Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Always thought that police ethical standards being investigated in house was unethical by nature.

Bit like the bit where the mob that works out pay and conditions for politicians and senior public servants being composed of politicians and senior public servants...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:21 am

Comedian wrote:police matters.

There are five reasons you will see a police vehicle on the road.

There is no mcdonalds up there so that scratches the first.

Driving out of town so not driving to the station to work. scratch two.

Constable doing radar duty? They would have just hung him out. Scratch three.

Ranking officers going for a coffee? No action taken, merry-go-round... Could be.

Internal affairs officers on their way to their daily interview at Beenleigh. Action taken? Not likely!

The repertoire of jokes the police have about you is probably as long as the road to Mt Nebo.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Deleted
Last edited by jasonc on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:17 pm

jasonc wrote:looks like next time we have a close pass we'll just fall off (up a steep climb there'd be little damage, but i'm sure someone could provide you a buckled wheel, broken bike bit or something to take into the police to show that damage occurred that they had to pay for)

It would appear that as far as the police are concerned - if they didn't hit you they have given you more than 1.5m. End Of Discussion. :roll:

Patt0 wrote:
Comedian wrote:police matters.

There are five reasons you will see a police vehicle on the road.

There is no mcdonalds up there so that scratches the first.
Driving out of town so not driving to the station to work. scratch two.
Constable doing radar duty? They would have just hung him out. Scratch three.
Ranking officers going for a coffee? No action taken, merry-go-round... Could be.
Internal affairs officers on their way to their daily interview at Beenleigh. Action taken? Not likely!

The repertoire of jokes the police have about you is probably as long as the road to Mt Nebo.

It was a RPC car to make matters worse. No doubt they have a list of jokes about me. Let's see how they go when they are in the press.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:11 pm

The police know they are little more than modern day tax collectors, ostracised from normal society. Protected by bullet proof vests from the rest. The little good they do can only go so far in the media. They will see this as a political point score.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:41 am

but they are making our lives safer by sitting behind a pole with a radar at the bottom of a steep hill....

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:02 pm

jasonc wrote:but they are making our lives safer by sitting behind a pole with a radar at the bottom of a steep hill....

Directly in contravention of their guidelines.

This is the chap who "investigated" my complaint from the indoorpilly station. He said "we can't be expected to wait until it is safe to pass bike riders as it would take forever to get anywhere". He doesn't like bikes. Don't be like Sergeant Stevens, he's a dick.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-25/police-crackdown-on-bicycles-without-bells-in-queensland/7198784

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:04 pm

trainspotter

Postby trainspotter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Comedian wrote:This is the chap who "investigated" my complaint from the indoorpilly station. He said "we can't be expected to wait until it is safe to pass bike riders as it would take forever to get anywhere". He doesn't like bikes. Don't be like Sergeant Stevens, he's a dick.

I laid a complaint with the mayors office about overzealous enforcement of bikes using Sir William Griffiths Drive (the bit that was closed off for the Legacy Way carpark) which was forwarded to Indooroopilly pig pen. Their, well Sgt Stevens', response was that bikers riding on Coot-Tha are aware of the dangers of the descent & sudden stop on Scenic Drive, so why should they be allowed to use the other safer route.
Don't be like Sgt Stevens, he's a dick.
Qld traffic enforcement division is hated even by their normal police colleagues

I nearly omitted to mention, he claims to be a "cyclist" too. When I asked him what club he rode with he became strangely silent

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:45 pm

trainspotter wrote:
Comedian wrote:This is the chap who "investigated" my complaint from the indoorpilly station. He said "we can't be expected to wait until it is safe to pass bike riders as it would take forever to get anywhere". He doesn't like bikes. Don't be like Sergeant Stevens, he's a dick.

I laid a complaint with the mayors office about overzealous enforcement of bikes using Sir William Griffiths Drive (the bit that was closed off for the Legacy Way carpark) which was forwarded to Indooroopilly pig pen. Their, well Sgt Stevens', response was that bikers riding on Coot-Tha are aware of the dangers of the descent & sudden stop on Scenic Drive, so why should they be allowed to use the other safer route.
Don't be like Sgt Stevens, he's a dick.
Qld traffic enforcement division is hated even by their normal police colleagues

I nearly omitted to mention, he claims to be a "cyclist" too. When I asked him what club he rode with he became strangely silent

It's interesting to hear that I'm not alone in thinking that way about Sgt Stevens.

He also used the "I'm a cyclist" line on me - but in my experience the all do. Clearly some are - but the only way to judge from the other end of the phone is by their (in)actions.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Comedian wrote:He also used the "I'm a cyclist" line on me - but in my experience the all do. Clearly some are - but the only way to judge from the other end of the phone is by their (in)actions.

A claim as common as spider webs on a dawn MTB ride :roll:
Once around the park with the kiddies every third access visit does not a cyclist make...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:22 pm

So I got a ticket while riding my bike ... by the indooroopilly station mob.

It was on a quiet backstreet that has lots of speed humps, and there is a no right turn sign between 4 and 6pm (which I disobeyed, sure). The sign is there to stop rat runners going that way in the afternoon, its not for safety. Its here: https://goo.gl/maps/khRyjVDJjnS2

So if I dismount and walk across then remount then I wasn't a driver at the time I turned right, yeah? Or if I drive far enough past I can then do a uturn (as long as I'm not at the intersection any more according to the rules) and then turn left... Or turn right onto the footpath just before the road and then cross.

