We dont do ourselves any favours . . .

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: We dont do ourselves any favours . . .

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:14 pm

silentC wrote:
Standing on the pedals is still 'sitting astride', and thus quite within the intent of the rule.
I think if we were to be thoroughly pedantic, 'standing' and 'sitting' are mutually exclusive. But anybody who gave you a ticket for it would have to be out to get you I reckon.
Likely.

Thing is, the spirit and intent of the law in this case are sufficiently at odds with the letter. It'd be easy to hide a grudge or bigotry behind the gap.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Thing is, the spirit and intent of the law in this case are sufficiently at odds with the letter. It'd be easy to hide a grudge or bigotry behind the gap.
No. The letter gives a clear statement of the rule.
if the bicycle is equipped with a seat—not ride the bicycle seated in any other position on the bicycle
Firstly - if no seat fitted you can do what you like

Secondly, even if there is a seat fitted, the rule only applies if you are seated - "not ride seated in any other position". You are not given instructions about how or where to stand. But standing is not excluded :P

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

softy

Postby softy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:27 pm

I'm not "standing" for this!

;)

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:39 am

But standing is not excluded
I think if you want to talk about intention of the legislation, I doubt that the intention was that if you are not sitting, you can do what you want. That would lead to a ridiculous situation where you could be fined for sitting side saddle, but not for standing on the top tube.

If they wanted to include standing, clause a) would have said "The rider of a bicycle must - ride positioned astride the rider's seat ...". Sit has a very specific meaning and excludes standing.

It's clear to me that they want you to sit on the damn thing while you're hogging the road.

And I don't think that the NSW road rules cover what you do on a bicycle in a gymnasium in Hong Kong or Germany :D
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:02 am

The point about the stop sign being there due to the poorer visibility that motorists get due to being further back from the front of their vehicle is a good one.

It probably leads to the point that certain classes of road users should be exempt or have a different rule. We see this often, for example - No Right Turn - vehicles under 3m exempted.

On an intersection like that, its pretty clear that there is no real need for cyclists to stop as the vision is excellent. Would a separate rule work for bikes?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:05 am

Xplora wrote: Car drivers have licences to prove they can use the road without needing signs constantly as well.
That's a funny one!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:07 am

^^^ CAN use the road, not DO use the road :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:41 am

silentC wrote:If they wanted to include standing, clause a) would have said "The rider of a bicycle must - ride positioned astride the rider's seat ...". Sit has a very specific meaning and excludes standing.

It's clear to me that they want you to sit on the damn thing while you're hogging the road.
Read the rule again - it does not say must ride seated. Yes, it is intended that you should be positioned on the seat (if fitted), it excludes sitting anywhere else, but standing there is not excluded.
Mandatory helmet law?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:58 am

Hmm, better not do any of this then...

I haven't seen anyone descending like that in a while out on the road.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:14 am

Yeah, this sort of descending was probably illegal too..... but essential for us :o

Mandatory helmet law?

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:16 am

but standing there is not excluded
It doesn't exclude doing a head stand either. Or dancing Swan Lake on the top tube whilst wearing a pair of army boots and juggling chainsaws. Stupid legislators!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:17 am

As recently as last Saturday actually :)
- Me

kb

Postby kb » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:47 pm

g-boaf wrote:Hmm, better not do any of this then...

I gave it a try on the boulie a couple of weeks ago, just for fun. Coasting is fine but pedalling is quite awkward.

queequeg

We dont do ourselves any favours . . .

Postby queequeg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:52 pm

il padrone wrote:
silentC wrote:If they wanted to include standing, clause a) would have said "The rider of a bicycle must - ride positioned astride the rider's seat ...". Sit has a very specific meaning and excludes standing.

Read the rule again - it does not say must ride seated. Yes, it is intended that you should be positioned on the seat (if fitted), it excludes sitting anywhere else, but standing there is not excluded.
http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw ... /s245.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

245 Riding a bicycle

The rider of a bicycle must:

(a) sit astride the rider’s seat facing forwards (except if the bicycle is not built to be ridden astride), and
(b) ride with at least 1 hand on the handlebars, and
(c) if the bicycle is equipped with a seat-not ride the bicycle seated in any other position on the bicycle.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

In NSW at least, 245(a) requires you to sit, and to only sit on the fitted saddle.

The proposed Amendment to the rules is to remove the word "sit" from 245(a) and replace it with "be".

2 Australian Road Rules 11th Amendment Package - Explanation of Amendments August 2015

Rule 245 requires that cyclists sit (astride) at all times while riding. However, it is normal practice for cyclists to ride standing on the pedals, for example while cycling uphill.
The proposed amendment will align the road rules with current cycling practices.

Source: http://www.ntc.gov.au/Media/Reports/(BE ... C6855).pdf
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:10 am

So 'look ma, no hands' is out too. Spoil all our fun. :(
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:19 am

Stop signs..... yeah !!

Mandatory helmet law?

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:47 am

il padrone wrote:Stop signs..... yeah !!

You can't compare that to the original video though, although i'm sure people do get booked for similar things.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:06 pm

BenGr wrote:

You can't compare that to the original video though, although i'm sure people do get booked for similar things.
This one is funny because one of the cops that went through the stop sign had earlier busted cyclists for rolling through stop signs
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:26 pm

BenGr wrote:

Similar things
She had pedalled past the tram slowly after passengers had got off ''to get in front of the tram before it started moving'', she said, to avoid ''getting squished between [it and] a parked vehicle''.

However, the police saw it differently, and fined Lena $292.
Mandatory helmet law?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:13 pm

A good example of where one may perform an action to improve their safety, or perceived safety where that action requires an infringement of the law.

Riding on the footpath is probably the most common law broken to improve safety or perceived safety, particularly in Sydney
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?