Punneet Puneet extradition status

jules21

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:20 pm

he needs to do the time - no disagreement. but my anger is mostly reserved for the way we wait for these deaths to happen before taking action. 100 other similar incidents that didn't end up hitting anyone go mostly unpunished.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:22 am

Xplora wrote:Yep - most young peoples' mistakes don't result in fatalities.
And then you'd hope they at least realize the severity of their actions and the effect on others. It is hard to percieve ANY acknowledgemrnt of the serious outcomes. It is almost as if the death of Dean Hofstee never amounted to anything.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:47 am

ldrcycles wrote:Dumb is me attempting to do a burnout on a deserted street late at night in my first car (a 4 cylinder Camry). Getting drunk and doing 150kmh is not dumb, it's inexcusable.
I would suggest it may depend on the source of the drunkeness. I can put my hand up to driving while drunk, wandering around the Dandenong Ranges near Melbourne. Luckily I had no motivation to drive at crazy speeds, but just followed the tail-lights of a car in front of me, for "a drive".

The rider on this was that it was the result of someone having spiked my drink :x . It was 1979, before all the conscientiousness of today. I had only had 2-3 drinks, then after another one I suddenly behaved really rashly, went out to the car to get a tape, could not read the tape label..... then decided as I was behind the wheel I'd go for a drive :o Thankfully, surviving this exploit, and the follow-on, was enough to put me right off any drinking binges.
Last edited by il padrone on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:49 am

jules21 wrote:he needs to do the time - no disagreement. but my anger is mostly reserved for the way we wait for these deaths to happen before taking action. 100 other similar incidents that didn't end up hitting anyone go mostly unpunished.
100 other similar non-drunk collisions that end up killing people go mostly unpunished. :cry:
Mandatory helmet law?

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:58 am

ldrcycles wrote:Dumb is me attempting to do a burnout on a deserted street late at night in my first car (a 4 cylinder Camry). Getting drunk and doing 150kmh is not dumb, it's inexcusable.
That is dumb, but try it in a morris miner 1000.......it was an anti dumb car and wouldn't do it.... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:14 am

A bit like my Moke Californian. 110 kmh was flat-out.
Mandatory helmet law?

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:46 am

il padrone wrote:A bit like my Moke Californian. 110 kmh was flat-out.
I know we are off topic, but I drove a Minnie Moke around Loy Yang for a year and It went into places where the 4x4s had trouble. Aggressive tyres and front wheel drive makes a lot of difference.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Update on Circus Puneet Rawal (Puneet Puneets real name is Puneet Kumar Rawal but the media stuffed their reporting for some time)

Tuesday 13th he appeared before the court for his fourth attempt at bail, this tieme with claims that he has a urinary tract infection and som other that is leife threatening. Court has ordered tests. With the misrepresentations, the vacuous defences and ludicrous delays so far put up one after the other and the total lack of remorse or concern with the victims one hopes that his family eventually bleeds itself to financial death.

Meanwhile the main issue, which at last count and as near as I can tell was actual court decision on the extradition, is set down for 24th.

http://www.indtvusa.com/indian-man-accu ... bail-plea/
Indian man accused in hit-and-run case in Australia files fourth bail plea
Added by on January 13, 2015.
Saved under India, Other News, Top News

STORY: A New Delhi court on Tuesday (January 13) sought medical report of Puneet Kumar, accused of fleeing to India in 2009 after mowing down an Australian student and injuring another, who filed his fourth bail application.

Kumar was charged by Victoria Police for causing death of 19-year-old Dean Hofstee and seriously injuring 20-year-old Clancy Coker in a road accident that happened in 2008. Both victims were students from Queensland.

Police had said alcohol levels in Kumar’s blood showed he was inebriated at the time of the accident.

On Tuesday, special public prosecutor, A.K. Vali, said the accused filed bail plea on medical grounds.

“Puneet has filed his bail application afresh; it is his fourth bail application. He is asking for grant of interim bail on medical ground. He has suggested that there is some problem with his urine and urinary infection and some such a disease has happened and occurred to him that he is likely to die because of that. That is what he is saying. Now the court has given direction today to the Safdarjung Hospital where he is being examined, to just check and see his condition and give a report. That report has been ordered to be sent to the court on 24th of January,” said Vali.

Kumar’s family accused Australia of racism, adding that the fugitive was attacked several times in Australia and the police did northing to defend him.

“The main matter has been posted for March 3 for the purpose of leading evidence,” said Vali.

After being arrested in India, following a widespread manhunt by the Victorian and Indian federal police, Interpol plans to push for his extradition to Australia, according to a police statement.

Puneet had gone to Australia to study hospitality. He fled the country in 2009 using a friend’s passport.

Puneet was arrested on November 29, 2013 after a five-year-long manhunt.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:34 am

Not letting go of this aye Colin?

