Mobility scooter users at 35kph, says senator

uart

Re: Meanwhile, at the National's conference.

Postby uart » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am

jillybean wrote:
uart wrote: She should instead have called for mandatory shin-guards for pedestrians. :mrgreen:
Some context here - there have been a couple of incidents in Hervey Bay where scooter riders have been hit while on pedestrian crossings.
Then she should have called for mandatory helmet usage for everyone, including pedestrians. Or better still, voluntary helmet usage for everyone, including cyclists. :)

fat and old

Re: Mobility scooter users at 35kph, says senator

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:46 am

BenGr wrote:
fat and old wrote:On that linked article...

Too slow? And what speed do pedestrians average at road crossing?
I think a big factor is how long the transitions from footpath to road and back take, a wheelchair can't just hop the kerb.
?? I don't know....I haven't seen any of them try a Sagan and bunny hop the kerb :lol:

If they are crossing legally at a ped crossing...or indeed anywhere else it's legal and sane to cross then I cannot see them taking longer than a ped. I reckon that claim's a bit dodgy.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:There is a threat to pedestrians - no doubt the "pedestrian safety clowncil" will be straight onto that :roll:
Probably like their solution to cars hitting them is to tell pedestrians not to listen to music
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:34 pm

find_bruce wrote:There is a threat to pedestrians - no doubt the "pedestrian safety clowncil" will be straight onto that :roll:
Arrold Skruloose? His remit appears to be solely advocating for those people who conduct their pedestrian activities from inside their Pajero...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Thoglette

Don’t ignore the mobility scooter. It may just be the future of transport

Postby Thoglette » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Don’t ignore the mobility scooter. It may just be the future of transport
Birtchnell, Waitt & Harada. The Conversation October 13, 2017 wrote: Rather than restricting mobility scooter use, resources would be much better spent on making cities “smarter” and more sensitive to all citizens’ needs. Otherwise, transport disruptions are inevitable.
Not exactly a deep paper but I can see that semi-autonomous mobility scooters have a raft of advantages over the much vaulted "self driving car."

It may be that the mobility scooter is the transport "convergence" platform, in much the same way that the mobile phone has left the PC (particularly The Grandpa Box) behind.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