Bicycle NSW repositioning and roadmap for the future

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bicycle NSW repositioning and roadmap for the future

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 am

I have just published an extensive interview with Sophie Bartho who is the new face of the organisation. They arn't establishing a sole CEO, rather key people for each department and Sophie takes on the PR and by default the advocacy component.

Interview: Sophie Bartho Reveals Bicycle NSW’s Roadmap for the Future

In May it was posted here in the forums: Bicycle NSW finally grows a pair which is apt. Based on their public image in recent years, I have taken the tough questions into the interview so it will be interesting, perhaps even surprising for some of these topics.

Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bicycle NSW repositioning and roadmap for the future

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:38 am

Interesting discussion / comments have followed the article.
John wrote:As a BUG member I say good riddance to BNSW; I welcome Bicycle Network’s arrival.../
John H wrote:As opposed to John (above) I am very unhappy with the approach taken by BN(V)and very dissatisfied with them as an advocacy group...
Corsair wrote:I left BNSW when it became apparent that Bicycle Network (then Victoria) offered better value membership and were actively promoting “cycling” Australia wide...
Nick D wrote:It’s interesting that ppl in NSW left BNSW to join BN and Victorians have left BN. It seems, the better you know them, the less you like them...
The comments offer a broad spectrum of personal opinions and are insightful.
Cycling is in my BNA

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:03 pm

I agree with Nick D

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 am

Interesting that she says that BNV have, in political speak, stabbed them in the back. I hope it gives them pause though, and gives them the motivation to actually be a bicycle advocate, rather than just a mouthpiece for a motoring lobby agenda with some ride organisation thrown in. Reality is that BNV are MUCH better at getting into the paper, and much better at organising rides. BNSW is the poor cousin in the face of such a behemoth. The simple fact is, IMO, that there is no real representation for a section of the community, say 10-20% of the population, who could consider riding a bike once the facts are put to them, and they have some hope of organising a route.

Strava Heatmaps, what a perfect solution for the new rider. Google Maps, another great help. BNSW doesn't have to pay for these resources, but would certainly do well to help publicise these resources. If the goal is getting more bums on saddles, commuting is the way to do it, otherwise they might as well call themselves cyclists - fitness/sport driven, everything they are trying to move away from. :idea: The difference between someone riding a BSO for fitness, vs a Colnago C59 for fitness, is merely degree. The commuter though, that's ubiquitous rider culture as seen in Europe and the like.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:58 am

The problem with ALL the state based cycling organisations is that they have become captive to the government through either funding and/or the hope that access to the decision makers brings results. Evidence suggests that this advocacy model (don't bite the hand that feeds you, don't rock the boat) is a complete failure in achieving the commonly desired infrastructure and road law improvements to increase cycling in the community. While BNSW suggests it has changed its ways the reality is that it remains wedded to a non-confrontational approach to its dealing with the government. Only an independent organisation which is willing to criticise government policy and take on the motoring organisations in the public relations battle has any hope of being successful at cycling advocacy.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Not wrong X. How it should be done...
http://cyclewatcher.wordpress.com/2014/ ... f-killing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Just start defaming the journalists who publish the garbage. The court coverage will get more hits than any blog ;)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks for the input, biker jk I found your comments on the current approach by advocacy groups particularly thought provoking.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks for the article Christopher. The three main reasons I quit my membership of Bicycle NSW were (1) the anti democratic behaviour of the board (2) the failure to engage with the membership and (3) the complete absence of any public advocacy.

I welcome the appointment of Ms Bartho & genuinely hope she is able to make a contribution to advocacy in NSW.

Regrettably however it appears that BNSW remains disinterested in engaging with its membership.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:25 pm

find_bruce wrote:Thanks for the article Christopher. The three main reasons I quit my membership of Bicycle NSW were (1) the anti democratic behaviour of the board (2) the failure to engage with the membership and (3) the complete absence of any public advocacy.

I welcome the appointment of Ms Bartho & genuinely hope she is able to make a contribution to advocacy in NSW.

Regrettably however it appears that BNSW remains disinterested in engaging with its membership.
Bruce
While I am not from NSW and do not know the history of BNSW or their engagement with their membership, I can say that Pip certainly indicated that this is not currently the case.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:40 pm

This is a matter on which I would love to be proved wrong. So far I am not seeing or hearing any indication of change in that regard.

A recent example is Darling Drive in Sydney where I am told by the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority that Bicycle NSW agreed that bikes should be banned from the road, despite the speed limit being reduced to just 40 km/h & being safer than the alternatives, at least IMO.

None the less I live in hope.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:59 am

Short moderation note - a seperate and off topic discussion/dispute has been completely removed from the forum.

Not pointing any fingers - it's gone and we all move on.
Cycling is in my BNA

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:10 am

Surgical strike!

Yeah Bruce that's pretty poor form. 40kmh is about as good as it gets.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:47 am

Xplora wrote:Yeah Bruce that's pretty poor form. 40kmh is about as good as it gets.
I am old and fat and slow & riding a flat bar commuter & even I can maintain 40 km/h along there

Interestingly this morning I noticed the bicycles prohibited signs have been removed. Perhaps AUbicycles' surgical strike powers work in the real world as well :D