Trevtassie

9News Poll

Postby Trevtassie » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:04 am

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: 9News Poll

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:54 am

I couldn't in good conscience say yes to their simplistic question. "Should cyclists be held blameless for all crashes involving cars?". No. Even with strict liability bicycles can be found at fault. The usual commercial media dross.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:10 am

More than willing to put a 'yes' vote up there, as there will be precious little to give any sense of balance from these crass-meeja ghouls !!

BTW, under the Dutch system for civil liability, cyclists at fault are almost never held liable for any more than 50%.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Trevtassie wrote:Please get on here and vote
A bulls**t poll with a pile of bias under it. (Look at the examples).

I expect anything other than 99% "no"

At what point does this "editorial" become political advertising? Or incitement to violence?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:44 pm

Good question Thoglette.

8% for. No surprise. The lack of nuance is embarrassing tbh.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:18 pm

:roll: Way to phrase a question to only get the answer that fits your agenda
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:25 am

Mububban wrote::roll: Way to phrase a question to only get the answer that fits your agenda

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:16 am

Why dignify a stupid question with a response at all? The problem I see here is that a supposedly legitimate and generally accessible news service is able to so disingenuously manipulate an issue, purely and for no other reason than it's own commercial advancement, without attracting overt scrutiny or scorn from the general populace? When a society is ruled by mass media, popular culture and ignorance it's doomed to rot in a collaborative cerebral cesspit of its own mutually celebrated retardation.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:00 am

thecaptn wrote:The problem I see here is that a supposedly legitimate and generally accessible news service is able to so disingenuously manipulate an issue, purely and for no other reason than it's own commercial advancement,
According to Turnbull, only the ABC has a responsibility to "be balanced". (Cite coming - see West Aust columns yesterday)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:19 pm

thecaptn wrote:Why dignify a stupid question with a response at all?
Rantificating types will on the whole equate silence with agreement.
thecaptn wrote:The problem I see here is that a supposedly legitimate and generally accessible news service is able to so disingenuously manipulate an issue, purely and for no other reason than it's own commercial advancement, without attracting overt scrutiny or scorn from the general populace? When a society is ruled by mass media, popular culture and ignorance it's doomed to rot in a collaborative cerebral cesspit of its own mutually celebrated retardation.
I get the feeling that the tipping point may have already passed but nobody noticed because of the latest shock burnt polenta revelations on Mymasterrenovoice...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:21 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
thecaptn wrote:The problem I see here is that a supposedly legitimate and generally accessible news service is able to so disingenuously manipulate an issue, purely and for no other reason than it's own commercial advancement, without attracting overt scrutiny or scorn from the general populace? When a society is ruled by mass media, popular culture and ignorance it's doomed to rot in a collaborative cerebral cesspit of its own mutually celebrated retardation.
I get the feeling that the tipping point may have already passed but nobody noticed because of the latest shock burnt polenta revelations on Mymasterrenovoice...
I totally recommend having a look at the comedy/drama TV show of Newsroom. An entertaining show that has a serious message about the state of the news. (I suppose that the same could have been said about the Frontline many years ago too.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Thoglette wrote:According to Turnbull, only the ABC has a responsibility to "be balanced". (Cite coming - see West Aust columns yesterday)
See Paul Murray's opinion column in The West 4 July - I can't find an online version. Usually that's not a bad thing :)

Also in http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-02/d ... sm/6587196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malcomn Turnbull wrote: (The ABC) is independent of government, but it has a higher duty, it has a duty of objectivity that the rest of the media does not. They can be as opinionated as they like.
emphasis mine.

So the SMH can act like a shock-jock-on-acid without any consequences, apparently.