Research Paper: Bike lanes in Sydney effect on Cycling Participation

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Research Paper: Bike lanes in Sydney effect on Cycling Participation

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Free access until Nov 17 to this research paper which looks at both the decline of cycling but also how cycling lanes lead to an increase in trips by bike.

Focus is Sydney and there are some Australian national references.

https://t.co/mNlrVpya1l
Cycling is in my BNA

Cyclophiliac

Re: Research Paper: Bike lanes in Sydney effect on Cycling Participation

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Did the article, perchance, mention the effect of removing existing lanes? :roll:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:28 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Free access until Nov 17
How so?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Tried to download, it took me to Elsevier, which wanted to charge in USD.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:53 am

Try This:

https://t.co/mNlrVpya1l

The original link was via twitter and it appears that desktop access redirects to a paywall.
Last edited by AUbicycles on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Link
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 am

@cyclophilliac, I still need to read it but you need to know that it is a research paper with a methodology rather than advocacy or protest activity.

With these type of papers you have to see if their approach matches that what you are after. Similarly, as one single paper, you also need to critically evaluate their findings... sometimes evidence and facts are driven by numerous correlating papers.
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm

I saw Rissel's name and lost interest.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Here are some more details. I updated the links, from Twitter (Chris Standon (AT)@cms2037) this was announced and it was possible to download however via other methods I have also encountered the paywall.

Contributors to the paper:
Melanie Crane
Chris Rissel
Chris Standen
Adrian Ellison
Richard Ellison
Li Ming Wena
Stephen Greaves

Organisations behind it:
Prevention Research Collaboration, Sydney School of Public Health, The University of Sydney
The University of Sydney Business School, The University of Sydney
Health Promotion Service, Sydney Local Health District, Camperdown

ABSTRACT

Background:
This study sought to evaluate the health and transport impacts of urban bicycle infrastructure for transport through a commuting corridor in Sydney, Australia.

Methods:
An online survey and seven-day travel diary collected health and travel data from intervention area residents, and residents of a control area with similar characteristics and distance from the city, at baseline (n = 846), and follow-up, four months (wave 2; n = 512) and 16 months (wave 3; n = 418) post-construction. Multilevel regression modelling was used to compare changes over time with distance from the cycleway.

Results:
In wave 3 24.5% of the intervention group reported using the new cycleway. Residents who started using the cycleway predominantly lived within 1 km of the cycleway (62%); however 13% of users in wave 3 lived more than 3 km from the cycleway. Frequent cycling (weekly) was strongly associated with use of the cycleway (p < 0.001), and remained consistent between waves 2 and 3 (p = 0.3). Changes in cycling frequency associated with distance from the cycleway were observed over time; specifically, those who lived 1.00–2.99 km from the cycleway increased their weekly cycling, compared with those either closer to or further from the cycleway (p = 0.08). These findings were replicated in a smaller sample of cyclists who recorded minutes/ week cycling (p = 0.007). Improved social capital was observed in the intervention group over time; however, changes in physical activity and quality of life were not observed within the time period.

Conclusions:
Cycling participation has been decreasing in Sydney and Australia in recent years; however, urban bicycle transport infrastructure can have a positive impact on cycling, particularly urban cycling for transport, and has the potential to improve health and transport outcomes for city residents.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks Christopher, that worked.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 pm

fat and old wrote:I saw Rissel's name and lost interest.
How come?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 pm

trailgumby wrote:
fat and old wrote:I saw Rissel's name and lost interest.
How come?
A previous study of his was proven to be flawed. He was given the opportunity to correct it and after submitting the amended version was still flawed. He was given another opportunity and failed to take it up. The study was discredited. This is my understanding and am happy to be corrected; I don't believe I will be in any meaningful way.

Edit: I suppose I should make mention that it concerned MHL's. Not that that should matter.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:50 am

Dogs are the best people :wink:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Not sure to be honest...it involved research that maintained that head injuries to cyclists increased in NSW (iirc) post MHL's.

