Cycling Curfew ... A Matter of Common Sense [Apparently]

dmwill

Re: Cycling Curfew ... A Matter of Common Sense [Apparently]

Postby dmwill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Frank is a serial pest who regularly writes these letters to local papers.

FWIW, he lives on a road fronting the river where hundreds of cyclists pass every week (Source: Whitepages).

We all ring our bells for Frank when we pass his house.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:33 pm

dmwill wrote:We all ring our bells for Frank when we pass his house.
We should organise a weekly ride that begins at 5am outside his residence. See if we can help him bring in the new day.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

shintemaster

Postby shintemaster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:45 pm

dmwill wrote:We all ring our bells for Frank when we pass his house.
:D

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me about a train line that ran past the local Fire Brigade many decades back. Apparently the Fireies would sometimes get a bit wound up about the train drivers waking them up on shift with their mandatory horn soundings. One day one of them lost it and went off at a driver.

Afterwards all of the drivers were very conscientious about ensuring that their horn sounds were loud, clear and consistent in length.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 pm

(post was for the wrong thread)
Last edited by Scott_C on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Opened up this week's edition of the local independent newspaper, i.e., not a News Corporation publication, the Fremantle Herald and surprise surprise Mr Granger's letter has been published in the paper as well. I wonder how many papers Mr Granger sends the same letter to. If you by chance spot a copy elsewhere please let me know; two can play this game :)

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:44 pm

dmwill wrote: FWIW, he lives on a road fronting the river where hundreds of cyclists pass every week (Source: Whitepages).

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but that sort of thing isn't helpful IMHO.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Well this weeks edition of the Fremantle Gazette [a News Corporation masthead] is out and my response to Mr Granger was not published, instead the only letter published by Ms Denise S Cahill, Editor is one by, you guessed it Mr Frank Granger of Applecross. At least it was not cyclists coping a spray this week, instead Mr Granger was in a positive mood over stadium sponsorship.

I wonder if my response to Ms Cahill a couple of weeks earlier has resulted in my "ban" from the Fremantle Gazette :)
It is very disappointing that Ms Cahill has not bothered to address her understanding of the Western Australia Road Traffic Code before she felt it necessary to comment. I hope Ms Cahill takes appropriate steps to get informed before driving a motor vehicle again.

I am referring here on her comment “to give way to the right out roundabouts.” To my knowledge there is no such rule in the Road Traffic Code 2000 [latest version is dated November 1, 2017] [1]. The relevant part of the subsidiary legislation is Part 9 Roundabouts. I suggest a read of same . That said I draw your attention in particular to regulation 95. Right of way in a roundabout which is the actual regulation you should be familiar with. It states, “A driver entering a roundabout shall give way to a vehicle that is within the roundabout.”, not to your right, but to vehicle[s] in the roundabout. A significant and important distinction.

That all said as person who chooses to ride a bicycle [and oh drive a motor vehicle] the most dangerous intersection type I encounter in my riding is a roundabout. In particular the MGIF [Must Get In Front] as I approach the roundabout attitude prevalent in our driving community and secondly the failure to actually act in accordance with regulation 95. It got so bad with one particular roundabout on my daily commute where the risk of injury or worse was so extreme that I ended up fitting cameras to my bike and reporting the worse of the offending drivers. Thankfully this was one area of driver behaviour the WA Police actually acted on and fined the drivers.

Regretfully it does not change the behaviour of other drivers and no I didn’t have a realistic alternative route option, not that should matter. It is NOT HARD to drive your motor vehicle responsibly and safely and with due care to others.

So Ms Cahill, no I don’t need to change my behaviour as I don’t endanger motor vehicle operators, they endanger me. Your comment on people riding bicycles putting motorists at risk is simply not supported by facts.

As to your other comments about cyclists behaviour. Lets focus on just one point: In the past 12 months according to BITRE [September 2017] [2] data 31 cyclists, 160 pedestrians and 1,046 motor vehicle occupants [including 226 motorcyclists] where killed on Australian roads. To my knowledge not one pedestrian, driver, passenger or motorcyclist was killed in that period by a person riding a bicycle, yet the research and past commentary by senior police officers indicates that approximately 80% of incidents involving people riding bicycles where the fault of motorists.

Sadly in the last few days we have been reminded of this with the hit and run of 13 year old girl riding a bicycle.

So no Ms Cahill, my behaviour as a cyclist does not have to change to justify the introduction of safe passing laws. I suggest instead you reflect very carefully on where the significant problem lies; who is doing the killing of those 1,046 people? Who is destroying families? Finally and most importantly your own values.

