Qld Police Report Thread 2016

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3387
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:23 am

It's not just the police but local councils that help contribute and enforces the same mentality by having poorly designed cycling and road infrastructure. Just ask the Brisbane North BUG about some of the excuses they have been given for lack of safety improvements on Dickson Street. None more so than the BCC. Shaw road is an example of when infrastructure actually fails. Lets put in bike lanes but have cars park in them the entire length. Cyclists claim the lane to avoid being doored/punishment passes from motorists because some are dicks/knowing the lack of action from the QPS over incidents. Motorists get pissed off because they aren't in the bike lane and that there's someone on a bike going 25-30kph in a 60kph zone on a road which should be 40kph-50kph but drivers prefer to do 70kph because they are rat running around Gympie/Sandgate Roads. The council refuses to do anything about the parking. They refuse to do anything about lowering the speed limit. Finally they are looking at putting a crossing in at Shaw Park but the question of what kind of crossing is yet to be seen. Heaven forbid should it be traffic lights like the ones at Mitchelton on the KBB where its faster to activate the traffic lights by riding on the sports ground road than it is to press the ped buzzer.

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5247
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Comedian » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Ok, so I submitted the earlier one via the cyclist complaint line. Will be interesting to see how they wiggle out of that one.

And, I forwarded an earlier one that wasn't getting anywhere to the police and transport ministers. It's really hard to imagine a more blatant or malicious example than this. The driver had to straddle two lanes to nearly hit us .. all while revving his engine. That the driver committed an offence, or that he/she was driving an unregistered vehicle at the time seems not to be in contention. It would appear they just can't be f@#$ed because I gather he/she has been playing a little hard to get.

https://vimeo.com/130419491

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby PiratePete » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:44 pm

CKinnard wrote:Until police can afford $5000 road bikes, and European holidays to see how the other half lives, it's something that you will have to expect is going to persist. At the end of the day, it's a class issue.


I don't think it's a class thing, I have to say that until a few weeks ago my sister was a QPS officer and she enjoyed regular holidays to the other side of the globe. She was single with a 6 figure salary, me feeding a family of 4 on a 5 figure salary - I'm a truck driver and ride a $5k + accessories bicycle, and putting two kids through private school.

There is a distinct issue where the police won't enforce the law, and the explanation that I've heard over and over again it's due to a lack of credible evidence. But for some reason when you supply the evidence which can be backed up by surveying the road to rule out any doubt that they still avoid it due to the potential legal battle in a court room. Silly IMHO as once an offending driver is shown the video footage, chances are they wouldn't pursue the matter, just like the last one I successfully reported.

Comedian wrote:Ok, so I submitted the earlier one via the cyclist complaint line. Will be interesting to see how they wiggle out of that one.


I'm starting to get a little paranoid when a motorist pulls up and happily queues behind till it's safe to pass (like the X-Trail driver). I'm seeing it more and more that when the over cautious driver does this that once passed, the person behind them seems to regularly take out their frustration of being held up on the cyclist. After all, if the cyclist wasn't there then the over cautious driver wouldn't need to be cautious... I'm seeing this more and more, and I'm not sure if it's a new thing or whether it's just something my eyes weren't open to before. Just like I've noticed that your more likely to receive a close pass if there is a white line to separate the shoulder from the lane and your on or near it, or worse still, occupying the lane. Versus where there is no white line, where I've observed the vehicles are more likely to give you reasonable space even on 100kmh roads - shared territory perhaps?
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

User avatar
BianchiCam
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:42 pm
Location: Mt Martha, Vic

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:51 pm

No, your not wrong. I've had the same happen often. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd vehicle will shave you cos you've pissed them off.
More vids here. Updated daily! https://www.facebook.com/b.e.m.motorists/#

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5247
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Comedian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:15 am

PiratePete wrote:I'm starting to get a little paranoid when a motorist pulls up and happily queues behind till it's safe to pass (like the X-Trail driver). I'm seeing it more and more that when the over cautious driver does this that once passed, the person behind them seems to regularly take out their frustration of being held up on the cyclist. After all, if the cyclist wasn't there then the over cautious driver wouldn't need to be cautious... I'm seeing this more and more, and I'm not sure if it's a new thing or whether it's just something my eyes weren't open to before. Just like I've noticed that your more likely to receive a close pass if there is a white line to separate the shoulder from the lane and your on or near it, or worse still, occupying the lane. Versus where there is no white line, where I've observed the vehicles are more likely to give you reasonable space even on 100kmh roads - shared territory perhaps?


