Bike rego/licencing 'debate' coming up on Sunrise this morning (Sat)

Ross

Bike rego/licencing 'debate' coming up on Sunrise this morning (Sat)

Postby Ross » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:10 am

*groan* :roll:

Ross

Re: Bike rego/licencing 'debate' coming up on Sunrise this morning (Sat)

Postby Ross » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:25 am

Surprisingly the host Andrew O'Keefe was defending cyclists against misinformed comments from radio talk-back host Chris Smith. Smith was rolling out the chestnut about cycling adding to congestion on the road not reducing it and O'Keefe set him straight saying a lot of the cycling infastructure is a hotch-potch with paths and lanes not joining so cyclists obviously not going to use these parts.

O'Keefe then mentioned that numerous studies had been done both in Australia and overseas which showed traffic congestion easing and greater economic benefits to local businesses.

Smith also mentioned that some pedestrian he knew was run into by a hit and run cyclist and received a broken hip and was tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket for medical expenses beccause of the incident. O'Keefe quickly retorted that there are many motorist related hit and runs too so one cycling related incident should be kept in perspective.

Smith seemed to have his anti-cycling views and no facts or logic would change these. A bit dissapointing seeing as how he is a motorcycle rider so should be sympathetic to other vunerable road users and was baying for blood when his friend Glenn Wheeler was hit by a car and critically injured while riding his motorbike.

Steven Hodge was articulate and gave a good analogy regarding bike lanes and paths in answer to Chris Smith who said hardly any cyclists use these. Hodge said it's like having a lot of pieces of hose, water won't flow through until all the pieces are joined together.

Dave from Safe Cycling Qld was not doing himself any favours attacking Miranda Devine (who wasn't even in the debate, let alone mentioned by anyone except Dave), accusing her of "stabbing kittens".

Derryn Hinch was asked about his previous comment where he regarded cyclists as "cockroaches on wheels". He replied that it was only the cyclists that go through red lights and other similar offences that he regarded this way, not the general cycling population.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks for the précis. Sounds more balanced than I would expect.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:57 pm

The beautiful Hinch continues with his "cockroach" insults to us all (and it is all of us, not just his "cowboys", that drivers will react to from this sort of insult).

Just the sight of the imbecile makes me want to vomit !!!

That 'Chris' buffoon spelled out his bike-hate pretty clearly in supporting SA's change to allow footpath cycling - "Get them awf the roads" :x
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:17 pm

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Think it was Hinch that gave the example of the person in New York who was hit and left broke due to their medical system becuase they couldn't identify the cyclist.

Wasn't a terrible segment, but wasn't great either. I think that cyclists got slightly on top out of it.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:54 pm

The Human Facepalm wrote:I'm not against cycling, but...
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, just like a certain chip shop employee is "Not against Moslems, but..."
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Andrew O'Keefe is, I believe, a cyclist himself, like the Saturday weatherman James Tobin and midweek Sunrise sports guy Mark Beretta. O'Keefe is also, I believe, trained in law so not an easy man to beat when it comes to logical argument. He is also quick as a whip.
And of course that piece of detritus Hinch is tempering his views because he wants six years on the public purse by winning election to the Federal Senate in the upcoming election.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:23 pm

sound bytes on the telly are hard to come by. I dunno that I would have wasted my opportunity by taking a pointless jab at Miranda Devine.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:25 pm

ross wrote:Dave from Safe Cycling Qld was not doing himself any favours attacking Miranda Devine (who wasn't even in the debate, let alone mentioned by anyone except Dave), accusing her of "stabbing kittens"
Actually I thought it was on point, which is that the tabloid media has to take a lot of the responsibility for fuelling and then fanning the current levels of acrimony from motor vehicle drivers towards cyclists.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:16 pm

trailgumby wrote:
ross wrote:Dave from Safe Cycling Qld was not doing himself any favours attacking Miranda Devine (who wasn't even in the debate, let alone mentioned by anyone except Dave), accusing her of "stabbing kittens"
Actually I thought it was on point, which is that the tabloid media has to take a lot of the responsibility for fuelling and then fanning the current levels of acrimony from motor vehicle drivers towards cyclists.
This is why...
LINK
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:41 pm

Yep, I read a whole heap of kitten-stabbing going on there :x
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:53 pm

Ross wrote:Derryn Hinch was asked about his previous comment where he regarded cyclists as "cockroaches on wheels". He replied that it was only the cyclists that go through red lights and other similar offences that he regarded this way, not the general cycling population.
So I wonder what he calls car drivers who break the same laws but with much larger potential impact. Or maybe he only likes to pick on minority groups to invoke a righteous rage amongst the majority and stoke his ego at the sametime?
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:10 pm

grimbo wrote:So I wonder what he calls car drivers who break the same laws but with much larger potential impact.
valued listeners

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:18 pm

jules21 wrote:
grimbo wrote:So I wonder what he calls car drivers who break the same laws but with much larger potential impact.
valued listeners
Winner! :twisted:
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jules21 wrote:
valued listeners
Winner! :twisted:
Correction - valued voters!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:50 am

I'm having a lot of fun pointing out hinch's thoughts on cyclists to assorted bogan friends and relatives that think he's the next coming of christ lately. :lol: Even when they claim agreement with his attitude things go quiet when I point out the necessity to kill us to comply.

"Oh no, I didn't mean that"

"Then what?"

"Ahhhhh...."

"Yeah, right. You're just an ignorant moron then"

"Ahhhh....."

:lol: