a broken lane line. So not breaking RR147, same for motorbikes.

And nothing forbidding cycling in the same lane to the left or right of a car, except maybe RR 144 about leaving a safe distance.RR 146 only says a vehicle must stay in its lane, not that you cant filter.

found this about what rules apply- see point 24, where I reckon they have not read RR 147 correctly, but who am I to argue... also more info on the whole filtering business. http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/ ... /faqs.html
roberto73

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:49 pm

roberto73 wrote:what I said, cyclists cant cross a solid lane line. (an edge line is another thing) But they can cross a broken lane line. So not breaking RR147, same for motorbikes.

Can cross, but not ride on (ie.to lane split). Only time you are allowed on top of the lane separator is when changing lanes.
InTheWoods

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy