Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Comedian

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Escalate.

You got a police ombudsman up that way?

It's already been lodged with them!

Speaking of which... if you've reported a S144a breach, and it's gone to Indooroopilly, I'd love to hear from you - either way. Thanks. :shock:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:46 pm

Comedian wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Escalate.

You got a police ombudsman up that way?

It's already been lodged with them! I've got a feeling though the wheels turn pretty slowly - but I'm glad they are there.

Speaking of which... if you've reported a S144a breach, and it's gone to Indooroopilly, I'd love to hear from you - either way. Thanks. :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:53 pm

You have all my details

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Had a call today from our favorite station. Officer said all they could see was my calibration image. Officer said Passenger in car said I swerved closer. Video shows opposite. Driver may be in trouble after I dropped a DVD of the footage off on the way home this afternoon. Fingers crossed we get a result.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:27 pm

My fellow cyclists. :shock:

So a few weeks ago I was nearly hit by a police car. (Think .2-.4m in a 70 zone) I made a complaint and this was of course dismissed. The same police officer that can be seen in the article below saying he was cracking down on cyclists without bells said I was wasting his time even discussing it with him. The officer is also from the same station who runs speed traps on Mt Cootha.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-25/police-crackdown-on-bicycles-without-bells-in-queensland/7198784

Anyway I've raised it as a police misconduct complaint with the CCC. Read about it the CCC here.

http://www.ccc.qld.gov.au/

I'm trying to make a claim that's its systemic. The CCC can investigate this. I just got off the phone to them and I'm picking up a vibe that each complaint must be submitted individually and can't be considered as one complaint.

I am NOT asking you all to do this at this point. I just want a show of hands for who is willing to submit their complaints individually? When I talk to them next week I'm hoping to have some idea about whether it's just me or lots of people. I think if they start getting barraged with them they will either just say it's not their thing or they will act.

Anyway - let me know so I can tell him how many complaints he's likely to get...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Comedian. - we'll talk via email

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:10 pm

jasonc wrote:Comedian. - we'll talk via email

I know you're on board mate. Awesome. :)

Who else might be keen?

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:32 pm

Pick me...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Thank god for bells!

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:53 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Thank god for bells!

At least he eventually heard you and never abused you for daring to ring that damn bell at him :wink:

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:05 am

Presume bell was audible on video.
I'm getting pretty deaf these days and all I could hear was wind and bike noise.
The bell is obviously outside my hearing frequency range so I'd have never heard you.
That's what is wrong with bike bells for us oldies. Frequency to high.

John

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:22 pm

Just joined Brisbane Railway Locomotive Market on facebook. Currently searching for a new bell :P

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Comedian wrote:I'm trying to make a claim that's its systemic. The CCC can investigate this. I just got off the phone to them and I'm picking up a vibe that each complaint must be submitted individually and can't be considered as one complaint.

I am NOT asking you all to do this at this point. I just want a show of hands for who is willing to submit their complaints individually? When I talk to them next week I'm hoping to have some idea about whether it's just me or lots of people. I think if they start getting barraged with them they will either just say it's not their thing or they will act.

Anyway - let me know so I can tell him how many complaints he's likely to get...

I'd tend to agree that the issue is systemic. I had one which I asked Bicycle Qld to provide advocacy which they agreed and also did nothing (close shave approx 20cm). Although I haven't reported anything for a while (basically given up), I'm willing to start again and if the CCC will peruse then more than happy to escalate to them if required.

Long story short, count me in.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:00 pm

So I'm in shock. I phoned up about this one.

https://vimeo.com/178582140

It went to Ferny Grove police station. The visited the driver and gave them a ticket. :shock: Bravo QPS. It shows, it can be done and I bet that driver will be far more cautious around VRU's.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:02 pm

Well done.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:11 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Well done.

Thanks but not at all well done to me. I just got lucky that it got assigned to a diligent officer who was prepared to do their job. :shock:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:09 pm

Ok, so the update from the CCC. They will give me a determination on my matter next week apparently. I'm not optimistic.

But she did tell me there was no point one person sending in multiple complaints as they will all have to be looked at individually.

So, I'd love if you have a close pass that was not acted on by the QLD Police, despite there being a clear offence and good evidence, then I'd encourage you to submit a complaint to the CCC. Particularly if it was dealt with by the Indooroopilly police as they seem notably poor at enforcement. I know that there are many other stations that are bad, so send them too.

It's not onerous. A short phone call and then an email with any information and correspondence and you are away.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Comedian wrote:if you have a close pass that was not acted on by the QLD Police, despite there being a clear offence and good evidence, then I'd encourage you to submit a complaint to the CCC.

Bump. (Mods can slap me down if needed but I think it's warranted)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:11 am

Thoglette wrote:
Comedian wrote:if you have a close pass that was not acted on by the QLD Police, despite there being a clear offence and good evidence, then I'd encourage you to submit a complaint to the CCC.

Bump. (Mods can slap me down if needed but I think it's warranted)

It's warranted. I'll be doing one in a couple of weeks when I get home from holidays. Lodged a report with photos of a close shave resulting with me riding off into the gravel two days before I had morning tea with Commisioner Ian Stewart. I thought it inappropriate to mention it given the purpose of the event, but now nearly 4 weeks later with absolutely no contact from QPS I'm kicking myself.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Too petty? Far out, what a wally. It's the petty ones that are the worst of the lot, and by far the most damaging to trust.

Think of it like this: if they're prepared to sell their integrity so cheaply, what will they be prepared to do when more is at stake?

Once you sell your integrity you can never buy it back.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:43 am

trailgumby wrote:Too petty? Far out, what a wally. It's the petty ones that are the worst of the lot, and by far the most damaging to trust.

Think of it like this: if they're prepared to sell their integrity so cheaply, what will they be prepared to do when more is at stake?

Once you sell your integrity you can never buy it back.

Also, there was one very subtle reference in the letter to how I like to "train" by riding on Mt Nebo. I've never mentioned that to anyone in correspondence, or on the phone. That's been added in by someone somewhere (probably the cops I guess) who think that we are asking for it if we go there.

The irony of all this is that road essentially goes nowhere. It's a small village in the hills which has a population of 433 according to the census. So, even if half of them left each day that's only about 400 trips a day on the road. But - it's a windy mountain road that comes alive with motorbikes and hot cars particularly on the weekends where it's just a constant stream of them, plus emergency services vehicles to "retrieve" them when they go off. The last time I drove the mountain there were three vehicles being retrieved just while I was there. Anyway the cop who nearly hit me was policing fellow road users who use the road as a private race track. And then he piles the judgement on me for daring to go there.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:29 am

If you want to know the amount of tow trucks, ambos and cop cars that go past....... :P

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:52 pm

must be heaps. :o
Lukeyboy wrote:If you want to know the amount of tow trucks, ambos and cop cars that go past....... :P

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Saw a towie go up the other day...... but it came back with an energex truck on the back. I guess you could say it was out of power :lol: :lol:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Update.. pass was 20-30cm in a 70 zone. Ethical standards will not look at it saying it's a waste of resources. CCC say it's too small for them to be bothered with. Prods from ministers are no help, "ethical standards" refuse to review it.

The QLD gov ombudsman can't review police matters. The police don't have an ombudsman, only the CCC. The CCC say this is a police matter.

Around and around we go. Looks like media shaming is the only option if you are nearly hit by a police car.

Return to “Cycling Safety and Advocacy”