Will Vic allow bikes on footpaths soon (2017)?

flywheels

Will Vic allow bikes on footpaths soon (2017)?

Postby flywheels » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Hello, people in the know,

Do you think Vic will allow bikes on footpaths soon (riders not kids nor with relevant medical conditions)? Other States allow this now and some reports in 2015 (I can't remember now) recommended it. If not imminent, and assuming you agree with the request, do you think we can lobby for it, with suggested solutions?

I would like to ride more -to be more environmentally considerate, for exercise and recreation, and for convenience. But I am terrified of riding on roads!!! (Could be from witnessing a cyclist being pushed by a car's proximity off the road and cracking his head, I thought helmeted, on a street lamp post, with blood oozing out like tomato sauce.) So I drive where cycling would have worked :-(

To help with our request, how about:
One suggestion.... For slow coaches like me, maybe we could (I am myself very willing to) wear a cool-looking-and-cycling-promoting vest with a speed limit sign! That might be a first step to assuage pedestrians' fear -and we can remind objectors that cyclists ARE pedestrians too.

2nd or concurrent step could be to make most footpaths shared-paths except identified/classified busy footpaths. Most suburban footpaths are empty, hardly ever frequented by pedestrians.

3rd step is to gradually build more bike paths. Reduce climate damages. World oils run out.

Plus, while we're at it, the Idaho stop?

Lastly, what other organisations can we write to to lobby this please?

Thank you for your advice.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will Vic allow bikes on footpaths soon (2017)?

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:07 am

flywheels wrote:One suggestion.... For slow coaches like me, maybe we could (I am myself very willing to) wear a cool-looking-and-cycling-promoting vest with a speed limit sign! That might be a first step to assuage pedestrians' fear -and we can remind objectors that cyclists ARE pedestrians too.
I would like to respond kindly to this but it a very bad idea so can't be kind.

Bike riders are not responsible for instructing cars what the correct speed limit is. It is law enforcement and ultimately our politicians who have responsibility.

Cyclists are definitely not pedestrians just like an apple is not an orange.

Why should a cyclist want to wear a vest that doesn't fix the problem that much of the infrastructure does not serve to protect the safety of bike riders. If someone wants to wear a vest they like, go for it, but it should not be an excuse for bad road design.

flywheels wrote:2nd or concurrent step could be to make most footpaths shared-paths except identified/classified busy footpaths. Most suburban footpaths are empty, hardly ever frequented by pedestrians.
This is laughable. Shared paths can be an option in the right location but with bike infrastructure you need to to find out how to create a balanced, safe and convenient transport mix and a single solution is rarely a real solution.

flywheels wrote:3rd step is to gradually build more bike paths. Reduce climate damages. World oils run out.
You really have not put any thought into this so, if you are indeed serious you need to take the time to understand what it is that you want, understand what information is out there and whether your objectives are still realistic, if so, then formulate a logical and clever foundation to take action and encourage others.

Back to the drawing board.
Cycling is in my BNA

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:25 am

the Idaho stop
Could you imagine the outrage from the MM's with this ? :roll:

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:33 am

To answer the question. Unlikely. Successive Victorian state governments have been quite anti bike, probably only beaten by NSW governments. In general they haven't been willing to engage or consider issues that are of concern to cyclists.

Like AUbicycles I do find some of your suggestions a little odd, but others I don't. But I do agree that given the state of our infrastructure and those who use it, it is unconscionable not to allow cyclists to ride on the footpath.

Footpaths are not ideal cycling infrastructure but in many cases they are preferable and safer than the road, especially for slow moving and not confident cyclists. For fast cyclists they are often a greater risk.
AUbicycles wrote:
flywheels wrote:2nd or concurrent step could be to make most footpaths shared-paths except identified/classified busy footpaths. Most suburban footpaths are empty, hardly ever frequented by pedestrians.
This is laughable. Shared paths can be an option in the right location but with bike infrastructure you need to to find out how to create a balanced, safe and convenient transport mix and a single solution is rarely a real solution.
Except this is exactly what is done in some other states. So I wouldn't call it laughable.

I think we can agree that it isn't an ideal solution but can improve safety. And given the reality that we cycling infrastructure isn't present nor is it being rolled out rapidly everywhere, it is certainly what was chosen in South Australia.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 pm

human909 wrote:To answer the question. Unlikely. Successive Victorian state governments have been quite anti bike, probably only beaten by NSW governments. In general they haven't been willing to engage or consider issues that are of concern to cyclists.

Like AUbicycles I do find some of your suggestions a little odd, but others I don't. But I do agree that given the state of our infrastructure and those who use it, it is unconscionable not to allow cyclists to ride on the footpath.

