Going around in circles

Mugglechops

Going around in circles

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Back in May I sent the RMS an email regarding the lack of signage on the shared path alongside the Princes Hwy in South Nowra.

I received this reply.

Hi Greg,
Thank you for your enquiry regarding signage along the shared paths at South Nowra along the Princes Highway. I have passed your request for signage onto Shoalhaven Council as the shared path is under the care and control of Council. Council has advised that they will investigate the status of signage for the shared paths.
Kind Regards,

Yesterday I got this from Shoalhaven Council.

Dear Mr. Lewis,

Thank you for your correspondence requesting shared path signage along the Princes Highway, South Nowra.

I note Council do not generally install midblock shared path signage for private accesses that cross on-road shared paths, and these issues are covered under the NSW Road Rules, as such no additional signage will be installed at this stage.

I advise that the issues regarding motorist non-compliance (blocking a shared path, crossing a shared path when there is a path user) are policing issues, and Council has no jurisdiction in this matter.

Accordingly, I have requested the NSW Police Force (Local Area Command) to note your concerns and to undertake regular and ongoing enforcement patrols of the area, with a focus on shared path use.

I have also forwarded your concerns regarding parked vehicles on the shared path to Council’s Ranger Services for their enforcement.

I trust that this is satisfactory and thank you for your interest in this matter

So from that I am taking that they are planning on doing nothing......

find_bruce

Re: Going around in circles

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Ah yes, the old somebody else's problem shuffle. (Thanks for that phrase Douglas Adams)

I had exactly the same problem with the shared path on Victoria Rd - cars crossing without so much as looking, especially into and out of petrol stations.

It is so frequent an occurence that Kennards Hire put up a sign & flashing light - not to warn drivers to give way to pedestrians & cyclists, these braniacs decided to warn pedestrians & cyclists that drivers enter & leave these premises in breach of the road rules. :roll:

A car parked on Victoria Rd will be charged $199 for the privilege of being towed by the RMS, who constantly monitor the road & in addition the fine is $257. Park on the shared path next to Victoria Rd & no-one GaF. When you can finally badger the clowncil into issuing a fine, it is all of $110.

It took me 3 years to get the former Leichardt clowncil to take any action & that was by repeatedly badgering the MP for the area who happened to be the former mayor.

Good luck!
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 pm

It's true that often the hardest part is finding out who actually has the power to make a difference.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Mugglechops, keep on it. I would start making some calls because letters are frustrating and slow.

If the RMS information is to be trusted, the the council have talked around the issue. "Generally we don't"... but in actual fact it may be their responsibility. Yes, they are guided by the road rules or guidelines, but common sense and risk/danger should also be factored in and if a change such as signage will make it safer and help prevent injury and death, this is a better scenario than cleaning up after injury or life is lost.

Where letters can help is to the local major and even the paper. Once it gets political and interest, suddenly the responsible people start to take action.
Cycling is in my BNA

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Is this the path that passes the South Nowra Maccas/car yards/Bunnings stretch?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Might be time to invest in a Fly12 and Fly6

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:46 pm

familyguy wrote:Is this the path that passes the South Nowra Maccas/car yards/Bunnings stretch?
Yep that's the one