Did you know - Australian Bicycle Council has ceased operating

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you know - Australian Bicycle Council has ceased operating

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:45 am

The Australian Bicycle Council has gone through a number of different phases during its existence.

The role was:
- To oversee and coordinate the implementation of the Australian National Cycling Strategy.
- provide a forum for the sharing of information between stakeholders involved in the implementation of the strategy.
- maintain a repository of information and resources to promote increased cycling in Australia.

The ABC reported annually to the Transport and Infrastructure Council, through Austroads and the Transport and Infrastructure Senior Officials’ Committee (TISOC), on the implementation of the Australian National Cycling Strategy.

---

The Australian Bicycle Council has been a good resource for reports and documentation on infrastructure design and studies.

In December 22, with about 1 weeks notice a public announcement was made as follows.

Important Announcement from the Australian Bicycle Council

The Australian Bicycle Council is ceasing operation in its current form at the end of 2017 and will be replaced by a new group called Cycling and Walking Australia and New Zealand (CWANZ). This group will commence in May 2018 and will include membership from state/territory/NZ government agencies, local government and advocacy groups. Click here for more details on the background and the planned way forward.

In summary the following key points are of interest:
• The ABC will formally ceased as of 22 December 2017, with the Secretariat role concluding.
• The ABC website will no longer be updated after 22 December and wording will be added to the front page advising of changes with a link to the new brochure.
• Agreement in Principle for the new group has been achieved across each state/territory/NZ and formal agreements will be in place by the end of January 2018.
• The new group will be strategically focused.
• The initial focus will be on cycling, before an expansion to include walking is undertaken after the second year.
• Craig Wooldridge (A/Executive Director Integrated Transport Planning, Department of Transport Western Australia) will Chair the group for the first two years.
• The recruitment activities for a new Secretariat that will be based in Perth for the first two years will commence in late January/early February.
• CWANZ email addresses will be set up for the Chair and Secretariat in February 2018.
• An expression of interest process for local government and advocacy group members will commence in late February 2018.
• The first meeting of the new group will be on 16 May 2018 in Melbourne.

This is a positive step forward and we are looking forward to delivering tangible outcomes for cycling and walking in the coming years. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact Craig Wooldridge via email at craig.wooldridge@transport.wa.gov.au or by phone on 08 6551 6082.

Thanks for your support over many years and we look forward to a new beginning in 2018.

Regards,

Tony Arnold
Executive Officer
Australian Bicycle Council
Cycling is in my BNA

Scott_C

Re: Did you know - Australian Bicycle Council has ceased operating

Postby Scott_C » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Expression of Interest Forms for Local Government and Advocacy Groups to join CWANZ have been published on the WA Department of Transport website alongside an information sheet. 5 Advocacy Groups representatives and 3 Local Government representatives will be selected to join CWANZ.

EoI's close 23 March 2018.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm not sure I knew they existed in the first place :shock:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:58 am

Will Craig have the capacity? Given that we have recently had Perth bike path speed bump trial set to force speeding cyclists to slow down and Cycling groups outraged at WA Road Safety videos depicting riders as 'losers'. As well as we are still waiting since Dec 2015 for an update to Safe and Viable Cycling in the Perth Metropolitan Area - Auditor General.

If Craig has spare capacity to be the new chair, why are the above items occuring?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:52 pm

It could be a facilitation role and I expect that it will have a slow ease-in.

Thanks for sharing the details on the nomination approach for advocacy groups and local councils.
Cycling is in my BNA

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Scott_C wrote: and Advocacy Groups
I didn't think we had any of them.

The BTA imploded a few years back. And after flirting with the concept of advocacy, BWA seems to have gone back to it's "knitting".
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Scott_C wrote: and Advocacy Groups
I didn't think we had any of them.

The BTA imploded a few years back. And after flirting with the concept of advocacy, BWA seems to have gone back to it's "knitting".
Despite being on the WA Dept of Transport website the applications are for advocacy groups and councils from anywhere in Aus or NZ.

I think WA still has some BUGs left that could apply under the advocacy group banner and I'd like to think that they would select a range of different types of advocacy orgs to get involved.

I think the worse case is if the Pedestrian Council of Australia make it in, if that happens then CWANZ will lose any sense of legitimacy.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:08 pm

Scott_C wrote:I think the worse case is if the Pedestrian Council of Australia make it in, if that happens then CWANZ will lose any sense of legitimacy.
Absolutely. In NSW this was part of the disaster that an 'anti-cycling' entity was involved in the secret meetings held by ex-MP Duncan Gay as they formed the new bike laws and increase penalties and disincentives to cycle.

Many cycling advocacy groups have a fairly healthy view of cycling as part of the transport solution. Bike are not a complete replacement but co-exist and in unity and balance with other modes is safe, convenient, economical.

Unfortunately every single appearance from the above mentioned group has been 'anti', banning, blocking, attacking everything that doesn't fit the vision.

--

I have forwarded the details to some cycle interest groups and local councils.
Cycling is in my BNA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Scott_C wrote:I think WA still has some BUGs left that could apply under the advocacy group banner and I'd like to think that they would select a range of different types of advocacy orgs to get involved.
I am only aware of two bugs in WA, BikeFreo which I am active member of (and I doubt we would be interested in as we struggle with our local issues and it would require an individual to take on the role) and the other active Bug I am aware of is Albany, again I would be surprised if they where interested as they have gone quiet of late. Are you aware of any others that are active?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Scott_C wrote:I think WA still has some BUGs left that could apply under the advocacy group banner and I'd like to think that they would select a range of different types of advocacy orgs to get involved.
I am only aware of two bugs in WA, BikeFreo which I am active member of (and I doubt we would be interested in as we struggle with our local issues and it would require an individual to take on the role) and the other active Bug I am aware of is Albany, again I would be surprised if they where interested as they have gone quiet of late. Are you aware of any others that are active?
I can't speak for which ones are still active but there are 19 listed WA BUGs on the BWA website, none of which cover me.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:35 pm

Scott_C wrote:I can't speak for which ones are still active but there are 19 listed WA BUGs on the BWA website, none of which cover me.
I have seen that list before; no confidence in it all as per my previous comment.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:03 pm

I've asked BWA if they've submitted an EOI. If they haven't I'll follow up. I've been sitting on my hands for too long. Anyone seen CycleSnail recently?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 am

Executive Officer for this group has been advertised - https://westcycle.org.au/vacancies/

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:53 am

Nominations close tomorrow (aka 23-Mar-2018).

I was about to put in a submission on the behalf of WATCAC, and noticed a critical condition on the last page:
"I understand and agree that if successful, my organisation will be liable for all travel, accomodation and other related expenses that may arise in the course of my involvement with CWANZ."
This ruled us out, as we don't have the available funds.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 pm

rolandp wrote:Nominations close tomorrow (aka 23-Mar-2018).
Still waiting for a reply from BWA