It's really a discussion for the helmet thread, although in my eyes after having the study retracted by the publishing journal his credibility hit rock bottom. These things happen when you take sides I guess.

Posters such as Thoglette would be much better informed than me on this.

Edit...here

http://www.cbdbug.org.au/wp-content/upl ... leased.pdf

http://acrs.org.au/journals/august-2010-vol-21-no-3/
The effects of bicycle helmet legislation on cycling-related injury This paper has been retracted. See the paper by Tim Churches, ‘Data and graphing errors in the Voukelatos and Rissel paper’, in Volume 21 No. 4, 2010, and the notice from the Peer-Reviewed Papers Editor, Professor Raphael Grzebieta, ‘Retraction of the Voukelatos and Rissel paper on bicycle helmet legislation and injury’, in Volume 22 No. 1, 2011.
http://acrs.org.au/wp-content/uploads/A ... WebLR1.pdf

Page 39

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks F&O :)

Your google Fu is stronger than mine ;)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:48 pm

fat and old wrote:These things happen when you take sides I guess.
Yup. I've only got two papers by Rissel but 2010 has taken the sheen of anything. And now I have to read anything with the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! detector set to 11.

It's disappointing when the blinkers come on. There's a number of names in "the literature" who don't help constructive debate. You can't tell if they're being serious or pushing a party line. I've got got one paper which creates random models which then "show" that MHLs work. Seriously? And that's just the beginning of the problems.

The funniest stuff is bits like: Olivier, J. Grzebieta, R. Wang, J.J.J. & Walter, S. "Statistical Errors in Anti-Helmet Arguments" 2013 who in their conclusion state, without a hint of irony:
Oliver et. al. wrote:We further caution against the use of advocacy groups, such as those listed above, as a resource for shaping road safety policy
Despite the long history of advocacy by at least one of the authors.

Talk about "playing the man". And it means that everything else they say, much of it with potential merit, has to be taken with a bucket of salt.

</rant>

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:26 am

I have to ask does it make any difference that he (and others I assume) make a mistake of this type? It seems as though others are prepared to have their names alongside his. Does that signify an acceptance and understanding of the situation or a harsh reality that you can't always pick who your compadres are?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 pm

fat and old wrote:I have to ask does it make any difference that he (and others I assume) make a mistake of this type? It seems as though others are prepared to have their names alongside his. Does that signify an acceptance and understanding of the situation or a harsh reality that you can't always pick who your compadres are?
I think it means that people learn, including Rissel.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:36 pm

trailgumby wrote:
fat and old wrote:I have to ask does it make any difference that he (and others I assume) make a mistake of this type? It seems as though others are prepared to have their names alongside his. Does that signify an acceptance and understanding of the situation or a harsh reality that you can't always pick who your compadres are?
I think it means that people learn, including Rissel.
I guess they do, although my question wasn't about him rather his peers, and by extension us. We have to rely on papers such as his in order to make decisions etc; I'm certainly not smart enough in these fields. How do I know that he (or anyone else in that position) has learned from his mistakes? I have to rely on his peers judgement and therefore the question. If they accept him, should I? What do they base that acceptance on?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:16 pm

fat and old wrote: I have to rely on his peers judgement and therefore the question. If they accept him, should I? What do they base that acceptance on?
Like the rest of us: previous track record. When you're writing a multi-author paper it's likely that you're going to rely on the other authors to some degree, unless you're reporting on some in-lab experiment you all did.

It is also possible that someone is doing useful work even if you disagree with their interpretations of the results and subsequent recommendations. Likewise people often change views throughout their career, even outside politics. And occasionally people make mistakes.

On Rissel, his evidence to Parliment in 2015 (Economics reference commitee) was well stated and aligned with best practice but he's a conscientious non-wearer. And therefore, for me, potentially subject to bias. On the other hand the pro-MHL crowd, on the whole, come across as willfully ignorant to the point of being delusional (e.g. p34 Rosenfeld stating there is no evidence that MHLs reduce participation)

Actually, and in retrospect, the ERC Hansard is exactly the sort of document which gives you a clear view of the character, values and biases of the participants. Unedited and mostly* not scripted, I highly recommend it.

