Recreational Cycling Club - Organisers at Risk?

chucknitro

Recreational Cycling Club - Organisers at Risk?

Postby chucknitro » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 pm

I am a member of an incorporated club in Victoria. Due to a drop off in numbers and lack of interest from existing members in taking on the required roles (secretary/treasurer/committee) we are looking at becoming unincorporated. A significant cost is Public Liability insurance for Public Officers.

How do clubs minimise the risk to ride organisers? A couple of options seem to be available:
- Affiliate with an umbrella organisation Cycling Australia/Bicycle Network, etc
- Not affilaite but require every member to insured with one of those groups

Any other/better options?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

human909

Re: Recreational Cycling Club - Organisers at Risk?

Postby human909 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 am

chucknitro wrote:we are looking at becoming unincorporated
In many scenarios that seems that most straight forward approach given our legal system. I'm a member of similar organisations and the impositions of regulations and insurance make many community organisations untenable. It really is sad.

Alternatives are simply a collection of friends and like minded people with a regular meeting spot or communication method. Want to make it more public? Give yourself a name and have a website, but don't have an organisational structure.

The questions that need to be asked:
-What benefits is a formal organisation structure bringing...
-What are the costs....

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:25 am

Most of the group rides that I see and take part in have a "ride at your own risk" policy. Could you do that?

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:29 am

You could always join another club for licensing/insurance purposes. Do you have another club nearby?
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm

RobertL wrote:Most of the group rides that I see and take part in have a "ride at your own risk" policy. Could you do that?
No. A "ride at your own risk" policy doesn't remove the liability risk.
macca33 wrote:You could always join another club for licensing/insurance purposes. Do you have another club nearby?
That doesn't cover the public liability for being a Public Officer.
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Facts ... fficer.pdf

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:30 pm

No magic bullet....:(

I was hoping to hide the club behind "No structure, Ride at your own risk" but nothing I can find says the organisers will be safe from all liability.

There must be a lot of clubs/groups with their fingers crossed, or in ignorance.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:36 pm

chucknitro wrote:No magic bullet....:(
Yes. Everything from cycling clubs to netball teams are affected by the escalating liability risk and red tape surrounding community organisations. When you need food handling certifications to run a community bbq you know something isn't working.
chucknitro wrote:There must be a lot of clubs/groups with their fingers crossed, or in ignorance.
Yep.... Guess how life is for community groups that are involved in rock climbing. :shock:
(Rock climbing is my main recreation/sporting pastime.)

It really is sad when our government is so busy putting up barriers to community as opposed to commercial organisations. Sure get a bunch of mates together and got nuts and have fun. Want to make it open to a broader community and have a organised structure and the hoops to jump through become huge.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:42 am

The Magic Solution is becoming part of another club or sporting group that offers the assurances you need.

It could be another bicycle club or a general sporting club and requires a bit of initiative. It can affect the constitution and some formalities but can generally be fairly easy once setup.
Cycling is in my BNA

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:35 am

It's a reason why there's now so many groups have formed from social media such as Facebook, someone just suggests a ride and meeting place, no club structure needed and ride at own risk...no formal meetings, no office holders needed...just people getting together and theres just so many out there now and it's attracting those who in the past might've been interested in the club scenario. There's also groups like Meet-Up which covers such a wide variety of interests....still no officer bearers needed...it's the way of the times since everyone has the computer in the pocket these days.
It's also the reason why many of the traditional Bicycle User Groups have diminished or have had most members drop off as theres just so much out there now in social media land doing the same thing minus the advocacy which doesn't sit well with many people.

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 am

In thinking about risk, consider the risk of being sued, regardless of the outcome. Most people do not appreciate the time, emotional and financial cost of being involved in litigation, regardless of the outcome.

Part of the upside for organisations such as Audax that have insurance for riders as part of their membership is that it reduces the risk of being sued at all when you don't need to prove negligence etc to receive some benefit.

DonQx

Postby DonQx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:09 am

AFAIK the Civil Liability Acts in each state provide quite extensive protection for volunteers.
A good summary of issues for NSW here: https://www.cbp.com.au/insights/insight ... t-2002-(ns.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can point me in the direction of a case where a volunteer got into legal trouble. I've been to a number of workshops for volunteer organisations where lawyers have spoken about how important it is to protect oneself even as volunteer. But every time I asked questions about the protections provided by these acts they umm'd and aaah'd and couldn't come up with any cases where a volunteer got into trouble.
find_bruce's comment about the hassles if someone tries to personally take it out on you are worthwhile to consider though.