Police warn cyclists ahead of TDU

warthog1

Police warn cyclists ahead of TDU

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:54 pm

In Adelaide for a couple of days and the Tour down under is coming up.
Watching the nightly news and one of the first stories was of a police spokesman warning that all police have been instructed to pay particlar attention to cyclists.
Que pictures of bunches and a spiel about helmet safety, along woth stern words for those dusting off the lycra and trying to emulate their heroes.
Meanwhile drivers are instructed to give room and obey the 1 metre rule. But "we aren't going to be cm perfect here. As long as drivers make an attempt to give room"
:x :roll:

We truly are a moronic country.
Focus on the vulnerable and excuse those recklessly endangering them.
Situation normal in Oz.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CKinnard

Re: Police warn cyclists ahead of TDU

Postby CKinnard » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 pm

As I've said elsewhere, I really want to hear Australian law makers and enforcers explain why European bicycle laws are inferior to ours.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:55 pm

warthog1 wrote:In Adelaide for a couple of days and the Tour down under is coming up.
Watching the nightly news and one of the first stories was of a police spokesman warning that all police have been instructed to pay particlar attention to cyclists.
Que pictures of bunches and a spiel about helmet safety, along woth stern words for those dusting off the lycra and trying to emulate their heroes.
Meanwhile drivers are instructed to give room and obey the 1 metre rule. But "we aren't going to be cm perfect here. As long as drivers make an attempt to give room"
:x :roll:

We truly are a moronic country.
Focus on the vulnerable and excuse those recklessly endangering them.
Situation normal in Oz.
It drives me mad. Focus should be on those in big, heavy steel cages and force them to take care. If they don't, throw the book at them with zero tolerance. Then they'll all start behaving.

I hate riding on the road out here, I trust no drivers at all. I really miss riding in Europe, because I knew I could ride wherever I wanted, taking any road I liked pretty much and I knew I'd be treated with care and respect. The truck drivers, the bus drivers car drivers, they were all absolutely brilliant around us riders. It should be noted we were on road bikes and had helmets (which was required), so that obviously isn't the reason. I dreaded it when I came back here.
CKinnard wrote:As I've said elsewhere, I really want to hear Australian law makers and enforcers explain why European bicycle laws are inferior to ours.
They (the senior departmental policy people) can't because they are idiots and they are beholden to politicians who are scared of radio shock-jocks and newspaper opinion writers. You have no idea how much fear these media people can strike into politicians. These media types are the ones in power.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:23 pm

I don't think the laws are the issue. I think two big issues are culture and - relatedly - enforcement. People behave in ways that are criminal, if not downright sociopathic, and the police won't do anything. Note I said "won't", not "can't".

Whether European cycling laws are any better is a moot point to me. European attitudes are incomparably better.

It wouldn't hurt if the police around here left interpreting laws to the courts either, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm

high_tea wrote:It wouldn't hurt if the police around here left interpreting laws to the courts either...
That won't help much. Our court system has demonstrated on numerous, frequent occasions that it is inadequate and far too lenient. Yes, better police enforcement of motoring offences (particularly those that endanger the more vulnerable road users) would be good, but we also need better enforcement of the laws by judges, and the laws also need improvement (strict liability, anyone?).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:and the laws also need improvement (strict liability, anyone?).
Even cyclists around this forum won't accept or support strict liability. Last time it was suggested there was an uproar about it.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
high_tea wrote:It wouldn't hurt if the police around here left interpreting laws to the courts either...
...we also need better enforcement of the laws by judges, and the laws also need improvement (strict liability, anyone?).
Neither of which matters a rip if the police continue not putting matters before the courts based on incorrect interpretations. Hence my point.

I certainly think that the law could do with improvement. In particular, I think that the way that the mistake defence works for dangerous driving is nuts and that strict criminal liability could work. These are incremental improvements, though. Better enforcement would help more. There is no doubt in my mind of that.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:18 pm

high_tea wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:
...we also need better enforcement of the laws by judges, and the laws also need improvement (strict liability, anyone?).
Neither of which matters a rip if the police continue not putting matters before the courts based on incorrect interpretations. Hence my point.

I certainly think that the law could do with improvement. In particular, I think that the way that the mistake defence works for dangerous driving is nuts and that strict criminal liability could work. These are incremental improvements, though. Better enforcement would help more. There is no doubt in my mind of that.
Which is why part of my post said "better police enforcement... would be good". I was agreeing with you, but just pointing out that better police enforcement is only one of the changes we need.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:51 pm

I guess old mate European based riders in Adelaide should be glad the local law don’t enforce everything aye??

http://road.cc/content/news/235249-new- ... r-team-sky

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Red lights, peds, weaving around and my favourite.....ignoring road signage cos it don’t make sense and I know better :lol: :lol:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm

fat and old wrote:I guess old mate European based riders in Adelaide should be glad the local law don’t enforce everything aye??

http://road.cc/content/news/235249-new- ... r-team-sky

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Red lights, peds, weaving around and my favourite.....ignoring road signage cos it don’t make sense and I know better :lol: :lol:
The Team Sky riders all had TUEs for breaking all those road rules. :lol:

PA

Postby PA » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 pm

The Police officer in the unmarked car who roared past me this morning before pulling into a parking spot should be read some road rules.
Mouse magnet