Footpaths are not ideal cycling infrastructure but in many cases they are preferable and safer than the road, especially for slow moving and not confident cyclists. For fast cyclists they are often a greater risk.
AUbicycles wrote:
Except this is exactly what is done in some other states. So I wouldn't call it laughable.

I think we can agree that it isn't an ideal solution but can improve safety. And given the reality that we cycling infrastructure isn't present nor is it being rolled out rapidly everywhere, it is certainly what was chosen in South Australia.
Cycling infrastructure is everywhere, it is called roads. Europe doesn't have shared paths everywhere or cycleways and there are few problems for riders. The answer to improving safety is to really crack down heavily on bad driver behaviour.

At the same time, it is quite acceptable to ride through a pedestrian square on a bicycle (even an exotic racing bike) at low speeds, nobody blinks an eyelid at it, excepting those narrow laneways where riding is forbidden in some cities. Aside from that one exception, you are just an ordinary person going somewhere.

Do the same here and the sky falls down and the world ends. Or you get in a furious argument with some pedestrians who haven't got a clue.

Wearing bright yellow vests with 10km/h speed limit signs on them is a nonsense, especially when runners on foot go faster than this.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:38 pm

In complete agreement with you there. :D Especially on your first line.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:18 pm

To me, (and cycling on footpaths is allowed in SA), if you are an adult (the previous rule was had to be younger than 12 y.o. to ride on footpath) you should ride on the road.

If you don't feel safe on certain roads, choose a different route. It ain't that hard. Yes, proper infrastructure is better, but that aint a quick fix, but allowing footpaths to be used is not the answer.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:If you don't feel safe on certain roads, choose a different route. It ain't that hard.
Ain't always easy. Lets say your destination is on a four lane 80kph road that has regular accidents between steel cages. Doesn't sound like the ideal place to be riding.... I'll choose safety thanks. Explain again what are the negatives, especially when footpaths in such areas are seldom used.

Personally I ride on the road 99.99% of the time. But I recognise that not everybody is as confident or as capable cyclist.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:47 pm

human909 wrote:Footpaths are not ideal cycling infrastructure but in many cases they are preferable and safer than the road, especially for slow moving and not confident cyclists. For fast cyclists they are often a greater risk.
Human909 is coming close to the real truth: there is not one homogenous lump called "cyclists". The City of Stirling in their Cycling Strategy defines three groups of cyclist for which different designs approaches are needed:

Group A - ‘Vulnerable’ - The 12 Year Old Cyclist,
A group that includes young, inexperienced or wary cyclists, including seniors and beginners.

Group B – ‘Utility’ - The Intermediate or ‘Urban’ Cyclist
“Everyday people, in everyday clothing, on everyday bikes”.

Group C – ‘Assertive’ - The Advanced or Commuter Cyclist
Often, but not exclusively, fast, fit and Lycra clad and travelling longer distances both for travel and recreation.

Note that membership of B&C is particularly fluid: I'm B on my way to the pub/shops on the weekend, C when I'm commuting and have end of trip facilities to use.

Group A is not going to use a road outside of a quiet cul-de-sac. Group B will quite naturally use footpaths and malls. And even in Group C mode I utilise footpaths to connect between various roads. And particularly to connect between roads & cycle-specific infrastructure.

Banning cycling on footpaths was, IMHO, just another anti-cycling regulation by the cars-first crown. Along with anti-dink regulations and our favourite legislation.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

gtext

Postby gtext » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Thoglette wrote:
human909 wrote:Footpaths are not ideal cycling infrastructure but in many cases they are preferable and safer than the road, especially for slow moving and not confident cyclists. For fast cyclists they are often a greater risk.
Human909 is coming close to the real truth: there is not one homogenous lump called "cyclists". The City of Stirling in their Cycling Strategy defines three groups of cyclist for which different designs approaches are needed:

Group A - ‘Vulnerable’ - The 12 Year Old Cyclist,
A group that includes young, inexperienced or wary cyclists, including seniors and beginners.

Group B – ‘Utility’ - The Intermediate or ‘Urban’ Cyclist
“Everyday people, in everyday clothing, on everyday bikes”.

Group C – ‘Assertive’ - The Advanced or Commuter Cyclist
Often, but not exclusively, fast, fit and Lycra clad and travelling longer distances both for travel and recreation.

Note that membership of B&C is particularly fluid: I'm B on my way to the pub/shops on the weekend, C when I'm commuting and have end of trip facilities to use.

