The role was:
- To oversee and coordinate the implementation of the Australian National Cycling Strategy.
- provide a forum for the sharing of information between stakeholders involved in the implementation of the strategy.
- maintain a repository of information and resources to promote increased cycling in Australia.
The ABC reported annually to the Transport and Infrastructure Council, through Austroads and the Transport and Infrastructure Senior Officials’ Committee (TISOC), on the implementation of the Australian National Cycling Strategy.
The Australian Bicycle Council has been a good resource for reports and documentation on infrastructure design and studies.
In December 22, with about 1 weeks notice a public announcement was made as follows.
Important Announcement from the Australian Bicycle Council
The Australian Bicycle Council is ceasing operation in its current form at the end of 2017 and will be replaced by a new group called Cycling and Walking Australia and New Zealand (CWANZ). This group will commence in May 2018 and will include membership from state/territory/NZ government agencies, local government and advocacy groups. Click here for more details on the background and the planned way forward.
In summary the following key points are of interest:
• The ABC will formally ceased as of 22 December 2017, with the Secretariat role concluding.
• The ABC website will no longer be updated after 22 December and wording will be added to the front page advising of changes with a link to the new brochure.
• Agreement in Principle for the new group has been achieved across each state/territory/NZ and formal agreements will be in place by the end of January 2018.
• The new group will be strategically focused.
• The initial focus will be on cycling, before an expansion to include walking is undertaken after the second year.
• Craig Wooldridge (A/Executive Director Integrated Transport Planning, Department of Transport Western Australia) will Chair the group for the first two years.
• The recruitment activities for a new Secretariat that will be based in Perth for the first two years will commence in late January/early February.
• CWANZ email addresses will be set up for the Chair and Secretariat in February 2018.
• An expression of interest process for local government and advocacy group members will commence in late February 2018.
• The first meeting of the new group will be on 16 May 2018 in Melbourne.
This is a positive step forward and we are looking forward to delivering tangible outcomes for cycling and walking in the coming years. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact Craig Wooldridge via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 08 6551 6082.
Thanks for your support over many years and we look forward to a new beginning in 2018.
Australian Bicycle Council