I've noted this too. I think you could be onto something.

User avatar
InTheWoods
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:45 am

Comedian wrote:
PiratePete wrote:I'm starting to get a little paranoid when a motorist pulls up and happily queues behind till it's safe to pass (like the X-Trail driver). I'm seeing it more and more that when the over cautious driver does this that once passed, the person behind them seems to regularly take out their frustration of being held up on the cyclist. After all, if the cyclist wasn't there then the over cautious driver wouldn't need to be cautious... I'm seeing this more and more, and I'm not sure if it's a new thing or whether it's just something my eyes weren't open to before. Just like I've noticed that your more likely to receive a close pass if there is a white line to separate the shoulder from the lane and your on or near it, or worse still, occupying the lane. Versus where there is no white line, where I've observed the vehicles are more likely to give you reasonable space even on 100kmh roads - shared territory perhaps?


I've noted this too. I think you could be onto something.


Yep, these are both things. Especially the second one.

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby PiratePete » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Yep, I'm now in the habit of waving the overly cautious driver passed if safe as they have slowed and I'm fully aware.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

TheWall
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby TheWall » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 pm

PiratePete wrote:Yep, I'm now in the habit of waving the overly cautious driver passed if safe as they have slowed and I'm fully aware.


Agree here (and the benefit by waving is also that you are just possibly seen as human by the cars behind)

User avatar
InTheWoods
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:33 pm

TheWall wrote:
PiratePete wrote:Yep, I'm now in the habit of waving the overly cautious driver passed if safe as they have slowed and I'm fully aware.


Agree here (and the benefit by waving is also that you are just possibly seen as human by the cars behind)



I do the same, when there is a slot where I can move over some drivers need encouragement to go past. It makes it hard to plan if you have enough road before the next parked car but I'd rather people were too cautious than the opposite so it's always worth being nice back.

jasonc
Posts: 9366
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:07 am

had one that I had to wave past this morning. they were that quiet I didn't even know they were there (no, I don't wear headphones)
Image

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby PiratePete » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:43 pm

jasonc wrote:had one that I had to wave past this morning. they were that quiet I didn't even know they were there (no, I don't wear headphones)


I'll buy you a mirror for Christmas :wink:
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jasonc
Posts: 9366
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:56 pm

PiratePete wrote:
jasonc wrote:had one that I had to wave past this morning. they were that quiet I didn't even know they were there (no, I don't wear headphones)


I'll buy you a mirror for Christmas :wink:

I waved them through. And gave them thankyou wave. I'll pass on the mirror,, thanks
Image

User avatar
outnabike
Posts: 2060
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby outnabike » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:30 am

4738 offenders in a three day long weekend.
So it is likely the idiot yelling at you to “Get off his road”, most likely should not be there him/her self.

https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/o ... um=twitter
Operation Scoreboard - A win for Towards Zero Monday, 03 October 2016 13:48
For Victoria Police Road Policing Command it is a long weekend with no deaths on the roads.
Police were out in force across the state throughout the long weekend as part of Operation Scoreboard.
Road Policing Assistant Commissioner Doug Fryer said he was very pleased no lives were lost.
“This is the first long weekend operation in five years that no lives have been lost,” he said.
“It is a fantastic result and I thank everyone who played their part by staying safe on the roads.
“Unfortunately we did still detect a significant amount of people taking serious risks with not only their own lives but also the lives of others.
“Our officers caught 250 drink drivers and 202 people driving with illicit drugs in their system.
“Every one of these incidents could have ended in tragedy and I’m grateful we were able to play our role and detect them before they could hurt anyone.
Police conducted more than 127,000 breath tests and more than 1900 drug test during the operation with detection rates 1:509 and 1:9 respectively.
General offenses detected during the operation include;
Add in, 452 on drugs and drink
• 201 disqualified/suspended drivers
• 315 unlicensed drivers
• 865 unregistered vehicles
• 2276 speeding offenses
• 243 mobile phone offenses
• 386 disobey signs/signals
• 66 vehicle impounds
• 195 seat belt offenses
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28899
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Does that Druncan Gay bloke in NSW have an honest FB account? Love to post this on his wall...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rapunzel
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby rapunzel » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Is it just me, or is a 1:9 drug test return not something there should be more of a focus on...if not with respect to driving, at least in relation to what this says about our society?

ironhanglider
Posts: 2199
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Middle East, Melbourne

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:49 pm

rapunzel wrote:Is it just me, or is a 1:9 drug test return not something there should be more of a focus on...if not with respect to driving, at least in relation to what this says about our society?


