BN spreading

Wheelsucka

BN spreading

Postby Wheelsucka » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:30 am

So apparently Bicycle Network are in the process of swallowing Bicycle Queensland. Not really a huge surprise given they have been supplying them their magazine, running their mass events and now staff.

Given BN already cover WA, Tassie and of course Vic, with a supposedly small number in NSW plus have put out feelers in NT, can we now say there actually is going to be a truly national cycling advocacy group ?

As an ex brisbanite, I'm torn for and against this but concerned given the facile campaigns BN have run since Harry Barber left.

il padrone

Re: BN spreading

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:32 pm

....and before Harry Barber left. With all their facile actions and lap-dog policies, they have been an irrelevancy for the last 20 years.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Wheelsucka wrote:Given BN already cover WA,
Hadn't noticed them here. I presume that's where BWA get their magazines from, but BWA are their own people, from my observations.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 pm

First I've heard of it. What is the source of your information?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:03 am

Wheelsucka wrote: Given BN already cover WA, Tassie and of course Vic, with a supposedly small number in NSW plus have put out feelers in NT, can we now say there actually is going to be a truly national cycling advocacy group ?
In what way is bnv a cycling advocacy group? They are paid for by the road lobby and junk food companies and opposi g safe passing laws. I sure as hell dont want a group that behaves like that claiming to speak for cyclists

Wheelsucka

Postby Wheelsucka » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:53 am

Heard this from a BQ staff member recently.

Harry had his faults but its hard to argue with their success of getting better riding conditions in Vic versus the rest of the country. For those of you who have ridden Melbourne I can thoroughly recommend it

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:41 am

Is this the same Harry responsible for the quotes in this?

http://www.news.com.au/national/melbour ... 7443443739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The man's a moron. If this goes through, I give Southbank 18 months before bikes are banned there as well.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Doyles' brain-fart :D (he's backed away from it now, apparently). Barber is just a lap-dog.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:50 pm

fat and old wrote:Is this the same Harry responsible for the quotes in this?

http://www.news.com.au/national/melbour ... 7443443739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The man's a moron. If this goes through, I give Southbank 18 months before bikes are banned there as well.
SOP for churnos in this case is to ring/text around their circle of pet talking heads until they can get the opinion they want to project, preferably from an "authority".
That's why they chose Harry and not the current bloke.

And if they do close Southbank, wanna join me for some black beer runs?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Noted a copy of the Aug-Sep 2015 magazine at work.....hidden at the back of the copy...... hence it was folded open at Page74 by a bright spark

"Call for nominations to the Bicycle Network Board"
...."The board seeks candidates for election with demonstrated skills and relevant experience".."also seeks to complement the skills, background and experience of the current members"

It asks you send a message on the web site or ph the (03) number

nominations open 18 August....deadline is 1 September 2015 apparently...... with the candidates revealed 7 September 2015 on their website.

(in no way affiliated with your friends just reporting detail on pg74)

Rob

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:31 am

Wheelsucka wrote:Heard this from a BQ staff member recently.

Harry had his faults but its hard to argue with their success of getting better riding conditions in Vic versus the rest of the country. For those of you who have ridden Melbourne I can thoroughly recommend it
In what way have they improved riding conditions in Victoria? My understanding is that the roll out of bicycle infrastructure in Melbourne has been initiated by local councils.

Meanwhile, BNV have lobbied for higher fines for cyclists, attack other bicycle advocacy groups, are funded by motoring organisations and have out-dated policies on passing and helmet laws.

BNV are successful not because they fight for what cyclists need, but because they capitulate to mainstream politics and because they charge lots of money for mass rides.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:13 pm

yugyug wrote:In what way have they improved riding conditions in Victoria? My understanding is that the roll out of bicycle infrastructure in Melbourne has been initiated by local councils.
Yep. Pretty much. BN(V) have done a great job of claiming credit for various things. Maybe sometime they do deserve some credit. But I'm certainly not the only one who is quite skeptical. Willing councils do seem to consult and discuss things with BN(V) and get their input. So BN(V) might do something but only after the council gets the ball rolling.

There are a few councils that are very cycle friendly. City of Melbourne and City of Yarra. Moreland seems to be joining the party, driven by the reality of the hipsters, students and gentrified young professions that are now transforming Brunswick.

The rest of the councils are well behind and you wont see BN(V) being particularly active changing that.
yugyug wrote:BNV are successful not because they fight for what cyclists need, but because they capitulate to mainstream politics and because they charge lots of money for mass rides.
Especially the last one. BN(V) have plenty of money. Money=power. What incentive do they have to rock the boat?