Good. And thanks for the update. I have a special kind of hatred for this bloke.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:01 pm

if you don't have money, most indian hospitals are where you go to die out of the way of others. maybe he's looking for his extradition to be expedited so he can get better care here? ;)

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:12 am

I reckon that is the last we will see of this criminal as he absconds again. Bail to a bloke that already skipped a country is like a free ticket.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-17/i ... il/6551474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

Court had the temerity to state that he had served 18 months and he would only get 2 years for it in India. I won't be visiting India. If they think 2 years for killing DUI at 150kmh in suburbia is OK then they can get stuffed. They are having issues with certain other crimes because they just don't respect life.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:04 am

in other news the judge just purchased a new car. corrupt as all hell, but he was caught once so if he absconds he will possibly be caught again. eventually they'll run out of bribe money.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:51 am

Xplora wrote:Court had the temerity to state that he had served 18 months and he would only get 2 years for it in India. I won't be visiting India. If they think 2 years for killing DUI at 150kmh in suburbia is OK then they can get stuffed. They are having issues with certain other crimes because they just don't respect life.
Completely agree.

Although I do like curry, so I won't protest by giving that up ;).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Xplora wrote:Court had the temerity to state that he had served 18 months and he would only get 2 years for it in India. I won't be visiting India. If they think 2 years for killing DUI at 150kmh in suburbia is OK then they can get stuffed. They are having issues with certain other crimes because they just don't respect life.
No, the courts did not reference the differing sentences between the two jurisdictions, Puneet's lawyer did. Like much of Puneets lawyers statements it is of no consequence.

The $4,000 bond is worthless. They should have made it so punitive that it would give his family pause to think of the prospects of poverty. They had, over the years he was missing, stated often to authorities and the media that they knew not where he was which proved to be a blatant lie.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Just adding info. Looks like a date is set for Oct 2015
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-09/i ... rt/6608184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm seeing a rerun of the whole Christopher Skase saga. Just the names, locations and type of crime have changed.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:34 pm

I would pay money. A lot of money...to see that mongrel returned to Australia.

You see why I hate people? Gimmee a nice Pit Bull or Rottweiler any day. At least I know to be careful near one of them.

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:51 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:I'm seeing a rerun of the whole Christopher Skase saga. Just the names, locations and type of crime have changed.
Classic. "The Skase in Spain stays mainly off the plane". Puneet seems to be trying the same "I feel siiiick" excuse. I guess it worked for Skase and Alan Bond. Maybe we could start a crowd funding campaign to pay a bounty hunter to bring him to Australia to face our justice legal system.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:52 am

Bail extended.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 7569417802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:06 am

outnabike wrote:Bail extended.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 7569417802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you know this isn't all s's and giggles for him, drawing it out like this must be taking its toll on him. although not in the way he is claiming I'm sure.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:36 pm

If this is how a expedited treaty works between two friendly countries, it is a pretty hard road to hoe. It doesn't seem to be considered a priority and being on bail is just same old to Puneet. He has probably just continued as nothing is the matter.
It would be nice to see the hammer drop to give the Australian family some comfort in justice.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:40 pm

the court has to hear his plea of being unfit to travel or be put in jail in Australia - no matter if they suspect it's BS. we'd do the same. the wheels of justice turn slowly. very slowly in India. the true test will be of what the final decision is. most cases in India are resolved with money changing hands. but this one has a fair bit of scrutiny attached to it, so let's see what happens..

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:01 pm

jules21 wrote:
outnabike wrote:Bail extended.

you know this isn't all s's and giggles for him, drawing it out like this must be taking its toll on him. although not in the way he is claiming I'm sure.
Here's hoping the ongoing costs bankrupt mummy and daddy.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:03 am

jules21 wrote:the court has to hear his plea of being unfit to travel or be put in jail in Australia - no matter if they suspect it's BS. we'd do the same. the wheels of justice turn slowly. very slowly in India. the true test will be of what the final decision is. most cases in India are resolved with money changing hands. but this one has a fair bit of scrutiny attached to it, so let's see what happens..
Agree. The wheels of justice run slowly in countries that practice fair and uncorruptible law. And to be held in custody for a lengthy period while the sytems moves it'sponderous way forward is an injustice itself. Until the eventual granting of bail the courts have found against Puneet consistently. (I'm spleasantly surprised also that the media have also not fallen for Puneets family's attempts to apply public pressure to kill the extradition process.)

Though I do have a concern at the paltry surety the family had to put up. In view of the past history of Puneet fleeing and the past history of the family hiding and supporting him while maintaining that they did not know his whereabouts should have elicited a potentially crippling penalty if they tried the same again while on bail

The realy great thing about th is case is that Puneet never turned up for sentencing and so the lenght of sentence is still open to decision. I imagine that he will not get far with pleading for a light sentence for remorse and for accepting responsibility for his stupidity. :twisted: