2017 Cycling fatalities

Bunged Knee

2017 Cycling fatalities

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:29 pm

A 50-year-old cyclist has passed away in hospital after a collision with a car on Moggill Rd in Chapel Hill early on Friday morning.

The bicycle rider was taken to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital in a critical condition with head injuries, but died on Saturday.

More info in Brisbane Times.

Not far from where Richard Pollett was killed on the same road in 2011.

Condolences to his family and friends.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

trailgumby

Re: 2017 Cycling fatalities

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Very sad.

I'm glad the BT has not enable comments on this article.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:03 pm

The problem is that comments ARE enabled on the Brisbane Times fb page. Don't read them if you value your sanity.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

Thoglette

Truck driver kills cyclist on Whitehall Street,Yarraville, Vic 2017-03-10

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Melbourne cyclist's death after collision with truck prompts call for better bike lanes
Karen Percy ABC Online wrote:The woman was riding along Whitehall Street in Yarraville when the collision happened at the Somerville Road intersection shortly before 6:00pm.

Onlookers tried to help the woman but she died at the scene.

Detective Sergeant Darryl Out said it appeared the cyclist went through a green light, but a truck travelling from the same direction has turned left and struck her.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:29 pm

I watched the abc news segment on it last night expecting victim blaming. It was pretty balanced actually, they interviewed a number of cyclists who cycle in the area and listened to their concerns about some of the driver behaviour.
Sounds like a left hook.
Condolences to her family :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Thoglette

Re: Truck driver kills cyclist on Whitehall Street,Yarraville, Vic 2017-03-10

Postby Thoglette » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:22 am

Cyclists pay tribute to fellow rider Arzu Baglar killed in Yarraville
Peter Lusted ABC News wrote:About 200 cyclists have taken part in a memorial ride in Melbourne's inner-west to honour a cyclist killed at a busy Yarraville intersection.

Mother of two Arzu Baglar, 36, was riding along Whitehall Street on Friday night when she was hit by a turning truck at the Somerville Road intersection shortly before 6:00pm.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:28 pm

RIP Jim. A great bloke with a welcoming heart and an understated sense of humour. You'll be sorely missed by your friends at MBTC.

https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/c ... nish-crash

Thoglette

A 66-year-old male cyclist from Hawthorn east fatally struck by car in Devenish, northern Victoria

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Also mentioned on 9 news and ABC

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Very sad indeed. He was an extremely fit and hardy cyclist who loved his riding. Both here and overseas on a variety of bikes.

Thoglette

Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race death

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:46 pm

Unfortunately a death in the Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race
CKinnard wrote:Another cycling tragedy....on straight road with clear visibility.

The ABC are now confirming it is an IPWR cyclist
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/c ... ra/8403812

Sad for Mike's family
Sad for the organizers and other competitors
Sad for Australian cyclists
Sad for Australia's reputation globally

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:45 pm

An off-duty police officer has died while cycling in Victoria.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-14/o ... ne/8445102

gtext

Postby gtext » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:30 pm

An off-duty police officer who was hit and killed by a ute while cycling with his daughter in Melbourne's south-east on Good Friday has been remembered as a "real personality" and highly regarded veteran sergeant.

The pair was riding east on the Princes Highway, near Dore Road, at Pakenham when the officer, Sergeant Ken Rich, was hit by a Toyota Hilux ute about 8.50am.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... vkwwq.html

Cyclogoat

Postby Cyclogoat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:04 am

Re 14/4/17 "off-duty police officer who was hit and killed by a ute... on the Princes Highway, near Dore Road"

I am very disturbed by this latest incident. This is one of the safest sections of road I have ever riden on. This section of highway has effectively been made redundant by the Pakenham bypass. There is next to no traffic and it is a double lane duel carriageway road. How can this possibly happen?

