Let's Stop Pretending Cyclists and Motorists are Equal on the Road

biker jk

Re: Let's Stop Pretending Cyclists and Motorists are Equal on the Road

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm terrorised by motorists on almost every ride. It's an accurate description.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Thoglette wrote:Originallly on The Conversation, with a much more effective (and IMHO appropriate) headline photo.
The Converstation: Young female utility rider (sans helmet, OMGosh) under the wheels of a car.
The ABC: Arse end of a MAMIL moving quickly.

Interestingly, The Conversation's photos were of utility riders in normal clothing. Whereas half the ABCs were full-lycra (one photo was a shaved-legged-bunch - what's that got to do with transport, anyway?) and all had helmets. All identifiable riders in the ABC article were male. Only one was in "civvies".

No bias, is there? <irony>Where's Ms. Hanson when you need her? </irony>
Perhaps this would have been more appropriate?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
BJL wrote: But however you look at it, the 'cockroaches on wheels' comment can only be construed to mean one thing.
Yes, that "one thing" is that he's calling for cyclists to be registered.

No one is calling for cyclists to be killed (except the occasional anonymous idiot). There's just no way you can equate this to terrorism.
The "occasional anonymous idiot" brigade includes a highly prominent comedian, herself a member of a minority group, who spewed anti-cycling, vitriolic hatred on a national television program a few years back, calling for cyclists to be run down and killed by drivers. As I recall she was aided and abetted by another female comedian who is not a member of any kind of minority group.
That was obviously attempted humour, not hatred. I've also heard jokes about running down pedestrians, and deliberately crashing into cars with a "Baby on board" sign. Heck, on TV only 2 nights ago ("Live at the Apollo", ABC 2), a comedian was joking about Austrians keeping kids in dungeons (a reference to the Fritzl case). I changed channels because I don't enjoy those sorts of jokes, but you've got to lighten up and realise it's attempted humour, not hatred.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:
That was obviously attempted humour, not hatred. I've also heard jokes about running down pedestrians, and deliberately crashing into cars with a "Baby on board" sign. Heck, on TV only 2 nights ago ("Live at the Apollo", ABC 2), a comedian was joking about Austrians keeping kids in dungeons (a reference to the Fritzl case). I changed channels because I don't enjoy those sorts of jokes, but you've got to lighten up and realise it's attempted humour, not hatred.

No, that's twice now you've attempted to be the 'apology police'. Being an apologist doesn't cut it.

The incident in question - Magda Szubanski - was a shocking hate filled rant complete with violent gestures - and her placating attempt at an apology somewhat later perhaps indicates she accepted she had crossed a line. Humour can be broadly and robustly defended, but incitement to kill is exactly that. Always. Alan Jones skated exactly that line when he called for a current PM to be "stuffed in a chaff bag and thrown into Sydney Harbour."