Harold Scruby again - where are the cycling advocacy groups?

wombata

Harold Scruby again - where are the cycling advocacy groups?

Postby wombata » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:14 pm

I saw this article in the Daily Telegraph today about speed limits for cyclists on shared paths: http://www.pressreader.com/australia/th ... 9/TextView" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I was shaking my head, I pondered how one person (Harold Scruby) seems to be able to get more publicity for his cause than perhaps all of the cycling advocacy groups we have in this country put together.

HappyHumber

Re: Harold Scruby again - where are the cycling advocacy gro

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:28 pm

Nut jobs sell papers - or rather generate clickthroughs these days?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:09 pm

wombata wrote:I saw this article in the Daily Telegraph today about speed limits for cyclists on shared paths: http://www.pressreader.com/australia/th ... 9/TextView" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I was shaking my head, I pondered how one person (Harold Scruby) seems to be able to get more publicity for his cause than perhaps all of the cycling advocacy groups we have in this country put together.
You could dust off your fax machine (if it still works), call yourself an advocacy group of some sort and spam the offices of politicians and newspapers with endless news releases being anti-pedestrian about everything.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:You could dust off your fax machine (if it still works), call yourself an advocacy group of some sort and spam the offices of politicians and newspapers with endless news releases being anti-pedestrian.
Won't fly that way. Skruloose and t'meeja have a common enemy so 'Arrold is an asset for them. My fax machine would be on their blocked list.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:
wombata wrote:I saw this article in the Daily Telegraph today about speed limits for cyclists on shared paths: http://www.pressreader.com/australia/th ... 9/TextView" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could dust off your fax machine (if it still works), call yourself an advocacy group of some sort and spam the offices of politicians and newspapers with endless news releases being anti-pedestrian about everything.
Yes but the problem is that no one does so Harold gets a free run at goal every time. And our advocacy groups do stuff all and nothing about it. It must be great to have a job where you can spend endless days looking at clouds.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Relating to both this and GM's thread...

Scruby's gigs...
Member of the former National Road Safety Strategy Panel (Australian Transport Safety Bureau) for 3 years
Member of the Road Trauma Committee (Royal Australasian College of Surgeons)
Member of the Australian College of Road Safety (Formerly on National Executive Committee)
Member of the RTA (NSW) Road Safety Advisory Committee
Formerly Deputy Mayor of Mosman and Chairman of the Traffic Committee for 5 years
National spokesperson
Can anyone in cycling advocacy match that? Or his fellow directors
Assoc Professor (Dr) Rob Atkinson - Representing the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons - Road Trauma Committee - Spokesperson South Australia
Professor (Dr) Danny Cass - Representing Kidsafe
David Hope - (Secretary/Treasurer) Formerly Representing Federation of Parents and Citizens Association
Assoc Professor (Dr) Susan Liew - Representing the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons - Road Trauma Committee - Co-spokesperson Victoria
Ray Shuey - Former Assistant Commissioner - Victoria Police (Traffic) - Co-spokesperson Victoria
Assoc Professor (Dr) Daryl Wall - Representing the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons - Road Trauma Committee - Spokesperson Queensland
No? Well get started. Get some heavyweights on board, not media celebrities. Get the cops on board, not offside.

Note....I don't know if there is or isn't a comparable list of people in any cycling advocacy group. If so....even worse.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Yeah, Harold's done alright for a bloke who got tired of marketing jeans back in the 1970s.
Complain about him all you want (I do) but he is more clever than a whole bunch of us combined.
Not my circus, not my monkeys