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:46 am

I agree cyclegoat. You can check the area on Gmaps and it's as you say. Sadly the driver will get a fine probably less than a low speeding fine and another cyclist death is swept under the rug. When are our pollies and police going to take control and drop this "accidents happen" rot? Make people responsible for their actions!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:51 am

Cyclogoat wrote: There is next to no traffic and it is a double lane duel carriageway road. How can this possibly happen?
Spend ten minutes looking at the photos and videos on the Qld Police Report Thread 2016 or the moron motorist thread or several others.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Cyclogoat wrote:I am very disturbed by this latest incident. This is one of the safest sections of road I have ever riden on. This section of highway has effectively been made redundant by the Pakenham bypass. There is next to no traffic and it is a double lane duel carriageway road. How can this possibly happen?
Yes, a very disturbing incident to happen in broad daylight on a lightly used multilane road.

I notice the the story says: "the ute was trying to overtake the cyclists, when the side mirror of the vehicle hit Sergeant Rich"

What is the bet that he was "trying" to overtake by not moving over one inch despite having an empty lane to his his right. It's almost like a whole new definition of "trying" isn't it. :?

Cyclogoat

Postby Cyclogoat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:04 pm

What is the bet that he was "trying" to overtake by not moving over one inch despite having an empty lane to his his right. It's almost like a whole new definition of "trying" isn't it. :?
[/quote]

You would never want to pre-empt any investigations but in that scenario isn't there a six letter word for that beginning with 'm' and ending in 'r'?

uart

Postby uart » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Cyclogoat wrote:
You would never want to pre-empt any investigations but in that scenario isn't there a six letter word for that beginning with 'm' and ending in 'r'?
Yes I totally agree. Though it's all but impossible to prove intent in these cases, so they always get away with it.

I know that sounds a little extreme, but my take on this is the following. A large percentage (though not all) of very close passes are deliberate punishment passes. And a small percentage of these deliberate punishment passes result in either injury to, or death of, the cyclist. One hundred percent of them however, are treated as "accidents".

gtext

Postby gtext » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:38 pm

So what is considered a safe passing minimum distance? Under the current law there is none specified. If there was drivers could be charged for not observing the minimum distance. In the Packenham accedent the driver would be charged with failing to observe that distance and also charged with hitting the cyclist. This may well reduce the number of close passes and support any video evidence.
Currently there's no law broken unless contact is made. Or is there?

I really find it hard to understand why there's such a delay in introducing a minimum safe distance.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:06 pm

gtext wrote:I really find it hard to understand why there's such a delay in introducing a minimum safe distance.
Indeed. And I almost hate to say this, because all of these incidents are absolute tragedies, however, just maybe there could be one good thing to come out of it if it hastens action on minimum passing distance legislation in Vic.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:04 pm

gtext wrote:So what is considered a safe passing minimum distance? Under the current law there is none specified.
In most states where there are marked lanes you may not pass in the same lane.

Further, in no state is it "safe" when you hit someone. Unfortunately the contrapositive seems to have taken hold as a meme: if you weren't hit it must have been safe.

That attitude wouldn't last two seconds in front of the coroner if that was a workplace incident. In that context one is expected to both know what could be reasonably done and one is expected to do it if there's a chance someone might be killed or injured.

Maybe we need a postie (or courier) to report a tradie or courier to get some action :evil:

uart

Postby uart » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Thoglette wrote:
gtext wrote:So what is considered a safe passing minimum distance? Under the current law there is none specified.
In most states where there are marked lanes you may not pass in the same lane.
And in states with minimum safe passing distances the limit at that speed would be 1.5 metres. Obviously this driver had zero metres because he struck the cyclist, however, even if you allowed for the mirrors as not being part of the car then the actual car body must have been withing about 30 cm for the death to happen.
Further, in no state is it "safe" when you hit someone. Unfortunately the contrapositive seems to have taken hold as a meme: if you weren't hit it must have been safe.
Yes, and that is why enforceable minimum passing distance laws are so important. Victoria needs these laws as soon as possible!

gnarly_rider

Postby gnarly_rider » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:49 pm

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:04 pm