Dooring - ANOTHER man killed in Melbourne

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Another tragedy. :( Like all such incidents, quite avoidable.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... 3r31t.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A cyclist has been killed after he was doored and then hit by a truck in Melbourne's north, police say.

Police believe the 25-year-old Italian national was riding with his partner on Sydney Road, Brunswick, about 4.10pm on Friday when a woman opened the door of a parked car and knocked him onto the road.

He was then hit by a passing truck, a Victoria Police spokeswoman said.

Paramedics rushed to treat the man but he died at the scene, an Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said.

"Both the truck driver and the occupant of the parked car are assisting police with their inquiries," the police spokeswoman said.

Sydney Road is closed between Brunswick Road and Glenlyon Road, according to VicRoads.

The busy road is one of Melbourne's worst stretches for bike crashes, according to researchers.

Almost half of reported casualty crashes on the road in the past five years involved a cyclist, data shows.

There were 179 incidents in that time and 85 involved a bike rider, 25 of whom were were taken to hospital.

About 360 cyclists a day use Sydney Road in the two-hour morning peak.

In December, police launched a blitz to fine and educate cyclists, pedestrians and motorists on Sydney Road in response to crash data.
This is quite literally around the corner from me. :(

Sydney road is a known high risk area. The December police "blitz" mentioned consisted of fining cyclists for no helmets. :roll: How many people have to die before dooring is an issue that is tackled with appropriate education campaigns to motorists? The current reality is that 95% of the motoring public are pretty much unaware of the issue.

human909

Re: Dooring - man killed in Melbourne

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:16 pm

GRRRR....

After posting the last post and finishing my burger I headed home via Sydney road. While walking my bike without a helmet on my head I was challenged by a cop for not wearing a helmet. :evil: "About time to put on a helmet." :roll:

Police attitudes towards cycling safety consists of only one solution. This is a big part of the issue. :(

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:18 pm

And it comes a day after this announcement of works to improve cycling conditions n Sydney Rd .....

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/gener ... tions/783/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:35 pm

cyclotaur wrote:And it comes a day after this announcement of works to improve cycling conditions n Sydney Rd .....

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/gener ... tions/783/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that cyclotaur.

Right turns will be banned at 17 intersections between Albion and Barkly streets, car parking will be increased and relocated to improve sightlines and reduce dooring risk, and green surface treatment applied to highlight conflict points.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how this will help the dooring risk on Sydney Road. The dooring risk occurs next to the parked cars in the left hand lane not in the cycle lane which only exists in clearway times. Green paint won't work. There is no room for wider infrastructure. The only solution is to get rid of car parking (won't happen) or education of motorists and cyclists of the danger.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:06 pm

They are actually removing parking spots at some critical locations on Sydney Rd and providing replacement spots in side streets, I believe.

I don't ride down there, though every Melbournian knows Sydney Rd pretty well. Hopefully the works will reduce incidents long term.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 pm

human909 wrote:GRRRR....

After posting the last post and finishing my burger I headed home via Sydney road. While walking my bike without a helmet on my head I was challenged by a cop for not wearing a helmet. :evil: "About time to put on a helmet." :roll:

Police attitudes towards cycling safety consists of only one solution. This is a big part of the issue. :(
It's idiots like that that makes everybody hate Plods. Nope, that naff stereotype doesn't work either...

I hope you advised him to read the big book of using the roads all proper like... :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Mulger bill wrote:It's idiots like that that makes everybody hate Plods. Nope, that naff stereotype doesn't work either...
:) In their defense I will not hate or dislike the plods from today's exchange. I'll explain why...
Mulger bill wrote:I hope you advised him to read the big book of using the roads all proper like... :roll:
I did arc up and responded "A helmet wouldn't have made a difference here today, would it?" He sullenly responded in the negative. I continued and mouthed off something about the lack of meaningful work done to stop dooring incidents. The cop squared himself to approach me while his mate sensibly intervened and diffused any further confrontation....

To give the cops the benefit of the doubt I'm sure it was a stressful and sad day for those policemen involved on the scene. Frustration and helplessness at not being able to help can manifest itself into inappropriate backlash like I experienced. (Likewise I mouthed off in response due to the emotions that can be seen in the previous post.)

So I am happy to forgive the individual cop involved today. :D I'm less happy in the system that creates the image of rogue cyclists and helmets being the only solution to cyclist safety. :?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:33 pm

FFS, parking should simply be banned on the whole stretch of that road. Catch the bloody tram, or ride a bike, or walk. Our society's priorities are failing us.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:49 am

The petition for change is now up:

https://www.change.org/p/moreland-city- ... ef=Default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:31 am

RIP the young man in Sydney Road.

There but for the grace......

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:53 am

il padrone wrote:FFS, parking should simply be banned on the whole stretch of that road. Catch the bloody tram, or ride a bike, or walk. Our society's priorities are failing us.
Sydney Rd is a wreckage of a street and is to be avoided either by car, tram or bike. A perfect example on how not to plan city infrastructure.

I don't want to derail the main theme of this thread but what about the bike lane running along behind the train stations? I don't frequently cycle in the area but I've used that path once or twice in the past. It wasn't perfect but I considered it infinitely safer than Sydney Rd.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:16 am

Thoughts are definitely with that unfortunate soul and his loved ones. I passed the McDonalds where it happened this morning expecting to see a few flowers or something but nothing there yet.

We use Sydney road on a daily basis and at least compared to a few years ago there is much more cyclist traffic which helps push the cause for better facilities. That ridiculous little bike lane is a hazard though in that it gives no room for error. Apparetly Greg Barber of the Greens has called for the TAC to run a campaign on pedestrian and cyclist awareness.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:31 am

Pah!! Pedestrian and cycle awareness translates as "the Police fining cyclists for not wearing helmets".