My choice, anyone’s choice of transport should have no bearing whatsoever on your attitude towards them. They are people Ms Cahill, mums, dads, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters. They have as much right to get home to the families safe and sound as you do.

I hope you reflect carefully on this going forward and I hope in future that the Community Newspaper Group ensures “Our Opinions” are factually based.

Andrew ...

[1] https://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/file ... penElement
[2] https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... 17_rev.pdf
My unpublished final letter was ...
Dear Editor

I am writing in reply to Mr Frank Granger, “Cycle Curfew”, Fremantle Gazette, November 14, 2017. The writer’s claim that most accidents [actually crashes not accidents] usually happen early morning or late afternoon caught my attention so I did a fact check. Referring to the Australian Roads Death Database, 252 cyclist fatalities are listed for the period 2011-2017. Assuming for the simplicity sake the hours of daylight are between 7:00 AM and 6:00 PM, I note that 70 deaths occurred during the hours of darkness and 182 during daylight hours. Whoops, it seems that most crashes actually occur during the day.

Of greater concern however is that during that same period there were 8,412 deaths on our roads of which 253 where cyclists. It seems to me Mr Granger needs to rethink his priorities and to reflect on where the real issue lies.

We can of course then go into the data analysis [well published] showing where the highest risk is to bicycle riders and that is I am afraid the motorist [~80% of bicycle rider fatalities are the fault of motorists].

So, no Mr Granger your curfew is not a solution. I suggest rather that you might want to start with respecting all road users, irrespective of their choice of transport. After all it comes down to common sense, care and courtesy.

Andrew ...
Bicycle Rider and Motor Vehicle Operator
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 am

dmwill wrote:Frank is a serial pest who regularly writes these letters to local papers.

FWIW, he lives on a road fronting the river where hundreds of cyclists pass every week (Source: Whitepages).

AirZounds would be better, bells might not be loud enough! :lol:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:36 am

A small win so to speak. The Fremantle Herald published my letter with the byline "Spinning a Yarn." Rather good I thought :)

BJL

Postby BJL » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:19 am

^

C'mon Aushiker, you know better than that. Correcting ignorant fools with facts usually only makes them more angry. On the bright side, the Fremantle Herald probably won't be able to read Frank's next letter as it will be soggy and the words smudged from all the froth coming out his mouth as he writes it. :lol:

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:02 pm

trailgumby wrote:Serial complainer.
There's one in every local rag! Makes you wonder how they manage to get published nearly every week? Nepotism? Or writing so many complaints each week that one of them invariably gets published?
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:05 pm

tcdev wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Serial complainer.
There's one in every local rag! Makes you wonder how they manage to get published nearly every week? Nepotism? Or writing so many complaints each week that one of them invariably gets published?
I've been a "serial responder" and it's quite easy to get published if you are mildly sarcastic and/or witty in the way you make your point. There is an art to it, but it's not that hard to do.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 pm

trailgumby wrote:I've been a "serial responder" and it's quite easy to get published if you are mildly sarcastic and/or witty in the way you make your point. There is an art to it, but it's not that hard to do.
I recently posted a short rant that was not only completely void of sarcasm or wit, but actually included !(AT)#$% on my local rag's Facebook page. Much to my embarrassment it was reprinted in the paper itself the following week, with full attribution to me. :oops:
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:18 pm

2021 Giant Contend AR1

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:A small win so to speak. The Fremantle Herald published my letter with the byline "Spinning a Yarn." Rather good I thought :)
Well done. More likely to get eyes on print of a weekend, so probably a better outcome. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the heads-up and well done to Shannon for making the Opinion page. A check of the full paper shows my letter from a couple of weeks ago made the paper this week so two responses to Mr Granger now published.

I must admit I do like Shannon's style ... :)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:53 pm

Andrew, you need to check your facts:
.. 252 cyclist fatalities are listed for the period 2011-2017.
... during that same period there were 8,412 deaths on our roads of which 253 were cyclists.

Was it 252 or 253? Sadly, the correct answer is too many.

Thank you for your letters, I enjoyed reading them.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:Anything else to add?
Actually something did occur to me just now. Using Frank's logic, someone should analyse the accident data for motorists, determine the most 'dangerous' part of the day, and impose a curfew around those hours! Surely, given that significantly more motorists are killed than cyclists, this would be more effective - and hence more urgent - in reducing the road toll?
2021 Giant Contend AR1