Sydney Road bike lane proposal

ironhanglider

Re: Sydney Road bike lane proposal

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:51 pm

Oddly enough I used to commute from Windsor to Richmond via Chapel St.

For the most part I rode between the tramlines, or otherwise I was on the dividing line between the lanes. However I was a faster than average cyclist, so I would ride at close to traffic speed, or faster for most of the way, so my impression of what was safe or not would be very different to those who are slower than average.

It always seemed like a perfectly safe commute to me.

I have also been amused by the objections to the recent proposals to reduce the speed limit on Chapel St to 30km/h, since for the most part that is a purely aspirational speed for cars.

Cheers,

Cameron

fat and old

Re: Sydney Road bike lane proposal

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:20 am

human909 wrote:
il padrone wrote:Hmm. I don't ride on Sydney Rd, but when I do ride tram routes I'm not so confident about this :?:
I would say that car-bicycle behaviour is FAR better on Sydney Road than most other similar roads say in the Eastern Suburbs. (Burke Rd, Glenferry Road, Chapel St.) Traffic speeds are lower an car behavior is generally better. Chapel St can be absolutely a nightmare.
Like IHG, I find Chapel to be ok. Not as good as inner north but not as bad as the others you mention. Like wise Swan St, whereas Victoria can be dodgy.

To be fair, there's a fair difference in the use of those streets. Chapel and Church (North of Princes Hwy), Sydney Rd, Brunswick and Smith St (to name a few) are true shopping strips that carry little "through" traffic (with the exception of Brunswick St). Glenferrie Rd and Burke Rd are true major Nth-Sth arterials, for better or worse. Victoria is East-West.