Road Justice Campaign UK

greyhoundtom

Road Justice Campaign UK

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:15 am

Is there an equivalent website or active group similar to http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/ in Australia?

It seems to me that this is an excellent initiative.

yugyug

Re: Road Justice Campaign UK

Postby yugyug » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:18 am

I agree.

I note that the UK campaign is supported by Slater and Gordon a, multinational but Australian headquartered law firm. So why not? It seems to me they would be interested and be able to leverage their experience in the UK over here.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:40 am

It would be good if one of the Australian cycling advocacy groups organized a similar program as it could provide a way through the maze including the right legal advice and backing if you had a cycling accident that was caused by a motor vehicle.

But how do you get an organization such as Bicycling Victoria or the Amy Gillette Foundation to take on something like this, as personally other than organizing cycling events and looking for financial support I have found them somewhat lacking in enthusiasm when it comes to new initiatives.

More to the point, why does something such as this not already exist in Australia?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:26 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:More to the point, why does something such as this not already exist in Australia?
Read just about any contentious thread here for an idea Tom.

To the non enlightened, we're all just "bloody cyclists", an easy target demographic.

Inside, there's a dozen or more different tags we hang on ourselves, all serving to fracture unity.

To paraphrase Martin Niemöller: "First, they came for the MTBers and I did not speak out because I am not a MTBer." and so on...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Yes .... Our own worst enemies. :cry: :cry:

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:49 pm

Good reason for uniting with pedestrian advocacy. Obviously not scrooby. But really we have common goals and the recent ped-cyclist tension hyped up in the media does nothing but maintain the motoring status quo.