What the Greyhound racing ban means for NSW cycling

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: What the Greyhound racing ban means for NSW cycling

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:19 pm

Applying the Greyhound logic we need the support of the Nationals to win over the Libs

Or perhaps we need the support of the gambling industry?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Mike Baird - Minister for Live-baiting :x
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:11 pm

Looks like that low hanging fruit was politically toxic hmmm...

Good interview on Aunty radio in Sydney, Glover asked him if he or Alan Drones was the premier... :lol:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:48 am

Now it means that you can back down. There is hope for the helmet laws and stupid fines.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:45 am

bychosis wrote:Now it means that you can back down. There is hope for the helmet laws and stupid fines.
Don't be silly, the animal killers have political clout, something we as a collective do not.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:51 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:
bychosis wrote:Now it means that you can back down. There is hope for the helmet laws and stupid fines.
Don't be silly, the animal killers have political clout, something we as a collective do not.
Of course, not much hope, but some.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:36 pm

Politicians can be manipulated. Who knew?

Cheers,

Cameron

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:10 pm

bychosis wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:
It would be interesting to see some analysis on what exactly the Greyhound industry did to get the political clout and perhaps we can learn a little on how to improve ours

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:38 am

mikesbytes wrote:It would be interesting to see some analysis on what exactly the Greyhound industry did to get the political clout and perhaps we can learn a little on how to improve ours
It's probably one of those 'old boys club' things. You know down the pub on Fri night and a few drinks and a punt on the dogs with the 'boys' from the old days, or after a round of golf. Another generation or two and cycling might be getting there, after all it is the new golf isnt it? 'The public' apparently only see bunches of lyrca clad doctors on carbon fibre as cycling but 'everyone' loves a punt on the dogs (not me)

Combine that with the conspiracy theory that the govt wanted the dog tracks back to sell off and develop.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:21 am

We will never know what went on behind closed doors, unless someone decides to leap upon their sword and become a whistle blower, and even then...

On the face of it Baird has been made to realise that banning the industry is going to cause a lot of suffering for people who were not involved in the illegal practices. That is what we have been told. All else is speculation. It is just assumed, because we distrust our politicians to the extent we do, that there has been some corruption, collusion, or coercion behind the scenes to explain it. Highly likely there has, we probably will never know.

Therefore I can't see how any strategy to help cycling could be derived from it, even if we knew the details, because if the conspiracy theories are true, you can't make that part of your public strategy!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

BJL

Postby BJL » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:35 am

silentC wrote:We will never know what went on behind closed doors, unless someone decides to leap upon their sword and become a whistle blower, and even then...

On the face of it Baird has been made to realise that banning the industry is going to cause a lot of suffering for people who were not involved in the illegal practices. !
Illegal practices - Considering that killing a dog by hitting it on the head with a hammer is considered 'humane' and legal in this !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! of a country, just because it's 'legal' doesn't say much. :evil:

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:03 am

Legality is one thing and it's pretty clear and specific. It either is or it isn't, or a court will decide. I know that inhumane disposal of an animal is a crime. A guy was convicted of it last year for using a rock.

Morals and ethics are another thing altogether and personal opinions will vary.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:38 am

There's ways of getting rid of cycling without technically banning it. Require all bicycles to have CTP green slips and cycling is dead.

Unfortunately we need political clout to protect ourselves

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:01 pm

bychosis wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:
The hope lies with the loss of face and popularity this will bring to the govt.
Hopefully it's electorally damaging and the rot may set in.
You need them gone.
The alternative govt can't be worse for cycling than the current cretins.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm still thinking there is something behind the scenes that we can learn from. I'm not saying we adopt their tactics

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:50 pm

warthog1 wrote:
bychosis wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:
The hope lies with the loss of face and popularity this will bring to the govt.
Hopefully it's electorally damaging and the rot may set in.
You need them gone.
The alternative govt can't be worse for cycling than the current cretins.
Oh no. You've gone and set them a challenge.

Cheers,

Cameron

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:12 pm

The recent mailed survey has shown that the majority are willing to support a minority group and at the same time it shows that the majority can be divided and bitter in that support/opposition.

Is this a sign that we can win over the majority? [please don't discuss the survey itself, this thread is not about that]

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:13 pm

The tragic death of a cyclist in Newcastle who slipped on the tram tracks made me think about this thread

The solution was to ban cyclists from that location rather than fix the problem, which is in line with what this thread is about. It sets the scene for cyclists to be banned from anywhere there's a potential for a death, which as NSW cyclists make up less than 1% voting population can be done without political backlash. And will they be banning motorists from intersections where Motorists have been killed?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 pm

The banning of cyclists has spread to Sydney where cyclists have been banned from parts of the new tram route but its OK to drive. Once again its easier to ban a minority group rather than fix the issue

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:36 pm

What’s wrong with you Sydney blokes? Bloody soft if you ask me :lol: oooo tram tracks!!!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:13 pm
The tragic death of a cyclist in Newcastle who slipped on the tram tracks made me think about this thread

The solution was to ban cyclists from that location rather than fix the problem, which is in line with what this thread is about. It sets the scene for cyclists to be banned from anywhere there's a potential for a death, which as NSW cyclists make up less than 1% voting population can be done without political backlash. And will they be banning motorists from intersections where Motorists have been killed?
You called it Mike.
fat and old wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:36 pm
What’s wrong with you Sydney blokes? Bloody soft if you ask me :lol: oooo tram tracks!!!
Want to swap state governments for a while? No, wait, you're in Victoria...keep your non-MPDL lackeys!

I think a lot of people here just don't know how to ride tram tracks yet. Plus the fact that they've put them in unavoidable places, not like some Melbourne areas where you have tram tracks centrally with space either side for cars/bikes/etc. Here it's footpath/trams/footpath an bugger everyone else. That's what happens when you insert infra 50 years after the fact.

Jim

hunch

Postby hunch » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:00 am

The ban on George St seems idiotic, really the best, most level street in the CBD for riding. Prior to the light rail, you were faster than the traffic on a bike, the new roadway isn't compromised by the adjacent tracks, so no obvious safety issue when I rode it the other day....certainly the other bloke I caught up to at the lights thought it was a quick safe ride too. I bet there's more issues with cars and vans illegally stopping in these single lanes or blocking intersections for the trams, than bikes when the thing is fully functional!

Begs the question, what happens at all the cross streets, expected to dismount and walk through the intersections? That will win motorist friendship. :lol:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:24 pm

familyguy wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 am

Want to swap state governments for a while? No, wait, you're in Victoria...keep your non-MPDL lackeys!

Jim
And how's that enforcement going up there? :lol:

Nah, seriously...I think you're right re experience. Unfortunately in this world you won't get the time to gain any.

I've said it time and time again.....don't use OH&S to argue cycling safety. Don't use workcover. Don't talk about risk assessments. You'll lose. If bicycles were invented today think they'd even allow them on the roads? Unfortunately, all these bans do is reinforce my belief in my position.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:45 pm

Hey, we've had at least 14 offences registered for close passing! Though...pretty sure one of the users here was responsible for spoon-feeding 4 of them to the NSWPD to avoid them claiming it was all too hard and ignoring it... :roll: :wink: