Duncan Gay dithers over licensing

sumgy

Re: Duncan Gay dithers over licensing

Postby sumgy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:38 pm

Case closed.
No further discussion required.
Reflects the findings during the QLD Enquiry into Cycling Issues.

http://images.smh.com.au/file/2014/07/0 ... 4379505399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:12 pm

sumgy wrote:Case closed.
No further discussion required.
Reflects the findings during the QLD Enquiry into Cycling Issues.

http://images.smh.com.au/file/2014/07/0 ... 4379505399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:?: :?:

That was registration and that was 2 years ago. Last year Duncan Gay instigated a review of licensing. This is ongoing.

"In the coming months we will be getting cycling groups and communities around a table to discuss possible licensing options,"
-NSW Roads minister, Duncan Gay 2015.

I agree not much to discuss really but something to watch.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:05 pm

Invoking Godwin's law here:

Maybe we should test all cyclists, and the ones that pass can wear a badge on their jerseys at all times to let everyone know they're licensed. Maybe something like:

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:25 pm

That was information not released until provided under freedom of information this past week.
Duncan is grandstanding and using this for his own political purposes whilst also dithering over the previously agreed protected bikeways.
He is being backed into a corner from the release of this information and pressure is being put on The State of NSW for him to stand down.

This is now his 3rd investigation into registration and licencing.
Last edited by sumgy on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:23 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Invoking Godwin's law here:

Maybe we should test all cyclists, and the ones that pass can wear a badge on their jerseys at all times to let everyone know they're licensed. Maybe something like:
I find that incredibly offensive and so does Stephen Fry.
Can't we just tattoo barcodes onto a few different parts of the body instead?
Microchips would be even better...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:44 pm

though i feel some sadness for Emily Greenwood who obviously suffered serious injuries
I find it consoling that the SMH had to look back several years to find a similar incident.

I'm sure that registration isn't the answer - I'm reminded of this "accident" in which a girl in my eldest daughter's year at school was killed whilst standing at a tram stop - as far as I'm aware no action was taken against the driver(s) involved

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/1646949 ... -by-truck/

pretty sure this is the tip of the iceberg on pedestrian death/seriously injured by motorised vehicles on footpaths

as to insurance: costs are low for those that have it, which would suggest the market recognises that the risks are low - so cost for public funded cover for pedestrians and cyclists probably would be a fraction of a percent of roads budget

edited grammar

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:45 am

antigee wrote: as to insurance: costs are low for those that have it, which would suggest the market recognises that the risks are low - so cost for public funded cover for pedestrians and cyclists probably would be a fraction of a percent of roads budget
Totally agree. But don't forget that the state motoring accident bodies MAC, MAA, TAC etc already do cover pedestrians - for injuries from motor vehicles. They even covered an incident in which a woman was run over by her dog releasing the handbrake - no joke, that came up on another thread a while back. Yes the costs of extending this cover to pedestrian injuries from cyclists (and cyclist by cyclist injuries) would be relatively minuscule and make a lot of commonsense, but the objection is that the MAC is funded by motor vehicle rego, so why should it cover injuries not caused by motor vehicles? Not my personal objection, just an obvious one.

So we can't rego bikes cos its unworkable and undesirable, and if motorists don't want to contribute to non-motor injuries, where does the money come from? A small tax on new bicycles in this context doesn't actually seem so unreasonable.

Maybe I'm just saying that though cos all my bikes are retro and secondhand... :roll:

Having it come out of general taxation make more sense though, given that cyclists supposedly pay more for road infrastructure anyway because they don't take advantage of the various subsidies to motor vehicles. Could the government legally do that? Just quietly extend the coverage from the MACs to cover cyclist caused injuries, with the funds coming from general taxation?

hunch

Postby hunch » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:08 am

antigee wrote:I find it consoling that the SMH had to look back several years to find a similar incident.
Do know of another bad one a couple of years back requiring an ambulance, which was possibly unreported, on the same Anzac Bridge with another woman and a cyclist. I'd say that example was chosen due to government entities being sued to stoke the outrage. The article failed to mention those same entities were responsible for designing in, at best, dangerous features on the approaches for both pedestrians and cyclists, so hardly blameless!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:31 am

Mulger bill wrote:Deleted by moderator, watch yourself boy. :evil:
:lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:00 am

hunch wrote:
antigee wrote:I find it consoling that the SMH had to look back several years to find a similar incident.
Do know of another bad one a couple of years back requiring an ambulance, which was possibly unreported, on the same Anzac Bridge with another woman and a cyclist. I'd say that example was chosen due to government entities being sued to stoke the outrage. The article failed to mention those same entities were responsible for designing in, at best, dangerous features on the approaches for both pedestrians and cyclists, so hardly blameless!
I also seem to remember one on that path where a pedestrian climbed over the fence and jumped into the path of a cyclist from behind trees that line the path.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:24 pm

diggler wrote:Of course it is pure speculation why this accident occurred and it is not certain that a road rule test would have saved this child's life. However, IF it could have saved this child's life, wouldn't that be worth licensing?
More than likely, yes, it quite probably would have saved the child's life; he would never have been on the bike in the first place. Too much hassle for the parents to get him the license, the bike would never have been bought.

Which is exactly what Mr Duncan Gay wants. Is that what you want?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Lets say one of the states brought in Licensing or Registration. What would happen if you lived in another state and rode across the border? For example Surfers Paradise and Tweeds Heads
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:45 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Lets say one of the states brought in Licensing or Registration. What would happen if you lived in another state and rode across the border? For example Surfers Paradise and Tweeds Heads
More than likely (definitely if going from Surfers into the Great Satan) have to get the interstate license.

Theres precedent for that, too. So don't feel to hard done by as a cyclist :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:11 pm

If all this comes to pass, I'm gonna get a jersey made up with my avatar on the back and this:
on the left breast.

Top and bottom rockers around the patch will be "Duck" and "Funkin" respectively.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:42 pm

This video is what will force the issue:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=84 ... =2&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have to accept bicycle rego and licenses now. With that video, there is no way to argue against it.