Macedon Cyclist Collision

fat and old

Macedon Cyclist Collision

Postby fat and old » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:42 pm

I read that one of the three cyclists cleaned up by a car Monday morning has died.

An article in The Courier has me perplexed. Apparently the road was reduced from 2 lanes each way to one plus a cycle lane, then abandoned after a few months due to community opposition.

A bike lane was installed on the road in 2011, reducing it from four car lanes to two, but it was scrapped by the state government only months later, due to community opposition.

Mr Ellis said the road was in a good condition and the focus for cyclists and the state government should instead be around enforcing a one-metre rule between riders and cars.

"It was installed, and then it was de-installed because a lot of people including cyclists complained about it," Mr Ellis, who has cycled on Macedon roads for a decade, said.

"It benefited a few people but it's not the ideal situation. I think the 'metre matters' rule is really what we need to encourage because all cyclists benefit from that."

Mr Ellis being Macedon Ranges Cycling Club president Brett Ellis.

I'm not familiar with the cycle lane business.....I used that road a lot in the 80's and 90's; not for the last 10 years at least. Maybe someone familiar with it can shed light here? Surely it was safer with a cycle lane? No parked cars to worry about for one.

Either way, a tragedy.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Macedon Cyclist death.

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:00 pm

The usual suspects (the ones blitzing that road well into three digits and slamming into the arse of right turners) made the usual apocalyptic claims, well supported by the "I'm a cyclist too and I do not support this" crowd.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

uart

Postby uart » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:22 pm

fat and old wrote:I'm not familiar with the cycle lane business.....I used that road a lot in the 80's and 90's; not for the last 10 years at least. Maybe someone familiar with it can shed light here? Surely it was safer with a cycle lane? No parked cars to worry about for one.

Yeah multilane roads like that with no adequate shoulder (or cycle lane) are an accident waiting to happen for cyclists. Two types of incidents spring to mind.

1. (Probably the case here). Even under light traffic conditions, perfect visibility and long straight roads, you are in danger any time that two cars are travelling close together. You may be highly visible and the first car might see you from 800 metres or more away, but if they stay in that lane and only move around you at the very last second (which is very common) then the guy behind gets only seconds to see you and react.

Add to this the preference these days for large 4WD's and vans that maximally obscure the visibility of the road ahead for the following driver, plus the boredom and distraction from driving on a long straight quiet road, and it's a real danger.

2. The other situation is more of an issue when the traffic is heavier. Tailgating drivers in the center lane are too close to the car ahead to have any real visibility of the left lane ahead. Yet despite the lack of visibility they'll happily dive into that lane in a split second when they perceive that a gap is opening up there (though the apparent gap was actually just cars moving out of the way of a cyclist).

BTW Fat and Old. Do you know what the speed limit is on that particular road?
Last edited by uart on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:44 pm

uart, sadly I think you have nailed what happened here.

And the victorian premier still thinks cycling safety is not important enough to spend money on. :evil:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Bike lane ditched
Emily Woods The Age 13 june 2017 wrote:Detective Sergeant Mark Amos, who is investigating the crash, said another car had overtaken the cyclists safely, just moments before the crash.

"One car ahead of the offending vehicle actually overtook them safely, and then the second one drove straight into them," he said.

Some comments on the bike lane here too. Photos of the site in The Age coverage.
Last edited by Thoglette on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

uart

Postby uart » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:15 pm

Thoglette wrote:Some comments on the bike lane here too. Photos of the site in The Age coverage.

They could have compromised on the bike lane issue. It would have been very easy to have three traffic lanes and still leave room for a decent marked cycle lane on each side (marked with painted bicycle icons - which really helps the more challenged motorists get the idea).

With 3 lanes they could alternate one and two lanes in each direction, so as to avoid congestion points like right hand turns etc, and still provide regular overtake opportunities for slow vehicles. It was a totally stupid decision to completely scrap the cycles lanes when other options were available.
Last edited by uart on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Science no match for democracy of the meek.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:16 am

I think you're right uart. I recall a policeman commenting that in similar situations to Macedon it's often the 3rd car in a row that hits a cyclist from behind.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:28 am

Back when I used it regularly the limit was 100. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 80 now, but I don't know?

uart wrote:
Thoglette wrote:Some comments on the bike lane here too. Photos of the site in The Age coverage.