Group A is not going to use a road outside of a quiet cul-de-sac. Group B will quite naturally use footpaths and malls. And even in Group C mode I utilise footpaths to connect between various roads. And particularly to connect between roads & cycle-specific infrastructure.

Banning cycling on footpaths was, IMHO, just another anti-cycling regulation by the cars-first crown. Along with anti-dink regulations and our favourite legislation.
Have to wonder who the idiot was that decided that anyone older than 12 years old had to use the road and mix it with the cars.
Note the seriously injured girl hit by a car in Melbourne a couple of days ago.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:54 pm

gtext wrote:Have to wonder who the idiot was that decided that anyone older than 12 years old had to use the road and mix it with the cars.
Note the seriously injured girl hit by a car in Melbourne a couple of days ago.
Seconded.

My son was never confident riding on roads until he got his license. Having seen what happened to me, he probably still isn't. I'd have happily covered his fine if he ever got pinged.

flywheels

Postby flywheels » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Thank you, for all replies so far, especially those with constructive discussions. Hope to hear more from all.

Firstly, to clarify, I meant slow riders on footpaths could wear vests showing their (the riders’) speed limits.

And I meant cyclists, when not riding, are pedestrians so we know what it’s like to be pedestrians. In comparison, many/most drivers do not cycle or cannot put self in others’ shoes. Come to think of it, bobbies in the UK rode/(ride?) bikes, they treat cyclists better. Shall we lobby to have all cops here use bikes for some pedal-hours?

Lastly, the ‘I’ was just one example, so please leave off what the one ‘I’ might need or feel; solutions are to serve the multitude.

I think that we could waste time/energy/angst complaining about the drivers/governments/politicians/media, for years (here among ourselves and nobody else reads it), while more cyclists including OUR loved ones become dead or, worse, mostly dead, and while others cannot safely use bikes more;
but please let us brainstorm for solutions. And, no, I don’t think anyone should come here with ready solutions asking you to say yes or no. Our drawing board is here.

Re vests: On the 10 kph, that I didn’t come up with, I was going to ask the poster ‘what number would be better?’ but realised Hey! the very fact that xx kph is slower than runners would make the vests a very visible and widespread public EDUCATION campaign… that such riders are no monsters. Such vests could be worn by groups A and B (as in Thoglette’s post). Two speeds? Optional LED switched-on-off-able (for when you're off- and on-roads)? Trials in some bike-friendly cities (councils)?

Re foot-paths/bike-paths: The Group C who oppose to it or are a danger on footpaths, for now use the roads and we’ll keep lobbying for bike paths or shared-paths, -off roads, for starters (plus insist that all new appropriate roads have bike lanes?) YES, some are doable, not unrealistic! They have been progressed in Vic albeit slowly. Bayside…. one could commute to the city most of the way (from where farthest?) mostly on shared-paths alongside of Beach Rd etc. Frankston City has been AFAIK seeking inputs and to implement.

Re lobbying: What else, for use when campaigning? Repeated messages like “He/She needed a bike path” every time an incident happens? “Safe bike paths save petrol”? “More cycling, less oil pumping”? “Make green paths for bikes”? If anyone thinks it’s nonsense or laughable, try “If you drink and drive you’re a bloody idiot!”

Thanks again. Please continue with rational, constructive brainstorming towards solutions. Surely, collectively we’ll come up with something.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:55 pm

flywheels wrote:Thank you, for all replies so far, especially those with constructive discussions. Hope to hear more from all.

Firstly, to clarify, I meant slow riders on footpaths could wear vests showing their (the riders’) speed limits.

And I meant cyclists, when not riding, are pedestrians so we know what it’s like to be pedestrians. In comparison, many/most drivers do not cycle or cannot put self in others’ shoes. Come to think of it, bobbies in the UK rode/(ride?) bikes, they treat cyclists better. Shall we lobby to have all cops here use bikes for some pedal-hours?

Lastly, the ‘I’ was just one example, so please leave off what the one ‘I’ might need or feel; solutions are to serve the multitude.

I think that we could waste time/energy/angst complaining about the drivers/governments/politicians/media, for years (here among ourselves and nobody else reads it), while more cyclists including OUR loved ones become dead or, worse, mostly dead, and while others cannot safely use bikes more;
but please let us brainstorm for solutions. And, no, I don’t think anyone should come here with ready solutions asking you to say yes or no. Our drawing board is here.

Re vests: On the 10 kph, that I didn’t come up with, I was going to ask the poster ‘what number would be better?’ but realised Hey! the very fact that xx kph is slower than runners would make the vests a very visible and widespread public EDUCATION campaign… that such riders are no monsters. Such vests could be worn by groups A and B (as in Thoglette’s post). Two speeds? Optional LED switched-on-off-able (for when you're off- and on-roads)? Trials in some bike-friendly cities (councils)?

