Tradie Rush Hour?

TheShadow

Tradie Rush Hour?

Postby TheShadow » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:47 am

I have noted some issues with a number of tradies in utes and twincabs in the last week. They've all been in a big hurry, apparently. Lots of mgif factor. Had one yell at me after I turned right at a T-intersection with him, then he brake-checked me (he stopped in the middle of 60km/hr road) I cruised up next to his drivers window to get a look at him - relatively skinny 20-something with obviously not much going on upstairs re what he might be about to get into. He pulled into a construction site not 50m away.

Second one this morning going past Jindalee pool - I stayed out of the bikelane, and claimed the lane at 45+ km/hr (in 60 zone) because a sharp right hander was coming up and the majority of cars passing me in this area of late seem unable to keep their left wheels out of the bike lane. There are heaps of cars (ROADWORKERS AND TRADIES) also currently turning right accross me to go up Burrendah Rd, Jindalle, within ten metres of me when I'm doing 45km/hr. It's got so bad, I've decided I either need to do this, or ride at less than 30km/hr in the bikelane (on the ROAD) , because I'm having to brake to keep off the bumpers and left side doors of these cars that mgif, and they're doing it so close I might not be able to brake fast enough.

Anyway, this morning I've legally left the bikelane and claimed the lane, and a guy in twincab ute tries to pass me in the bikelane that goes past the Jindalee pool. :mrgreen: I'm doing 42-45, 50+ on a good day (it's preceded by small descent) I saw him coming under my arm and moved over on him. Naturally this disrupted my concentration on pedalling and I ended up slowing substantially by the time I rolled through the corner, and could then safely move over back into the bikelane. I don't know what conclusion he drew from this. :idea: >>> This piece of road at the Jindallee Pool, at 5.40AM is becoming more dangerous than MOGGILL ROAD at 7am, and it's soley because of inexcusably CRAP driving.

Then to top it off, I followed a BCC bus down Mt Cootha this morning, which I didn't totally resent doing only 40km/hr, since I figure the bus should at least plow all the cars dangerously overtaking cyclists OFF the road and out of MY path. :wink: BUT, I get to the bottom, still well behind the bus, doing barely 40km/hr, and some tradie is waiting to turn right at the T-intersection with his front wheels already turned 45 degrees and he lunges at least 20cm forward/across immediately after the bus that i'm barely safely behind. :x Obviously I'm not doing more than even 10km/hr past that. So I slow, and he has another lunge- an obvious threat - so I just about stopped in front of him, because clearly I had no way of knowing exactly WHAT was going to happen next. He seemed upset, but apparently had no time or interest in discussing the matter further.

NOTE to Tradies: I know you get up at 4.30am to get to work fast to do a hard days work, but even at that hour suburban roads are not your personal Freeway.

outnabike

Re: Tradie Rush Hour?

Postby outnabike » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:04 pm

They take it in turns mate. After the tradies get on site they are replaced with delivery vans , taxies and mums delivering kids. In my areas they are all there..... :)
The only difference is the time of day you ride.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:40 pm

I get the tradies, but also executives in Mercs and Beemers feeling important and needing to show it.

My "favourite regular" at the moment is the new local newspaper delivery lady in a new white Toyota sedan using an iPad to guide herself to the next delivery address, randomly stopping in the middle of the road to toss papers, turning into driveways, reversing back up the street, all without indicating or seemingly even looking.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:03 pm

outnabike wrote:They take it in turns mate. After the tradies get on site they are replaced with delivery vans , taxies and mums delivering kids. In my areas they are all there..... :)
The only difference is the time of day you ride.
I've had the good fortune thus far to have the (only) option of riding between 9-11am. It seems most of the city's population are already where they need to be in a hurry by then and the ones left on the road don't have such a pressing schedule.

Mind you in this summer heat it's tough going on the return leg.

I've toyed with the idea of early morning rides but with a baby and 3 yr old that rise anytime after 6am wanting breakfast it would have to be a very early morning indeed. And the reports of tradies out and about at that hour don't help. :(
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1