Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Comedian

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Comedian » Wed May 25, 2016 6:30 am

BianchiCam wrote:Starting to despair.
If Vic does take up the minimum passing law and acts like we have seen the QPS then we really are truly rooted.

Cam

Mate.. you're not screwed. When looked at in isolation - the 1.5m rule when combined with an education campaign is probably a good thing. My experience has been that the good people of the world become even more careful, and these are in the majority. They were usually pretty careful before but I'll take it. However the psychopaths just don't care, and it may even enrage them. So I think in my experience the good get better and the worse get worse if that makes sense. If the police were on our side then I think in a short while these people would have it made clear that we carry cameras and it's going to be an expensive sport for them. Instead we've got a couple of years now of top cops saying "the law isn't enforceable" and only a handful of charges. That's what you really don't want.

Then on the other side of the equation, I know in QLD and NSW the split rule was bundled in with massive penalty increases which has lead to persecution of bike riders by police. Just on the weekend I pulled up next to a bunch where the whole 15 of them had been booked ($345) for rolling through a stop sign in a quiet street. Police regularly set up to book bike riders for speeding on popular routes. When viewed with this I'm not so sure whether we are actually any better off.

You need to say thanks for the split rule but don't touch the bike penalties.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 25, 2016 8:21 am

jasonc wrote:Date of incident: 4/05/2016
Type of incident: close pass, <1m
Footage of incident recorded:
QPS Report No: QP1600774736
Police Response: Police spoke to owner and confirmed he was the driver. Driver didn't know he couldn't cross centre line blah blah blah. Driver was not issued a warning. It was suggested I could ride elsewhere. Oh, and the police officer said he was a cyclist. :roll:
Driver ticketed/warned? Ah no.

updated
I requested an update yesterday and got a phone call on this incident last night.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed May 25, 2016 8:41 am

jasonc wrote:
Police Response: Police spoke to owner and confirmed he was the driver. Driver didn't know he couldn't cross centre line blah blah blah. Driver was not issued a warning. It was suggested I could ride elsewhere. Oh, and the police officer said he was a cyclist. :roll:

updated
I requested an update yesterday and got a phone call on this incident last night.

That looks like Mt Nebo? - which police station handled it?
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 25, 2016 9:00 am

PiratePete wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Police Station Responding: Indooroopilly

updated

That looks like Mt Nebo? - which police station handled it?

Indooroopilly station. it was on coot-tha

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed May 25, 2016 8:23 pm

jasonc wrote:Indooroopilly station. it was on coot-tha

Indro cop shop is on my bad list.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 25, 2016 8:34 pm

PiratePete wrote:
jasonc wrote:Indooroopilly station. it was on coot-tha

Indro cop shop is on my bad list.

i'm about to submit another video. same cop shop. joy.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu May 26, 2016 8:47 am

Good luck.

I will give them one thing, at least they sent me a letter informing me that my complaint and explanatory video didn't justify any action on their part...
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:54 am

Great news everybody! Success!

Date of incident: 18/4/16
Type of incident: Lazy driving, possibly punishment
Footage of incident recorded: Yes, Rego identified, driver not so much
Reporting method: Hoon line online report
QPS Report No: Withheld
Police Response: Supportive and positive – wanted to get the culprit
Police Station Responding: Will advise via PM if interested
Driver ticketed/warned?  Ticketed

Back in April I had a close pass, reported via hoon line with some stills from the video. I was pretty astonished when on the next day a couple of police officers from the local station showed up, viewed and measured the camera set up on the bike, then viewed the video footage. They both ‘sucked back’ at the front camera view when the offending vehicle appeared in view in close proximity. They said that the road line marking was a great reference point, and they intended to go out and grab some measurements at the offending roundabout. Asked for the video files and a statement which was provided and dropped at the station next day. The officers insisted that they would pursue the matter. At this station most of the officers cycle, and the boss there rides with other local cyclists I know of. On the following day I had to head overseas and having heard it all before, thought nothing else of it.

Original report in Moron Motorist Thread

Last weekend was having a mid ride coffee and another couple of cyclists rolled in. One mentioned that the previous week he was riding with the boss of my local station, who mentioned that they have successfully charged a motorists for close pass based on video footage that was eventually worked out to be mine. To confirm, I requested an update via the Online crime tracker form.