It is motorist awareness and penalties for opening car doors in traffic that is wanted :evil:

Better yet, ban the car-parking on Sydney Rd and see the traders' sales and profits benefit. It has happened in many other cities around the world.
Mandatory helmet law?

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:59 am

Like it or not Sydney Rd (note the name ... ) always has been and always will be a key north-south corridor to/from the city.

Public transport in the corridor could be vastly improved if they under-grounded the Upfield rail line and linked it directly into the proposed Melbourne Metro via Royal Pde rather than sending it via the Zoo and North Melbourne.

Parking in Sydney Rd could be banished to back streets and released space above the now buried rail line and the tram could be totally removed from Sydney Rd and the available space reallocated to wider pavements, dedicated bike lanes and one lane of traffic each way.

Etcetera etc.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Underground rail would be great but I don't see why the tram would need to go. Perhaps traffic could be diverted to run above an underground rail? Unfortunately I can't see it happenin' and I think there is talk of widening the rail passage to allow for freight trains.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:Sydney Rd is a wreckage of a street and is to be avoided either by car, tram or bike. A perfect example on how not to plan city infrastructure.
I like Sydney Road. (Its my hood.)

Cafe, restaurant and night life of Sydney Road is getting better every year. It is the river that gives Brunswick its life and character and the dead wood is progressively being removed from it. The Wilson Avenue community park trial was an amazing success and civil works are now under way (finishing May) to make it permanent.

Traffic however is clearly horrible. It is one of the slowest streets in the city. It boggles the mind why anybody would drive down it. I personally don't mind cycling it, I do it all the time. But knowledge, caution, skills and ego make me think I'm riding down that road.

It clearly needs to have less on street parking. But realistically that is not going to happen in the near future. It also doesn't fix the dooring problem that exists ALL over Mebourne. Like ilpadrone says. We need TAC campaigns on the issue. We need appropriate enforcement. And we need police being aware of cyclist safety beyond foam hats.
Last edited by human909 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:19 pm

cyclotaur wrote:And it comes a day after this announcement of works to improve cycling conditions n Sydney Rd .....

Re the "bike lanes have landed" article down the page I am baffled as to why they consider the narrow bike lane a win. Try using it in peak hour and you will see what I mean. Even in the photo you can see the car behind the driver will be inches from the cyclist as it passes. Where has the bike got to go? Into the curb if they value their life. Ironically this is the exact spot where yesterdays tragedy occurred.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:19 pm

Safer streets, less parking, and traders, in Portland, Oregon.
Michael Andersen at Bike Portland is reporting that, rather than squawk over the potential loss of parking, a group of business owners on Portand’s 2nd and 3rd avenues is actively lobbying the city for protected bike lanes that would remove space for motor vehicles.
Mandatory helmet law?

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:12 pm

Andy wrote:Re the "bike lanes have landed" article down the page I am baffled as to why they consider the narrow bike lane a win. Try using it in peak hour and you will see what I mean. Even in the photo you can see the car behind the driver will be inches from the cyclist as it passes. Where has the bike got to go? Into the curb if they value their life. Ironically this is the exact spot where yesterdays tragedy occurred.
Yes. The bike lanes are next to useless. And despite their narrowness these are actually legal bike lanes that you are apparently obliged to use. I am liberal with my lane claiming regardless. Though I rarely ride Sydney road during clearway times.

For those who are unfamiliar. There is actually more space for cyclists during non clearway times. However this space is in the door zone. I always see cyclists hugging the doors of cars. I personally ride at the edge, the doors car get me but they'd have to be trying hard.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Aren't you only required to use them where "practicable"? I would argue they are unsafe and therefore not "practicable" to use.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:04 pm

warthog1 wrote:Aren't you only required to use them where "practicable"? I would argue they are unsafe and therefore not "practicable" to use.
+1
Mandatory helmet law?

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Yep, practicable is the word. I haven't looked for ages but I don't think there is any signs either to indicate it is a bike lane so technically it is not a bike lane? The picture shows a nice patch of smooth tar but the reality is that a major portion of the south bound lane is potholed and or jarringly uneven. When they created the lanes in 2010? I recall it was apparently for "trial purposes".

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:42 pm

Andy I was going to contradict you. But from what I can see now there are no longer bike lane signs on Sydney road!

I'm 99% sure there used to be. Heading north there were signs saying Bike Lane 4pm-6pm. Clearly visible on Google streetview. The area was updated last year and from what I can see the signs aren't there.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Yeah I looked at street view too after that post but only for the south bound lane. I'm pretty sure there were no signs heading into the city at least in the northern section of Sydney Rd. I tend to shimmie through back streets including DeCarle when heading home.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:28 pm

human909 wrote:Traffic however is clearly horrible. It is one of the slowest streets in the city. It boggles the mind why anybody would drive down it. I personally don't mind cycling it, I do it all the time. But knowledge, caution, skills and ego make me think I'm riding down that road.
I think I'm pretty savvy when it comes to road awareness but having experienced being doored at first hand recently near the junction of Queensberry St and Rathdowne St before Christmas, no amount of savviness, caution or skill will help. I got lucky on that occasion and although shaken, came out physically unscathed. However, two things I took away from the incident are:

1) People are unaware of cyclists when in their car; and

2) Police (and by extension, politicians), are not interested.

It needs an educational campaign and stronger laws/penalties. I think the fine for dooring someone in Victoria is $300 which is seriously low. This is penalising the consequence, not the action. Every dooring could be fatal with only luck dictating the outcome.