*If nothing else, the evidence from the VicRoads representative should cause a giggle (Utopia here we are!)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Fair enough. I guess my crap-o-meter will still be on high alert with his work, although I have read a few he's co-authored regarding cycling uptake where any references to MHL's have been noticeably absent....so that's a plus.

It is telling that Grzebieta was the Editor that lead the retraction team. Not a co-incidence perhaps? And not something that inspires faith in anything he does either TBH.

Oh yeah, FWIW....another paper....

Current Cycling, Bicycle Path Use, and Willingness to Cycle More—Findings From a Community Survey of Cycling in Southwest Sydney, Australia

Some of the same authors involved. May be worth scoping to see if there's any great changes over the last 7 years :)

https://cyclingconnectingcommunities.fi ... -paper.pdf

Freebie!!

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:37 pm

When reading ANY academic paper on ANY topic I find it best to look at the motivations of the research first.

It is unfortunate that the main motivation for most academic papers is publish or perish. So you regularly end up with mediocre papers that add little to broader knowledge and instead dilute the pool of worthwhile papers. Of course combine that with the authors in built biases then it doesn't really help.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 am

fat and old wrote:Fair enough. I guess my crap-o-meter will still be on high alert with his work, although I have read a few he's co-authored regarding cycling uptake where any references to MHL's have been noticeably absent....so that's a plus.

It is telling that Grzebieta was the Editor that lead the retraction team. Not a co-incidence perhaps? And not something that inspires faith in anything he does either TBH.

Oh yeah, FWIW....another paper....

Current Cycling, Bicycle Path Use, and Willingness to Cycle More—Findings From a Community Survey of Cycling in Southwest Sydney, Australia

Some of the same authors involved. May be worth scoping to see if there's any great changes over the last 7 years :)

https://cyclingconnectingcommunities.fi ... -paper.pdf

Freebie!!

When it says that paths may not go where people want to go, I mean, they sort of do - but just not far enough to link up with some other paths like Cooks River or to the inner-city/CBD without having to use the road. Just my 2c worth, not that it means much - I only live in the area...

Local riders ride either with or without helmets, and on all kinds of bikes, either for fitness, enjoyment, commuting, etc. It's a broad selection.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 am

human909 wrote:When reading ANY academic paper on ANY topic I find it best to look at the motivations of the research first.
Secondly, compare their references with the lists scholar.google.com throws up. And any claims that "there's no data" or only one set of reliable data.

Likewise data that comes only from unusual places: I had a paper that "proved" light rail was less effective than private car usage - by picking on a single small city somewhere just east of the rockies.

The final one is comparing apples with oranges and is a bit harder to spot. I had a British feasibility study for a rail line where they'd included the "potential loss of income from alternative use of the land over the lifetime of the railway" as one of a myriad of costs . These was compared to the maintenance of an existing road, based on current figures. Not surprisingly they found that the rail line was uneconomic!

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:15 pm

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05/21 ... r-studies/

the editors of the journal loved their conclusion that pen1ses “are not best understood as the male sexual organ” but rather “social construct that is both damaging and problematic for society and future generations

Plenty of other examples of deliberate sham research accepted and published.

Its not a new problem, but it has worsened.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Thoglette wrote:
human909 wrote:When reading ANY academic paper on ANY topic I find it best to look at the motivations of the research first.
Secondly, compare their references with the lists scholar.google.com throws up. And any claims that "there's no data" or only one set of reliable data.

Likewise data that comes only from unusual places: I had a paper that "proved" light rail was less effective than private car usage - by picking on a single small city somewhere just east of the rockies.

The final one is comparing apples with oranges and is a bit harder to spot. I had a British feasibility study for a rail line where they'd included the "potential loss of income from alternative use of the land over the lifetime of the railway" as one of a myriad of costs . These was compared to the maintenance of an existing road, based on current figures. Not surprisingly they found that the rail line was uneconomic!
Oh come on, there were 3, Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook. (and it was a monorail which was more effective than private cars)

Cheers,

Cameron