Crimetracker wrote: The current status of your report is: Finalised. “Finalised” reports mean that all or some offender/s have been dealt with by Police.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:29 am

oxonabike wrote:Great news everybody! Success!

Nice result oxonabike

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 am

oxonabike wrote:Great news everybody! Success!

Very nice, I had the same experience with driver fined $517 and 5 points.
Good to see the law being enforced at some level.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:17 am

DTdotcom wrote:Very nice, I had the same experience with driver fined $517 and 5 points.
Good to see the law being enforced at some level.

Just saw your Vid in the MM Thread. Wow! As I said, mine was pretty mild, especially in comparison with yours.

For the Stats, probably worth posting your incident here per the template?

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Can we please get some of the QPS folks from FNQ shipped to BNE please? Sounds like they are far more receptive to cyclists than our QPS folk down here...
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:08 pm

Date of incident: 06/05/16
Type of incident: Unsafe pass
Footage of incident recorded: Yes, Rego identified
Reporting method: Police contacted me after seeing video
QPS Report No: Withheld
Police Response: Did a house call next day for a copy of the video file
Driver ticketed/warned? 5 demerit points & $517 fine

http://www.facebook.com/Dimma1708/videos/10154287683421004/

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Although more than close enough to warrant a ticket - I think I am OK with the driver in this incident. I have been let off a few infringements in my time driving...This incident bugged me though as he only had to wait another 100m or so before turning left (he lives down that road)

Date of incident: 10/06/16
Type of incident: Punishment Pass - well within 1m
Footage of incident recorded: Yes, clear rego - 1st Fly12catch
Reporting method: Hoon line online report
QPS Report No: QP1600672789
Police Response: Supportive and positive – knew the measurements of the lane at the 'scene' so obviously did some prep wk before going to see driver. Reportedly went to perps house with intent to book but driver rolled and was able to describe incident and what he did wrong. Officer commented on clarity of footage and mentioned dismay that many similar reports cannot be actioned due to poor evidence. Encouraged future reporting of incidents and even told me I should have been riding wider!
Police Station Responding: Mount Coolum
Driver ticketed/warned? Warned (driver has since passed me twice and has given more than appropriate space

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:32 am

Date of incident: 25/05/2016
QPS Report No: QP1600938182
Responding station: Indooroopilly
Police Response: Owned by Business. Business COULD NOT identify driver (office stated if police said the business WOULD NOT identify driver they would have been ticketed for obstructing police business or something)
Driver ticketed/warned? No

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Jasonc,
I can tell you that the police simply use this as a way to drop the matter.
It happened with me in Vic and is in writing with the local road patrol dept. I then went to the police forces own site and copied and printed their own “Disclosure of driver ID forms,” that indicate a huge fine for not declaring the driver and accused the police of not correctly doing the investigation. I avoided the term Dereliction of duty, but indicated that it was almost that.
If the driver cannot be identified in a company the company has to pay…. Unless it is with in the police force, or at least that was my info.
They then changed their tack and declared that as the motorist had done nothing wrong whoever it was, they would go no further on the matter.
So they deceived me all the way to the crunch point and then dropped that into the file and closed it……simple.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:28 pm

yup. problem for them is i'm going to keep submitting these cases. one day i'm going to flip it and do an FOI and request a reason from the police minister.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:14 pm

It was investigated by Indooroopilly cop shop... :roll:
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:08 am

jasonc wrote:yup. problem for them is i'm going to keep submitting these cases. one day i'm going to flip it and do an FOI and request a reason from the police minister.

Do it. Its free as it relates to you.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:54 am

I had an absolute cracker of a close pass this morning. Samford road inbound. 70k zone. Me (a fair way in from the left as there is no shoulder), and a yaris and supposedly a 1.5m gap all in the one 3m lane doing 65kph. I got such a shock I swore and wobbled - I think I wasn't expecting it because it was completely needless (no oncoming cars). Both front and rear cameras have a clear recording.

All the other motorists had no problems. This guy or girl really needs some education. What's my odds?

Has anyone ticked the "this is on social media" box? I've never done that as I'm afraid it will prejudice the proceedings but since nothing ever happens I'm not sure if we've got anything to loose. I think this one will go to Ferny Grove.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:44 pm

Comedian wrote: I think this one will go to Ferny Grove.