Re foot-paths/bike-paths: The Group C who oppose to it or are a danger on footpaths, for now use the roads and we’ll keep lobbying for bike paths or shared-paths, -off roads, for starters (plus insist that all new appropriate roads have bike lanes?) YES, some are doable, not unrealistic! They have been progressed in Vic albeit slowly. Bayside…. one could commute to the city most of the way (from where farthest?) mostly on shared-paths alongside of Beach Rd etc. Frankston City has been AFAIK seeking inputs and to implement.

Re lobbying: What else, for use when campaigning? Repeated messages like “He/She needed a bike path” every time an incident happens? “Safe bike paths save petrol”? “More cycling, less oil pumping”? “Make green paths for bikes”? If anyone thinks it’s nonsense or laughable, try “If you drink and drive you’re a bloody idiot!”

Thanks again. Please continue with rational, constructive brainstorming towards solutions. Surely, collectively we’ll come up with something.
I gave you everything you need to go forward. Driver education. Make the drivers terrified to do anything untoward around bike riders. Simple as that. Some draconian law enforcement that makes drivers become more patient, cautious and safe. And then you won't need to worry as much about footpaths, bike paths, and silly vests.

The driving behaviour in Europe is so different to here it isn't funny. I think you need to go over there and see it for yourself. Go and ride hundreds and hundreds of kilometres on roads in the cities and between them. From one to the next, on main roads and mountain roads and even in tunnels. Yes, riding in some tunnels was okay, no problem. And there was no other way, that's the route.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:The driving behaviour in Europe is so different to here it isn't funny.
Ditto Japan, by all reports.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:37 am

Thoglette wrote:
g-boaf wrote:The driving behaviour in Europe is so different to here it isn't funny.
Ditto Japan, by all reports.
Totally correct re Japan, they ride on footpaths and roads with no issues

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:24 am

Japan was a real eye opener, to show how it can be done so easily, and everyone just gets along. And in such densely populated areas too.

I think riding on footpaths is a much safer option even for older teenagers. I don't know about you, but I work around teenagers, and 12-14 is still so young. There's no way I'd want them riding on the road when they're only half aware of all the road rules because they haven't been anywhere near a driver's license yet.

I'm glad WA legalised riding on footpaths for all ages. I commute on road and PSP, and ride on roads, but it's nice to legally be able to hop onto a footpath for some narrow busy roads. That way I'm not holding up traffic, and I'm lowering my risk of becoming a statistic. Then it's back onto the road when safer.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Mububban wrote:Japan was a real eye opener, to show how it can be done so easily, and everyone just gets along. And in such densely populated areas too.
Not that I've been there, or really know much about Japan, but it seems that courtesy and respect are valued in their society. I think this is the significant difference.

The European model is possibly somewhat different, but whatever it is there - years of conditioning that cycling is 'normal' and it could be anybody on the road in front of you probably.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:37 pm

bychosis wrote: Not that I've been there, or really know much about Japan, but it seems that courtesy and respect are valued in their society. I think this is the significant difference.

The European model is possibly somewhat different, but whatever it is there - years of conditioning that cycling is 'normal' and it could be anybody on the road in front of you probably.
Absolutely. As I've said before, I only saw one group of 6 riders in lycra on road bikes in my week there. Every single other rider was dressed in normal clothing, riding a basic bike for transport, not sport as such.
Everything from kids on 20 inch bikes (the only ones wearing helmets apart from those lycra-clad roadies), to mums with 2 kids on the e-bike, to an ~80 year old guy on his trusty old single speed. It was all so wonderfully normal.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:13 am

Japan has strict liability laws also.. run over a cyclist or pedestrian you better have some good explanation.

Seen plenty of Lycra over in Japan but tends to be out the cities, particularly where it gets hilly.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 am

Plenty of Japanese cyclists wearing lycra, its just that they tend to look more like this :D

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:29 am

The idea with the vests has come up again @flywheels and a perspective could be that you are convinced that this is a good idea and potentially have, or are willing to develop the technology.

But the way it is described, I don’t see the problem it is solving. A driver is not interested in a bike riders speed when they are on the footpath. They are generally not interested in the rider speed except with relation to them... ie the rider is slow, constant, fast.

When it comes to being active and making a difference, the most effect approaches for me have been through this site which provided a platform and information. The other is directly working with local councils and being a part of steering committees or as a cycling expert or community cycling representative. And also letter writing, very targeted letters about specific danger zones and ensuring that I have identified the right recipient.

