Explaining the need to "own the lane"

ColinOldnCranky

Explaining the need to "own the lane"

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:16 am

For those wanting to make the argument to ignorant or understanding non-cyclists I paste, as a start, a post from my Facebook on a video that taken up by the West Australian today.
To those who complain about cyclists riding well away from the edge of the road, or ride two abreast ("owing the lane"), this video demonstrates why.

These three riders DID ride right on the white fog line.

What this does is tempts many drivers (only the bad ones, are you one of those?) into squeeeeezing between the cyclists and oncoming traffic.

On the other hand if a cyclist moves out a metre or so, the driver cannot even contemplate that squeeze. They can ONLY get past the cyclist if there is NO other car coming to wards them in which case they cross well over the line or well into the next lane.

You will see that the driver only very marginally crossed the middle line, presumable as vision of oncoming traffic was either insufficient or there was indeed a car approaching. Those riders meawhile had a truck that was, maybee, 40cm to the right of their handlebars. Further the riders were subject to the usual considerable turbulence that can make it difficult to maintain their line AND the 46 wheeler had a second trailer that, from time to time, can fail to exactly track the prime mover or the forward trailer.

So while these riders rode in teh way that so many drivers insist they should, the outcome was serious risk to themselves.

There is a reason that cyclists do and should "own the lane". BECAUSE TO DO OTHERWISE CAN COST THEM THEIR LIFE!

Video is at https://thewest.com.au/news/traffic/wat ... b88702035z
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

brumby33

Re: Explaining the need to "own the lane"

Postby brumby33 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:04 am

Yeah scary stuff, that truck was a rigid-dog trailer set up and i reckon they are the scariest as the dog trailer tends to sway somewhat more than a semi-trailer set-up.
I had a close call some years ago on a NSW Big ride when i was riding 2 abreast talking to another rider and this truck n dog just missed me by millimetres.....if you get one of those sharp trailer lips that stick out from the sides and acts as a kind of mudguard of sorts hit you, they would tear your body up like a potato chip packet....they even scare the heck out of me when i'm driving a bus as if the same portion of that dog trailer makes contact with my bus, it'd tear the sides out of it so a cyclist would stand absolutely no chance in hell even if just nicked by it.
That one on the big ride i reckon was done on purpose as there were lots of riders on that road and that clown was going way too fast to be safe for anyone, unfortunately none of the 4 motorcycle cops seen it but i did report it to one only a minute or two after.....the bike cop took off but i don't think he caught him otherwise if i had seen that i would've stopped to have a piece of that bloke myself.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 am

I explained all this to my brother in law once when he was whinging about it. He ended up saying yes that makes sense. Then he was on about it again the next time I saw him. Waste of time and effort :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:00 pm

Would you really 'take the lane' on a tight highway with no shoulder? Cause I sure as hell wouldn't. In town in a 40-50 zone sure, but seems like madness on an open highway.

Maybe if you were in a big group and it was a 80/90 road and you knew it was only for a short bit, but as solo or a group of 2 - 3 on a 100 road with semis on it you'd have to be nuts.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:48 pm

andrewjcw wrote:Would you really 'take the lane' on a tight highway with no shoulder? Cause I sure as hell wouldn't. In town in a 40-50 zone sure, but seems like madness on an open highway.

Maybe if you were in a big group and it was a 80/90 road and you knew it was only for a short bit, but as solo or a group of 2 - 3 on a 100 road with semis on it you'd have to be nuts.
Sometimes you've got to claim the lane regardless. You cannot ride too close to the broken edge of a road, it is just tempting disaster.

One of the roads I regularly ride is like that and has a 70km/h speed limit that is considered little more than a joke, most drivers do 90km/h or more. I ride well out from the edge of the road so as to keep room to swerve in case someone does pass very closely.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 pm

andrewjcw wrote:Would you really 'take the lane' on a tight highway with no shoulder? Cause I sure as hell wouldn't. In town in a 40-50 zone sure, but seems like madness on an open highway.
Only because there's drivers who think that driving at the speed limit must be safe, regardless of their inability to see what's ahead of them. :(

Same idiots who drive into broken down cars, farmers' tractors and semitrailers crossing the road.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 am

Yes I ride well out when there is no shoulder. A section of road I rode on this morning is 100kph and if you ride along the edge of the tar you are guaranteed to get a close pass. What I tend to do is ride close to the centre of the lane if there is oncoming traffic, otherwise I stay on the edge of the left wheel track. Most drivers have no problem getting around me, it's only the ass hats that give you grief.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:29 am

When I have to ride on a road in a small group or alone with trucks I tend to ride a bit out and then as the truck is just about to pass (sensed using good ears and spidey sense) I come back to the edge by about 0.5m giving me at least a metre gap.

Scariest thing that happened though was in the 3 Dams ride 2 years ago when riding with my girlfriend along Albany Highway - road train pulling into the road train assembly area just as we were coming up to the entrance basically just acted like we wern't there an "shut the door" on us... the trailer was all of 20cm from my shoulder and we were both about 5 seconds from throwing ourselves and bikes over the kerb and into the bush when the end of the last trailer went past. Scary as hell!