They could have compromised on the bike lane issue. It would have been very easy to have three traffic lanes and still leave room for a decent marked cycle lane on each side (marked with painted bicycle icons - which really helps the more challenged motorists get the idea).

With 3 lanes they could alternate one and two lanes in each direction, so as to avoid congestion points like right hand turns etc, and still provide regular overtake opportunities for slow vehicles. It was a totally stupid decision to completely scrap the cycles lanes when other options were available.

At the least. That's why I asked if anyone here used it during the period it was cycle laned? It beggars belief that it was more dangerous to cycles then. Fast traffic sure, but almost totally local and sparse due to the freeway being parallel and close. The way they were described as one lane cars, one lane cycles (it's mostly 2 lanes each way) with the existing width suggests a pretty wide section of lane for cycles?

I have no doubt as to the scenario.....cycles obscured by first car/vehicle, second car runs into them. This is a failure of design and local prejudice moreso than a failure of the driver involved imo.

And meanwhile all I'm reading about is some fire overseas :?

Edit....I just saw the screenshot of the accident in the other thread. Were they actually in a cycle lane? :shock: Say What? Something's wrong here. I'm starting to be very suspicious of the Club Presidents comments?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:37 am

fat and old wrote:This is a failure of design and local prejudice moreso than a failure of the driver involved imo.

Strongly disagree. If you're travelling so close to the car in front of you that you can't see oncoming obstructions/hazards, then you are at fault IMO.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 am

Editorial: Cyclists cannot stay at bottom of food chain
Ross Tyson Bendigo Advertiser 14 Jun wrote:THE volatile relationship between cyclists and motorists has again been thrust into the spotlight this week following two serious incidents in our region.

The first occurred on Monday morning in Macedon when a car struck a group of cyclists from behind, leaving one man fighting for his life and two others nursing serious injuries.

Then, just hours later, a 45-year-old Bendigo cyclist was hospitalised with arm injuries after a crash involving a car on Howard Street, Jackass Flat.

These two events highlight the dangers cyclists face every single time they don the lycra and go for a ride on road networks that are not designed with their safety at heart
Cyclists rely on the skill and goodwill of drivers in order to make it home in one piece, but this is not a responsibility that sits well with many motorists.

They view the road as their domain and regard bike riders as merely trespassers. No quarter is given, even when it is pleaded for through ringing bells and furious hand gestures.

Still reporting "fighting for his life". Is there anything in press stating otherwise?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm

P!N20 wrote:
fat and old wrote:This is a failure of design and local prejudice moreso than a failure of the driver involved imo.

Strongly disagree. If you're travelling so close to the car in front of you that you can't see oncoming obstructions/hazards, then you are at fault IMO.

Not disagreeing here. My sentiment is that had there been a cycle lane this may (depending on the riders) have been less likely. That is the fault of those who campaigned against it. Although as the accident seems to have occurred adjacent to or in a cycle lane I guess that's moot.

For mine, this accident opens a can of worms in more ways than one.

Thoglette....I read that one had died in an article yesty. I could have misread another story or something. Can't find anything to suggest a death today. Hopefully I was wrong.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm hoping so too. No reflection on you, I saw the same report. Latest news (thankfully) is that he is still fighting.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 am

I notice that those editorials are already getting comments blaming the cyclists involved! :?

brinkenJun 14 2017 at 5:36am
Why blame it on the driver a very likely scenario is that after the first car passed the riders drifted out into the cars path.

Marnie Rogers • 2 days ago
I find it ludicrous that cyclists are still permitted to share the same road as cars, trucks and other vehicles going at high speed. We would not allow roller bladers/skaters, go carts, quad bikes, mobility scooters etc on highways, and yet happily allow bike riders and then say drivers are responsible for their safety. Bicycles were a mode of transport before cars but that does not mean they should still have right of passage (excuse the pun) on public roads amongst larger, fast moving traffic.
Create specific bike lanes on roads, widen footpaths to create a bike lane - charge cyclists a registration fee or toll fee to cover the costs if necessary, but stop trying to combine two very different modes of transport on public roads designed for fast moving MOTOR vehicles.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:24 pm

he died? :cry: last I heard he was critical. I was hoping he'd make it.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Macedon Cyclist Collision

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Admin Says: Thread title amended on request (some uncertainty about the nature of the tragedy)
Christopher

P!N20

Re: Macedon Cyclist Collision

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Any update on this? I'm hoping no news is good news.