NSW Budget 2017

find_bruce

NSW Budget 2017

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm an optimist, so I thought I would see what the NSW budget had in store for cycling
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Re: NSW Budget 2017

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:57 pm

What did you expect, the red carpet treatment? This govt would rather us just all go away and cease to exist.

Budgets are about allocating funding to win the most votes IMO.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:57 pm

I checked as well... and then on Facebook noticed a share post from a Bicycle NSW press release:
https://bicyclensw.org.au/nsw-governmen ... your-bike/
Today we are able to deliver our members and friends news from the NSW State Government’s recent budget announcement.

Following our advocacy work and relationship we have built liaising both directly with the NSW State Government and with its agencies Transport for NSW and RMS on a number of key projects and developments, Minister Constance has announced the 2017/18 NSW Budget includes $62 million in funds this year to deliver 150 projects for walking and cycling across both urban and regional NSW. This in an increase on last year’s budget of $58m for 300 projects, and is in addition to the already announced $80 million Cycling Infrastructure Fund for key projects funded over 4 years. Read the press release: Andrew Constance med rel – On your bike 150 local projects funded.

We are happy to see the continued focus on cycling and Active Transport infrastructure, we support the commitment to these projects and we look forward to working with the NSW Government, its agencies and Local Councils to ensure smooth delivery of these quality infrastructure developments.
Key Sydney transport interchanges will be supported by more than $5 million to build missing links in the cycling and pedestrian network including:

More than $1 million for cycleways in the Sydney CBD, including the link from Kent Street to the Southern Portal of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Almost $2 million to build a further stage of the segregated cycleway along the full length of Lilyfield Road between Iron Cove and Victoria Road in Balmain
A further $1.2 million to build missing shared pathways and pedestrian links in Parramatta.
Mr Constance said this funding was in addition to a massive $80 million Restart NSW reservation in the Cycling Infrastructure Fund.

From past years, the combined pedestrian and cycling budget has remained less than 1% of the entire budget so from $72 billion, this is 0.08% ... COMBINED for pedestrians and cycling.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks Christopher - your post led me to the press release & an article in the SMH

I like to go back to the 2010 Bikeplan to see what has been delivered or the so called priorities.
  1. Naremburn to Harbour Bridge - hasn't progressed beyond press releases
  2. North Ryde to Macquarie Uni - not that I know of
  3. Prospect to Blacktown - don't think anything has bee built north of the M4
  4. Lidcombe to Strathfield - supposed to be a connection between Prospect Canal Reserve & Cook's River (together with J) - nothing happended
  5. Blacktown to Parramatta - connection between Blacktown & Windsor Rd path - nothing happened
  6. Chatswood to Artarmon - might have been some paint, but no connection
  7. Moore Park pedestrian / cycle bridge - built in the wrong place at a massive cost
  8. Botany Bay to Maroubra - may be some bits & pieces, no connections
  9. Huntleys Point pedestrian / cycle bridge - nothing, nil, nada, zip
  10. Guildford to Chester Hill - nope as per D
  11. Dulwich Hill to Lilyfield (parallel to light rail western extension corridor) - a few bits have been done, but major challenges involve major road crossings - proposals for bridges & tunnels, that may or may not happen.
  12. M2 Corridor (route under consideration) - no prospect in the foreseeable future
  13. Carlingford Line corridor (route under investigation) - yeah sure it is
So far as I can tell the Dulwich Hill-Lilyfield & southern approach to the Harbour bridge are the only projects even vaguely connected to previous "priorities"

The proposed cycleway along Lilyfield Road will be second rate involving both hills & regular dangerous intersections, euphemistically referred to as "at grade", all because they failed to run it along the light rail corridor when they had the chance

Feel free to point out any I have missed as its all a bit depressing thus far.

Tomodachi

Postby Tomodachi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:20 pm

when did the Sydney Harbour Bridge Cycleway open, what year?

I heard that there was 35 million approved to build ramps on the north and south, maybe that's last years news.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 am

find_bruce wrote:Thanks Christopher - your post led me to the press release & an article in the SMH

I like to go back to the 2010 Bikeplan to see what has been delivered or the so called priorities.
  4. Lidcombe to Strathfield - supposed to be a connection between Prospect Canal Reserve & Cook's River (together with J) - nothing happended
  5. Blacktown to Parramatta - connection between Blacktown & Windsor Rd path - nothing happened
  7. Moore Park pedestrian / cycle bridge - built in the wrong place at a massive cost
  11. Dulwich Hill to Lilyfield (parallel to light rail western extension corridor) - a few bits have been done, but major challenges involve major road crossings - proposals for bridges & tunnels, that may or may not happen.
  12. M2 Corridor (route under consideration) - no prospect in the foreseeable future
So far as I can tell the Dulwich Hill-Lilyfield & southern approach to the Harbour bridge are the only projects even vaguely connected to previous "priorities"

The proposed cycleway along Lilyfield Road will be second rate involving both hills & regular dangerous intersections, euphemistically referred to as "at grade", all because they failed to run it along the light rail corridor when they had the chance

Typical of NSW budgets, it is always and only ever about Greater Sydney. The rest of the state gets right royally screwed.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:Typical of NSW budgets, it is always and only ever about Greater Sydney. The rest of the state gets right royally screwed.
The Sydney centric list was my fault. In Sydney much is promised but little delivered. Less is promised for the rest of NSW, but as I understand most of it gets delivered - eg in your area 2010 Bikeplan said the Fernleigh track was going to be completed, which I thought happened, as did the Glendale-Wallsend cycleway. Not sure about the Gosford plans though
In Gosford the shared path around Brisbane Water will be completed, and the feasibility of a new connection between Point Clare and Gosford investigated along the rail line. Cycleways will be extended along the Central Coast Highway, Terrigal Drive, Avoca Drive and the Pacific Highway between Gosford and Ourimbah. In Wyong, shared paths will be extended and connected, completing missing links such as between Tuggerah and Norah Head, and routes to the new Warnervale town centre.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:48 am

It is great the new harbor bridge cycleway.. no more walking up/down stairs :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:02 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Thanks Christopher - your post led me to the press release & an article in the SMH

Typical of NSW budgets, it is always and only ever about Greater Sydney. The rest of the state gets right royally screwed.
The Sydney centric list is to highlight the broken promises. Lidcombe to Strathfield never happened, and won't ever happen. Guildford to Chester Hill the same, nothing.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm

CXCommuter wrote:It is great the new harbor bridge cycleway.. no more walking up/down stairs :roll:
Yes, but it will be many years later at an unknown date. :roll:
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...