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 am

Worst one I've had a group of us were nearing the top of a long climb on a rural road with no shoulder. A log truck passed us and he didn't change his line one bit. If you have ever seen a log truck you'll know that from the prime mover back they are basically just a long beam with wheels attached and a series of U shaped frames that hold the logs. Having the bottom corner of one of those frames breeze past your shoulder at close to 100kph is fairly exciting. "Bit close" one of the guys said, "I could have reached into his glove box and checked his log book".
- Me

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:35 pm

I do not and will not claim the lane on 100kmh roads.
Left wheel track is it for me.
There are so many distracted and otherwise incompetent drivers, who dont expect, or aren't looking for cyclists, claiming the lane is verging on suicidal at highway speeds imo.
On top of that the sense of outrage will prompt a deliberate close pass.
A weave or wiggle when the car is further back makes you less predictable and is a safer way of achieving more room imo.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 pm

For my mind claiming the lane is equivalent to riding in the left wheel track.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:50 pm

If you're going to fill the cycling lanes with cars I'll ride right in the middle of the road with pleasure and free liberty. That way you can't squeeze past me in your car and run me off the road into a car at the same time. Until they put yellow lines across all the cycling lanes where I live I will continue to do it.

I do not and will not claim a lane at 80 or 100km/hr but if the speed limit is 60 or below I will claim the middle of the lane. It is safer for both me and the car driver to claim the centre of the lane. If anyone doesn't understand they can beep and honk all they like... I aint moving. If you run me over I will charge you.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:43 am

I've started doing the "incompetent wobble" on fast roads now. It works a treat. The ass hats realise they can't pass too close because you may "wobble" in front of them and that will throw their calculations on how close they can go out of whack, and they may hit you, damaging their car.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 am

Trevtassie wrote: that will throw their calculations on how close they can go out of whack, and they may hit you, damaging their car.
And that there is the mind of the average driver I fear, their concern over the wellbeing of their car is paramount. Just think how many times you have seen people comment about bike riders leaning on their cars, the "how dare he touch my property" line is common.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:19 am

Trevtassie wrote:I've started doing the "incompetent wobble" on fast roads now. It works a treat. The ass hats realise they can't pass too close because you may "wobble" in front of them and that will throw their calculations on how close they can go out of whack, and they may hit you, damaging their car.
Perfect summation 8)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:50 pm

silentC wrote:I explained all this to my brother in law once when he was whinging about it. He ended up saying yes that makes sense. Then he was on about it again the next time I saw him. Waste of time and effort :)
The law can be changed in that relationship :D
Kronos wrote:If you run me over I will charge you.
Charges don't always stick for a conviction, even when you're dead.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... b4dedd27cc

$500 fine is another option. Pretty good risk/reward value to drivers over the $400 for new minimum passing distance.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/cai ... ac9abcf028

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:06 pm

eldavo wrote:
silentC wrote:I explained all this to my brother in law once when he was whinging about it. He ended up saying yes that makes sense. Then he was on about it again the next time I saw him. Waste of time and effort :)
The law can be changed in that relationship :D
Kronos wrote:If you run me over I will charge you.
Charges don't always stick for a conviction, even when you're dead.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... b4dedd27cc

$500 fine is another option. Pretty good risk/reward value to drivers over the $400 for new minimum passing distance.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/cai ... ac9abcf028
Yeah I wouldn't ride on the streets in Brisbane if you payed me to. I used to live in Annerley, there's a train bridge and an underpass as you come in to Annerley where a truck tipped over and squashed a rider. There was nothing left to identify them except their ID card. It's kamikaze at the best of times riding where I live. Thankfully there are lots of good off road dedicated cycling paths in Brisbane these days though.

As to the subject of riding however if you're going to use the cycling lanes to park your car, boat trailer, camper van or 4WD... Well... It's better to run the risk of being rear ended than playing ping pong off a car door and then going under the wheels of the car trying to pass you. A friend of a friend did that on a scooter in Thailand about 2months ago. She was lucky... She only lost a leg, she didn't lose her life.

If you're going to honk me for trying to ride safely I'm just going to give you the middle finger salute. My excuse for owning the whole lane is self evident on the basis of the above. I would rather own the whole lane than the quarter you think you can squeeze past me. This isn't a bunch sprint in a Grand Tour where riding shoulder to shoulder is ethical, its a road we all have the right to share.
Last edited by Kronos on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Kronos wrote:If you're going to fill the cycling lanes with cars I'll ride right in the middle of the road with pleasure and free liberty. That way you can't squeeze past me in your car and run me off the road into a car at the same time. Until they put yellow lines across all the cycling lanes where I live I will continue to do it.
This, if the lane has parked cars in it, I'm not riding there. I got abused by some idiot in an oversized car (SUV) recently. He asked why I wasn't riding in the bike lane. I said I couldn't see a bike lane, only a car park. Those things should be banned.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 am

Yes... Off street parking should be built into town planning.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Kronos wrote:Yes... Off street parking should be built into town planning.
The things we could achieve in a Utopia after dispensing with private interests and corporate/government corruption.