I'm wondering if I should take it to court and what my chances would be? And if I fail is the usual result getting hit with much higher costs than the original fine...

I'm also wondering if I can say that Sgt Stevens from their station has told cyclists that its ok not to follow the rules if it is to avoid being held up? It must work both ways right?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:31 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
I'm also wondering if I can say that Sgt Stevens from their station has told cyclists that its ok not to follow the rules if it is to avoid being held up? It must work both ways right?

Yes, if you abided by the rules it would take forever to get anywhere. Good luck with that. :roll:

And I'm very sad to year you've been pinged. The officers from that station really do have some kind of an issue with fellow citizens riding bikes.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Comedian wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:

Yes, if you abided by the rules it would take forever to get anywhere. Good luck with that. :roll:

And I'm very sad to year you've been pinged. The officers from that station really do have some kind of an issue with fellow citizens riding bikes.

To be fair they were targeting anyone there not just riders.

Lol re the rules, I'm trying to point out the problem with what Sergeant Stevens said. If that's the police's reason for breaking the rules, why can't I use the same reason :)

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:46 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Lol re the rules, I'm trying to point out the problem with what Sergeant Stevens said. If that's the police's reason for breaking the rules, why can't I use the same reason :)

Your forgetting the bit that the police are exempt from the traffic act...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:49 am

PiratePete wrote:Your forgetting the bit that the police are exempt from the traffic act...

The exemption is not unlimited though:

Code: Select all

305 Exemption for drivers of police vehicles
(1) A provision of this regulation does not apply to the driver of a police vehicle if—
   (a) in the circumstances—
      (i) the driver is taking reasonable care; and
      (ii) it is reasonable that the provision should not apply; and
   (b) if the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving—the vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or sounding an alarm.

(2) Subsection (1)(b) does not apply to the driver if, in the circumstances, it is reasonable—
   (a) not to display the light or sound the alarm; or
   (b) for the vehicle not to be fitted or equipped with a blue or red flashing light or an alarm.

They still have a duty to take reasonable care and they need to establish that, in the circumstances, it was reasonable for them to need to break the law despite not being on an emergency callout (i.e. no lights or alarm active).

From what has been said in this thread the police aren't trying to actively assert this exemption, they are just blowing off the incident entirely.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:39 pm

Scott_C wrote:From what has been said in this thread the police aren't trying to actively assert this exemption, they are just blowing off the incident entirely.

Pretty much.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:08 am

Comedian wrote:... Let's see how they go when they are in the press.

Now would be a good time for that to happen...

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=93495

Just over the hill from Indro Cop Shop.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:05 am

Let's see if there's going to be charges (and I wonder what they will be) against the driver on Moggil Road on Friday morning. :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Had a visit from the police last night in regards to a close pass from a few weeks ago. I don't think the driver is going to get fined (I've done all the hard work, even measuring the road- pass was about 30cm). But they are going to get a visit. It's a car from the local area so I hope to see a lot more distance in their passes. Yes, if like them fined. But at least unlike our favorite station, It's being actioned

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Article in Brisbane Times has the coroner criticising Queensland Police for not proceeding with prosecution of drivers who killed cyclists due to driver inattention.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... vdo4f.html

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Scott_C wrote:Article in Brisbane Times has the coroner criticising Queensland Police for not proceeding with prosecution of drivers who killed cyclists due to driver inattention.

As the coroner has correctly observed, hitting and killing a cyclist is a crime without penalty. At worst - it's an inconvenience to the motorist.

If the police can be bothered charging them after they have killed a cyclist, why should they bother learning the rules, let alone complying with them.

My experience with the QLD police is that they have a complete disregard for cyclist safety, and this goes right to the top of the organisation. At this juncture - I can't see any way in which this is likely to change in the foreseeable future.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Scott_C wrote:Article in Brisbane Times has the coroner criticising Queensland Police for not proceeding with prosecution of drivers who killed cyclists due to driver inattention.

"Why each charge did not proceed was of concern to me, as in my view there was a clear basis for each charge to continue through the court... I consider the decision not to proceed was flawed," he said.

Have the police involved been reprimanded or punished in any way?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:35 pm

biker jk wrote:

"Why each charge did not proceed was of concern to me, as in my view there was a clear basis for each charge to continue through the court... I consider the decision not to proceed was flawed," he said.

Have the police involved been reprimanded or punished in any way?

No sorry.. you can't question the police. I asked the minister to investigate a matter.. and he asked the assistant commissioner to investigate, and he just said "talk to the hand". The QLD police answer only to themselves.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Just to bring some kind of 'positive' news to this thread. End of last year, I had a car suddenly pull infront of me and perform u-turn right infront of me, which resulted in a head first collision with the ground. I didn't hit the car and even yelling at the car as I went down, he didn't stop as he 'didn't know'.

Anyway, I had plenty of witnesses stop and lend assistance. The Police turned up, took statements and within a few days had charged the guy with doing an illegal u-tun and booked him for points etc.

Return to “Cycling Safety and Advocacy”