Alone I can’t change footpath laws or helmet laws and not even the big cycling rep bodies can do any of this easily. It is a slow and ongoing task to get improvements and I feel a combination of factors /efforts contributes to then actually succeeding, even if individuals or single bodies like to claim sole responsibility for progressive improvements.
Cycling is in my BNA

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:03 am

AUbicycles wrote:The idea with the vests has come up again @flywheels and a perspective could be that you are convinced that this is a good idea and potentially have, or are willing to develop the technology.

But the way it is described, I don’t see the problem it is solving.
Worse, vests would re-enforce that cycling is "not normal" and somehow "dangerous". We have over a century of experience showing this is not so. Vests, like helmets, will further encourage victim blaming by negligent drivers and the shock-jocks

Any mandatory wearing of anything is doomed to be counter productive.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:39 am

I have been involved in work health and safety for many years, which leads me to believe that a proper risk assessment is vital, both of the current situation & what you are considering. A risk assessment needs to be evidence based. In terms of controlling that risk, the hierarchy of controls is an excellent way to analyse the effectiveness of proposed measures, ie
  1. Elimination - it is unlikely we will eliminate cars any time soon
  2. Substitution - more people on their feet, bikes, buses & trains all contributes
  3. Engineering controls - eg keep the cars confined
  4. Administrative controls - road rules, enforcement etc
  5. Personal protective equipment
It used to be that it was very rare for a person to be killed by a motor vehicle when they were on a footpath. Most pedestrian fatalities were when the person was trying to cross a road and they were drunk or elderly. That has changed in he last decade.

The most common place for a cyclist to be injured is at intersections. The biggest danger with many footpaths is that every single driveway is an uncontrolled intersection. Every week in Australia a child is killed by their own parents in the driveway at home. The biggest cause of injury for Australia Post motorcycle delivery riders is not the road but when they are legally riding on the footpath at less than 15 km/h. Service stations are particularly bad, business premises are not much better.

flywheels

Postby flywheels » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Thank you, @AUbicycles, human99, gtext, Thoglette, Mububban, find_bruce, and several others, for your helpful replies.

No, I’m not convinced about the ideas, I am consulting.
I am convinced of progressing ways that will work, even if gradually -through both education and law.

This is not any individual’s task. And I have zero need or interest for any credit or gain from it (apart from riding safety, for family and others too). I’m hoping for some collective voice within and beyond this forum and some effective persons or means to take matters forward, exactly as @AUbilycles described. I do know generally how; but from my first post I have been seeking cyclist-specific views.

I appreciate although disagree with the standpoint that a partial solution would necessarily stall the final goal. The first can lead to the second, or even is necessary for the second, even if and especially as an educational campaign.
  • (Re vests, I did not mean for the roads !, and not for drivers to see; I’ll post separately.)
Conversely, IMO, if we insist on holding out for only the ultimate goal which may or may not happen in a hundred years, then how many more tragedies? And how many cyclists-to-be are hindered?

Re footpaths/shared-paths:
  • Most other States allow it. Are the objecting members saying that those States are all wrong?
    (I understand that some oppose, some agree –as have been for seatbelts, PFDs. PPDs including the h.)
    This one, I do believe that we ought to lobby specifically for, now.
    To succeed I think we need to remove objections; one is pedestrians’ fear.
    Therefore my proposal about allowing Group B (see gtext's post), first.
    Group B does not mean just novices. Adults choosing on principle not to run private cars are in this group, as are other Group C who also prefer to occasionally avoid certain sections of the roads –as human99 said, and anyone else I can’t remember.
Your inputs please?

And I quote human99 who expressed it better than I can for footpaths:
given the state of our infrastructure and those who use it, it is unconscionable not to allow cyclists to ride on the footpath.
and
it isn't an ideal solution but can improve safety. And given the reality that we cycling infrastructure isn't present nor is it being rolled out rapidly everywhere, it is certainly what was chosen in South Australia.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:10 am

It is widely acknowledged that improved cyclist safety is the responsibility of the government (primarily state).

It us also widely accepted that two things are required to dramatically improve bike rider safety:
- better infrastructure
- more education

In both of these most (all?) responsible government entities are not meeting their responsibility. When budgets for bike infrastructure is ridiculously low, bike riders are ignored in new infrastructure projects and the governments support their political agenda with incorrect or misleading information - direct action by individual or groups of riders will only have limited effectiveness when the government is working against them.

I highly recommend looking at the mission statements (etc) of the state cycling advocacy groups, some strong local BUGs and other bodies to get a feel for the approach - many have been working for decades so have a lot of experience that you can tap into.
Cycling is in my BNA