Yes it will, Good luck.

I had one which they seemed to take interest in, but then it just disappeared from the radar. I was struck on the back of my helmet by a tree branch sticking out of a ute piled up with green waste out at Highvale. The pass was under a metre (to the ute body - not the load), and the cameras showed the approach, me making a Say What type of noise and leaves falling to the roadway. Video also had the audio of me talking to the driver when I caught up to him at the dump at the Yugar end of Gibbons rd where the driver informed me that it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't riding on the road.

I would have thought that it was a black and white case as I was struck, and not to mention the drivers comments showing absolutely no regard for the law or my safety. But alas no.

Regarding the social media tick box, I suspect that they will just bin the complaint if it's ticked as they will claim that the case has been potentially compromised by the publishing of information.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:46 am

PiratePete wrote:
Comedian wrote: I think this one will go to Ferny Grove.

Yes it will, Good luck.

I had one which they seemed to take interest in, but then it just disappeared from the radar. I was struck on the back of my helmet by a tree branch sticking out of a ute piled up with green waste out at Highvale. The pass was under a metre (to the ute body - not the load), and the cameras showed the approach, me making a Say What type of noise and leaves falling to the roadway. Video also had the audio of me talking to the driver when I caught up to him at the dump at the Yugar end of Gibbons rd where the driver informed me that it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't riding on the road.

I would have thought that it was a black and white case as I was struck, and not to mention the drivers comments showing absolutely no regard for the law or my safety. But alas no.

Regarding the social media tick box, I suspect that they will just bin the complaint if it's ticked as they will claim that the case has been potentially compromised by the publishing of information.

OK I won't tell them about here. It was a cracker and needless..

Last edited by Mulger bill on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed embed

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Comedian wrote:OK I won't tell them about here. It was a cracker and needless..

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/178582140[/vimeo]

That looks busier than it did many years ago when I last rode through there. Is that a bit of problem section now to ride on? That is morning peak hour on a weekday...

Did you see if the driver looked elderly or on their phone, or some kind of other excuse? Otherwise it seemed deliberate...

Although I must say I have also noticed it is the smallest cars that will most frequently close shave me going inbound, up the hill on Moggill Rd just before you hit the strip of shops at Kenmore. I suspect they are accustomed to driving these very small, 'sub-compact' cars and start thinking they can squeeze through any small space. It's possible they genuinely think this okay to do in their little cars.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:20 pm

I know personally senior officers at Indooroopilly and Stafford Stations.
And the entrenched culture is road cyclists place themselves in harm's way, and make unreasonable work for police. There absolutely is a culture within QP against cyclists, and it is supported all the way to the upper floors of 200 Roma Street.

Until police can afford $5000 road bikes, and European holidays to see how the other half lives, it's something that you will have to expect is going to persist. At the end of the day, it's a class issue.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:36 am

CKinnard wrote:I know personally senior officers at Indooroopilly and Stafford Stations.
And the entrenched culture is road cyclists place themselves in harm's way, and make unreasonable work for police. There absolutely is a culture within QP against cyclists, and it is supported all the way to the upper floors of 200 Roma Street.

Until police can afford $5000 road bikes, and European holidays to see how the other half lives, it's something that you will have to expect is going to persist. At the end of the day, it's a class issue.

It doesn't surprise me at all but it does sadden me to read this. I know it's not your position, but this is the rape argument. Ie "she was asking for it".

I don't agree it's a question of cost though. I think what you are saying though is that cycling in Australia is a sport and I agree with that. I would argue that if police rode to the station on their $50 beater that they would be far more likely to enforce the law. It's a pet hate of mine that drivers suggest that "he was asking for it because he was using the roads as his training ground". That may well be true.. but I don't get to judge what they use the roads for so I'm unclear why they get to judge me and threaten my life. I'm pretty sure the person driving that Toyota built a house out at Samford because they like the views..atmosphere or whatever and now expect the community to provide fast and convenient roads so they can attend their far off place of employment. I **really** don't agree with that but I don't get a say.

Either way it's an interesting point - it's up to the community to decide whether this type of stuff is ok... oh hang on.. it's not ... it's up to the police to decide. "With honour we serve" my arse.

Return to “Cycling Safety and Advocacy”