Bicycle Advocacy

AlexHuggs

Bicycle Advocacy

Postby AlexHuggs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I've had to take several weeks of riding because of health (which ironically why I started in the first place, long story but on the mend). Anyway, I thought I'd engage in a bit of advocacy while I have less time on the road and have recently written to my local developer (living in a green fields community in Perth) and to WA Labor who were inviting feedback on recent policies. I'll include the text of each of those emails below in case they're a helpful template or inspiration for others, but I was wondering what other suggestions people have for engaging in cycling advocacy? I'm a pretty non-confrontational guy and try to be constructive wherever possible, so not looking to start a revolution or anything. Thoughts? What's worked and what hasn't?

AlexHuggs

Re: Bicycle Advocacy

Postby AlexHuggs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Here's what I wrote to the Labor Party and cc'd my local candidate. Pretty lengthy (and no response).

I am writing to commend WA Labor on your vision for Metrohubs and specifically for cycling. While your ‘A Better Cycling Future’ discussion paper raises a number of worthy ideals (although I’m not sure how many are really new), as a cyclist I hope you will give the following serious consideration. I believe that, with proper support, cycling is a real solution to easing congestion on our roads and reducing the obesity epidemic.

- Shared paths and dedicated bicycle lanes are adequate in some cases, but separate dedicated bike PATHS (not just lanes with painted lines on the road) should be considered wherever possible within urban and suburban settings. That is, separated road, bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure. This would fit particularly well in the CBD and metrohubs.

- Naturally I believe a fully interconnected cycling system is a must, regardless of whether that is paths or lanes, with adequate attention given to cyclists needs at intersections. As a resident of Ellenbrook I consider my suburb a missed opportunity to provide a model of cycling infrastructure. One recent development has a bike lane that runs through car door zones and terminates at roundabouts with no where to go except the road. It was a lazy, illogical, dangerous and unnecessary decision by planners.

- Implement the so called ‘Idaho Stop’ rules that allow cyclists to treat red lights as stop signs and stop signs as give way signs. In fact, a cyclist can usually safely negotiate an intersection with a ‘rolling stop’. This can ease help congestion and is often actually safer for cyclists (as a motorist I was once rear-ended when I stopped at a stop sign).

- Cyclists of all ages should be able to ride on footpaths with appropriate rules (safe riding speed, give way to pedestrians). There will be (and has been) a predictable outcry that will soon die away when people see the sky has fallen.

- Mandatory helmet laws should be eased under certain conditions, particularly when not riding on the road. As a commuter I will always where a helmet, but there a times I want to slip to the shops (less than 2km) and it seems ridiculous to have to do so. If I was able to ride on footpaths and/or dedicated footpaths this would be quite safe, more convenient and, I believe, encourage more people to cycle.

- Allow cyclists to ride across pedestrian crossings (when it doesn’t endanger other users). As someone with a medical condition until recently, it was safer for me to get off the road as quickly as possible, particularly at major intersections.

- Although difficult to enforce, the 1 metre passing rule for motorists is a useful safety education tool.

- Make cycle awareness part of driver licensing with drivers having to resit their theory every 5-10 years (this would benefit all road users, not just cyclists).

My Story:

I have a 13 year old daughter who is keen to start cycling to her different activities. She hasn’t ridden since early childhood and is not at all confident on the roads. Technically it is illegal for her to ride on the footpaths. She has a bit of a weight problem and I would love for her to be able to ride regularly. What if she was 18 under these conditions? Or an immigrant not used to bikes or our roads? I believe allowing bikes on footpaths is a must.

I recently had a medical suspension from driving and started riding to work and have quickly become ‘hooked’. Although I have ridden all my life, regular commuting is new to me, especially commuting from the outer to the inner suburbs (Ellenbrook to Redcliffe at 20km+ each way). I was surprised at just how poor and inconsistent Perth’s cycling infrastructure is.

Kind regards

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:12 pm

And this to our developer (a joint initiative between Landcorp and private developers - Ellenbrook is still winning international awards for its design).

I am writing as a resident, who has greatly appreciated raising my family in Ellenbrook for nearly 13 years. I and my family have recently taken an interest in cycling following a medical suspension from driving and consequently I have become acutely aware of cycling conditions here. While much of the design of Ellenbrook has received well deserved recognition internationally, sadly the development is a missed opportunity in class-leading cycling infrastructure. In fact, it is downright second class.