No that says more about the targeting of who they use the drug test kits on. The tests are expensive, so they only use them when they think that there is a good chance of a result. Possibly they also do drug testing after an 'incident'.

Alcohol on the other hand for the majority they just pull over a proportion of the total traffic on a stretch of road. However if there is an incident they will administer a test as SOP.

Cheers,

Cameron
Image

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2345
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby CKinnard » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:26 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
rapunzel wrote:Is it just me, or is a 1:9 drug test return not something there should be more of a focus on...if not with respect to driving, at least in relation to what this says about our society?


No that says more about the targeting of who they use the drug test kits on. The tests are expensive, so they only use them when they think that there is a good chance of a result. Possibly they also do drug testing after an 'incident'.


It's a profiling thing, which many argue is unPC. i.e. if you are burdened by a myoclonic jerk (some tics or twitches), strabismus (cross eyes), exopthalmos (goggle eyes), ADHD, mania, depression, the police are more likely to apply a drug test, on the basis you appear abnormal and potentially drug affected. (a police mate volunteered physical signs they look for, with my assistance, on the basis of no crime having been committed. Police are very human, which is why they only score 1:9)

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28899
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:28 pm

Drug testing is semi targeted as against absolute random, explains a higher hit rate.
AND gives the meeja a chance to "Ermagerd!!1! Something MERST be done!!!"
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rapunzel
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby rapunzel » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:33 am

ironhanglider wrote:
rapunzel wrote:Is it just me, or is a 1:9 drug test return not something there should be more of a focus on...if not with respect to driving, at least in relation to what this says about our society?


No that says more about the targeting of who they use the drug test kits on. The tests are expensive, so they only use them when they think that there is a good chance of a result. Possibly they also do drug testing after an 'incident'.

Alcohol on the other hand for the majority they just pull over a proportion of the total traffic on a stretch of road. However if there is an incident they will administer a test as SOP.

Cheers,

Cameron

Of course. This makes more sense now. It seemed awfully skewed. :roll:

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5247
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:28 pm

So, after my last brush with the police in which a police officer close passed me... I was told you can't be expected to wait until there is a long straight with good visibility to pass a cyclist as it would take forever to get anywhere.

So, basically he's saying the 1m rule only applies if the driver won't be inconvenienced in any way. If the driver does think it will impede their progress then shave away! Should I ever get pulled over for speeding I might try this.. "but officer it would take forever to get anywhere at 60kph!". I wonder how far that would get me.

Anyway, this is all still in progress. However I was wondering.. the CCC in Queensland can audit police actions for misconduct. Has anyone reported a police officer to the CCC? :shock:

User avatar
InTheWoods
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:11 pm

Comedian you could try the assistant commissioner for that district first?

cj7hawk
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:00 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Comedian you could try the assistant commissioner for that district first?


This is the appropriate method to contact the Queensland Commissioner for Police -

http://aca.nine.com.au/feedback.aspx

Regards
David

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5247
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:46 am

Comedian wrote:So, after my last brush with the police in which a police officer close passed me... I was told you can't be expected to wait until there is a long straight with good visibility to pass a cyclist as it would take forever to get anywhere.

So, basically he's saying the 1m rule only applies if the driver won't be inconvenienced in any way. If the driver does think it will impede their progress then shave away! Should I ever get pulled over for speeding I might try this.. "but officer it would take forever to get anywhere at 60kph!". I wonder how far that would get me.

Anyway, this is all still in progress. However I was wondering.. the CCC in Queensland can audit police actions for misconduct. Has anyone reported a police officer to the CCC? :shock:


And.. it gets worse. "Ethical Standards" didn't investigate at all. They just handed the whole thing over to the bicycle rider hating Sgt Stephens who I spoke to on the phone. So they were of no use at all. You couldn't make this stuff up.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-25/police-crackdown-on-bicycles-without-bells-in-queensland/7198784

I think I've got this in hand though.

User avatar
CKinnard
Posts: 2345
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby CKinnard » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:43 am

Via Stephens' logic, he should also be fining pedestrians who do not used shared paths in accord with the laws of shared use, and thereby create an accident risk. And unfortunate Spencer missed the opportunity to ask him why peds are allowed to wear headphones that render bicycle bells ineffective.

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28899
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Qld Police Report Thread 2016

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:49 pm

Escalate.

You got a police ombudsman up that way?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Return to “Cycling Safety and Advocacy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users