Re: Cyclist seriously injured in Brisbane

Postby CKinnard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:19 pm

K2 wrote: Wow! :shock:

Just.... Wow.
47kph .... just.....WOW!

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:No, but it is an Australian thing, and the Greens councillor is Australian, or I certainly hope so, anyway: do double-citizenship laws apply to shire councillors? :lol:
That's a Commonwealth Constitution thing. Doesn't apply to the states. They have their own constitutions.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:31 pm

CKinnard wrote:

Just.... Wow.
47kph .... just.....WOW!
In a 50 zone. Those bastards!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Comedian wrote:
CKinnard wrote:

Just.... Wow.
47kph .... just.....WOW!
In a 50 zone. Those bastards!
Uh huh. Add two more wheels, an engine and a roof and nobody would have said a damn thing about the victims speed
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Correction MB. The police and the media would go out of their way to state that the motorist was not speeding.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:46 pm

human909 wrote:Correction MB. The police and the media would go out of their way to state that the motorist was not speeding.
Very true, I sit corrected :oops:
Same intellectual discord that always mentions whether a rider was crowned with the magic mushroom when a Commodore runs a red and cleans them up :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:39 pm

If it were a car, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the "Wipe off 5" campaign brought out. Wouldn't expect it, but wouldn't be surprised.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:15 pm

The driver has now been penalised for the grand total of $378 and 3 demerit points for failing to give way when doing a U-turn.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-25/c ... sh/9084438

With this massive penalty you can be sure that other drivers will keep the wellbeing of cyclists foremost in their thoughts at all times.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Scott_C wrote:The driver has now been penalised for the grand total of $378 and 3 demerit points for failing to give way when doing a U-turn.
you're being a bit harsh there Scott. don't forget that with 3 demerit points, he will have his licence suspended for a little while if he does it 4 times.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:27 pm

You'd at least think that the driver would be charged with an offence against Rule 37 (Making a U-turn without a clear view of approaching traffic) as well as Rule 38 (Failing to give way when making a U-turn).

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Scott_C wrote:You'd at least think that the driver would be charged with an offence against Rule 37 (Making a U-turn without a clear view of approaching traffic) as well as Rule 38 (Failing to give way when making a U-turn).
The more appropriate charge would have been one for careless/reckless/dangerous driving. These are the ones that have different names in different states, but which are not tied to a specific action. The specific ones are just infringements for disobeying a rule. This is more serious and should bring a charge of carelessness etc. But it's more work for the police so they like to stick to the easy ones, with the soft penalties.

In fairness, the more serious charges also bring a higher change of acquittal, but that's not a reason for the police to avoid them altogether.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:24 pm

jules21 wrote:The more appropriate charge would have been one for careless/reckless/dangerous driving. These are the ones that have different names in different states, but which are not tied to a specific action.
Is there an option in QLD for the injured parties to sue?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:44 pm

They will apply the more serious charges when it is a sympathetic victim it just seems to be when the victims are average cyclists that it is impossible to get a serious charge laid (unless one of the 'automatic' conditions applies i.e. drunk or travelling more than 40kph over the speed limit).

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Pathetic effort .Blaming the sun or whatever just proves that most police are pro car and anti cycling and did not take into account the stupidity and extent of injuries.
If I was a victim I would complain to public prosecutors office and definitely commence civil action even though presumably Motor Accident Insurance Commission are liable ?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 pm

More importantly any news on how the cyclists are doing ?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:More importantly any news on how the cyclists are doing ?
Some are struggling with the aftermath, according to the ABC Article
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Thoglette wrote:
jules21 wrote:The more appropriate charge would have been one for careless/reckless/dangerous driving. These are the ones that have different names in different states, but which are not tied to a specific action.
Is there an option in QLD for the injured parties to sue?
Yes.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:More importantly any news on how the cyclists are doing ?
It's going to be a long while till my mate is riding again. He said he'll probably never ride on the road again. :cry:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:50 pm

Comedian wrote:It's going to be a long while till my mate is riding again. He said he'll probably never ride on the road again. :cry:
Thanks for the response Comedian, even though the news is sad. Long after these sort of matters have faded from the news & the perpetrator has completed whatever punishment, people like your mate will continue to pay for the drivers mistake, carrying the physical & mental scars. Take care

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 pm

I wonder what the recumbent Brisbane anaesthetist thinks about the role of helmets in this accident.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:16 pm

CKinnard wrote:I wonder what the recumbent Brisbane anaesthetist thinks about the role of helmets in this accident.
I'm pretty sure he would say that going down Dornoch at 40+kph on a road bike is "sports cycling". I'm pretty sure he would suggest that you wear a helmet while sports cycling. He wears helmets when sports cycling.

He'd be disappointed that you weren't able to understand that that was a different type of activity compared to utility cycling. Much in the way that if you raced a race car on a track you would be expected to wear a helmet - and that hell would open up if someone suggested that you needed to wear a helmet in your car while driving to the shops.

He also told me once.. that if you are doing anything in life that requires protective equipment you should probably consider whether you really want to do it.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 am

Comedian wrote: I'm pretty sure he would say that going down Dornoch at 40+kph on a road bike is "sports cycling". I'm pretty sure he would suggest that you wear a helmet while sports cycling. He wears helmets when sports cycling.

He'd be disappointed that you weren't able to understand that that was a different type of activity compared to utility cycling. Much in the way that if you raced a race car on a track you would be expected to wear a helmet - and that hell would open up if someone suggested that you needed to wear a helmet in your car while driving to the shops.

He also told me once.. that if you are doing anything in life that requires protective equipment you should probably consider whether you really want to do it.
With police and magistrate attitudes such as in this case, riding helmetless to the shops in Brisbane is not going to cut it in making me believe I am riding to baguettes and coffee in Paris.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 am

find_bruce wrote:Thanks for the response Comedian, even though the news is sad. Long after these sort of matters have faded from the news & the perpetrator has completed whatever punishment, people like your mate will continue to pay for the drivers mistake, carrying the physical & mental scars. Take care
Which is precisely why motorists should face stronger punishments. Either fines and/or loss of license for gross negligence resulting in the serious injury of vulnerable road users.
CKinnard wrote:With police and magistrate attitudes such as in this case, riding helmetless to the shops in Brisbane is not going to cut it in making me believe I am riding to baguettes and coffee in Paris.
I'm not sure how that is relevant nor how your choice is relevant to another person's choice.

We should be able to choose.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Comedian wrote: I'm pretty sure he would say that going down Dornoch at 40+kph on a road bike is "sports cycling". I'm pretty sure he would suggest that you wear a helmet while sports cycling. He wears helmets when sports cycling.

With police and magistrate attitudes such as in this case, riding helmetless to the shops in Brisbane is not going to cut it in making me believe I am riding to baguettes and coffee in Paris.
And how often do you ride to the local shops, doctor, restaurant, barber, school?

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:29 pm

While the question wasn't posed to me, the more apt question would be how often do I not ride to "local shops, doctor, restaurant, barber, school".