The Parkway, near where I live, is a recent example of cycle lane design that fails dangerously. The cycle lane is too narrow, passes through car door zones and goes nowhere - it comes to an end with literally nowhere to go except into the main flow of traffic. It is so bad the design beggars belief in an otherwise marvellously designed community. More broadly, dedicated cycling infrastructure is virtually non-existent in Ellenbrook when in reality there was ample space to build an intelligently targeted 3 mode transport system with separate bike and pedestrian paths in and around the town centre and schools.

I understand that times have changed since Ellenbrook was started and one cannot wind the clock back, so to speak, but I appeal to you to consider intelligent, world-leading cycling infrastructure in the remaining developments, especially around the town centre where it makes a great deal of sense, as well as in future LWP developments in other parts of the city. It would be wonderful if Ellenbrook and other LWP developments gained worldwide notoriety for its world-leading (if belated) pedestrian and bicycle friendly infrastructure.

One only has to look to the Netherlands and Denmark for examples of world-class cycling infrastructure and Bicycles WA is an excellent resource locally.

Thank you for your consideration of my comments.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:18 pm

Keep this up, let us know what has gone well. Expect a delay but if you get a response with a contact person and phone number, plan to call them.
Cycling is in my BNA

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:20 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:I've had to take several weeks of riding because of health (which ironically why I started in the first place, long story but on the mend). Anyway, I thought I'd engage in a bit of advocacy while I have less time on the road and have recently written to my local developer (living in a green fields community in Perth) and to WA Labor who were inviting feedback on recent policies. I'll include the text of each of those emails below in case they're a helpful template or inspiration for others, but I was wondering what other suggestions people have for engaging in cycling advocacy? I'm a pretty non-confrontational guy and try to be constructive wherever possible, so not looking to start a revolution or anything. Thoughts? What's worked and what hasn't?
Revolutions usually are started by people who weren't looking to start them. ;)

Anyway, some great work there - I'd love to know what you hear back - You know, if just a hundred of us wrote in, there would be such a groundswell of support that we'd see billion dollar cycling budgets within a year - but very few people take such action.

There's lots of support in the WA Department of Transport for cyclists also, and it's a shame they aren't more involved in forums.

Regards
David

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:09 pm

I had a very prompt and encouraging reply from my local ward councillors. Turns out they have been advocating for some major bike infrastructure in the area and it's in the budget for the next 3 or 4 years. That's excellent news given the high amount of road upgrades, diversions and new roads being built in my area (a lot of greenfield estates going in).

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:04 pm

Got this from the City today. I'm reasonably happy. Would rather things moved faster than they can, but that's okay. Interesting the 'opposition from neighbours' comment - I think he'll be referring to the semi-rural acreage devoted to horses. But the times are a changing (will always be significant semi-rural as Swan Valley is a tourist precinct, but lots of new development on the western side).

Thank you for your comments in regards to the City of Swan CycleConnect Strategy and in particular connections to Ellenbrook from nodes to the south. Historically this has proven to be a difficult connection to resolve due to opposition in neighbouring communities in the northern part of the Swan Valley. However recent work has progressed towards achieving a connection using Gnangara and West Swan Rd to connect existing path beginning at Henley St. This is expected to be the site of significant work in the next three years and will provide access to the Swan Valley for Ellenbrook residents

In terms of Lord St, it is my understanding that the City is working with other agencies to resolve a future design for this road. You may be aware that until 2 year ago, this road was expected to be the alignment for the Perth Darwin Highway (now known as NorthLink). This road would have had a high quality Principal Shared Use path included. The alternative design is yet to be finalised but we will continue to advocate for cycle provision in the final design for all the reasons that you have stated.

However, your best bet for a southern connection in the medium to long term will be the new Northlink connection. This project is "gathering pace" at the moment and will have a high quality Principal Shared Use path included - see attached map released recently by the Minister for Transport.

The timeframes for the Henley Brook Avenue road development are a bit sketchy as the majority of this road will built by developers when surrounding subdivisions are developed.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have further questions please give me a call on the numbers below

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:19 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:Ibut I was wondering what other suggestions people have for engaging in cycling advocacy?
BWA has recently started an advocacy advisory group and BWA's always polite approach means they will have the ears of govt. But that group is now set, at least for this year.

The carcase of the BTA is lying fallow at the moment, waiting for someone to drag it kicking and screaming back into life. It's got the right genes to be a bit more bolshiethan BWA. But it needs a complete restructuring and renaissance (it's not in suspended animation mode for nothing)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:34 am

Thoglette wrote:
AlexHuggs wrote:Ibut I was wondering what other suggestions people have for engaging in cycling advocacy?
BWA has recently started an advocacy advisory group and BWA's always polite approach means they will have the ears of govt. But that group is now set, at least for this year.

The carcase of the BTA is lying fallow at the moment, waiting for someone to drag it kicking and screaming back into life. It's got the right genes to be a bit more bolshiethan BWA. But it needs a complete restructuring and renaissance (it's not in suspended animation mode for nothing)
What led to its demise? (Presumably west cycle pulled funding for a reason?)

Is the BWA advocacy committee an effective replacement.

Is there enough support to resurrect BTA?

I'm more a short term project guy and not especially Bolshy, but you never know.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:18 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:What led to its demise? (Presumably west cycle pulled funding for a reason?)
The BTA funding model had been broken for a few years. The West Cycle* funding issue was just the inevitable hiccup at which it fell.

The key problem with West Cycle is that it's fundamentally funded by Sport and Recreation, not transport.
AlexHuggs wrote:Is the BWA advocacy committee an effective replacement.
Post re-brand (from Cyclosportif) BWA are talking the talk: now need to walk the walk and actually do something.
AlexHuggs wrote:Is there enough support to resurrect BTA?
BTA is a single issue organisation: bicyles as transport. It's got a history of getting press (thanks in no small part to Mr. Benz) and still has a number of paid up members who saw value in it's mission (including me).

It's also small giving it flexibility and the ability to take risks that larger, well funded organisations don't have.

Now, post Web 2.0, there's also the opportunity to make the 'A' stand for Australia and be the grass roots advocacy body. Particularly in the light of the reported dissatistfaction with BQ, BN/BV etc (e.g. here

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Thoglette wrote:
AlexHuggs wrote:Is there enough support to resurrect BTA?
BTA is a single issue organisation: bicyles as transport. It's got a history of getting press (thanks in no small part to Mr. Benz) and still has a number of paid up members who saw value in it's mission (including me).
It's also small giving it flexibility and the ability to take risks that larger, well funded organisations don't have.
Now, post Web 2.0, there's also the opportunity to make the 'A' stand for Australia and be the grass roots advocacy body. Particularly in the light of the reported dissatistfaction with BQ, BN/BV etc (e.g. here
I was certainly sad to see BTA had folded when I started looking for cycling organisations. I've joined BWA as much to support cycling as for any benefits, but my principal interest is utility cycling so BTA would have been a better fit. I have 0 personal interest in competitive cycling.

But you've kind of side-stepped my question. :wink: Sounds like there's some strong vision there - has there been any serious discussion or plans to resurrect BTA in some form?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:12 am

AlexHuggs wrote:But you've kind of side-stepped my question. :wink: Sounds like there's some strong vision there - has there been any serious discussion or plans to resurrect BTA in some form?
Not between the convener and the members. While there's been rumours of some "gunnas" heard over beers, there has been neither a public positioning by anyone nor any attempt at a "spill" via an extraordinary meeting.

As I said, it's lying there just waiting for someone to pick up and run with it.

While that may seem extraordinary, it needs someone with a (mostly sane) vision; the determination to effectively communicate that with (not to) the members and the willingness to put in the hours to get the ball rolling again. And the tenacity to deal with the inevitable set backs.

I personally believe that there is still a core of the membership who would get on board with and help work through any half decent plan.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:00 am

City of Swan had a community consultation this evening so I definitely took the advantage to put bike infrastructure forward. A lot of support for it actually as the outcomes our group really identified were around sustainability and accessibility. But it's a big and diverse city and we were only one of a number of fora, so we'll see.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:39 pm

I gather you are in the City of Swan so not sure if they have a local Bicycle User Group (BUG) or not, but that is another option. For example here in Fremantle we have a very active BUG which meets monthly with the Council and I believe Albany's BUG is also very active.

BUGS are very grass roots and can be very effective in the local community.

However, they always need people to actually get involved.

Andrew

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:28 am

Have considered it but not done anything about it, although hadn't thought of a city-wide BUG. May be a challenge given the geographical spread of the city (largest and most diverse in the metro area by land area) but probably more successful than something focused on the local area.
Aushiker wrote:I gather you are in the City of Swan so not sure if they have a local Bicycle User Group (BUG) or not, but that is another option. For example here in Fremantle we have a very active BUG which meets monthly with the Council and I believe Albany's BUG is also very active.

BUGS are very grass roots and can be very effective in the local community.

However, they always need people to actually get involved.

Andrew