Car makers to unveil tech that prevents “dooring” of cyclists

Ross

Car makers to unveil tech that prevents “dooring” of cyclists

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:27 pm

https://www.bikebiz.com/news/dooring-co ... be-history
Car makers Audi and Hyundai will reveal anti-dooring technology at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

Audi’s A8 limo will feature the Exit Warning system which uses radar sensors to scan the area behind a parked vehicle and will lock doors if a cyclist is spotted, preventing the all-too-common opening of a car door in front of a passing cyclist. Previously some of the German brand’s models had a dashboard warning system – the new tech takes the decision away from the driver. The rear sensors will scan for cyclists for up to three minutes after the car’s engine has been turned off, and the system works for both passengers and the driver.
The 2019 Hyundai Sante Fe will be equipped with anti-dooring tech

And Hyundai’s fourth-generation Santa Fe SUV introduces Safety Exit Assist which senses when cyclists are approaching from behind and temporarily locks the doors before being opened, so that the driver and any passengers can exit the car without killing or injuring somebody. When the driver or passengers attempts to unlock child lock doors and the system detects cyclists, the vehicle maintains the child lock and also issues an acoustic warning.

The 2019 Santa Fe – which will start production from the second quarter of 2018 – will also be fitted with Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist for pedestrian and cyclist detection, a safety feature that alerts drivers to emergency situations, braking autonomously if required.

Hyundai has placed an ad on YouTube which demonstrates Safety Exit Assist. In the ad, a young boy asks his father to pull over to the side of the road to take a pee. When the boy tries to open the car door, Safety Exit Assist kicks in because an approaching car is sensed, and the doors are automatically locked. Once the car has passed, the door locks are released.

It’s likely that other car manufacturers will incorporate anti-dooring features into their cars in the future.

However, not all cyclists are huge fans of the latest automotive collision-avoidance technology. For instance, earlier this week pro rider Mark Cavendish had to abandon the Abu Dhabi Tour when he fell from his bike thanks to a lead race car automatically braking when the peloton got too close.

g-boaf

Re: Car makers to unveil tech that prevents “dooring” of cyclists

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Already drivers are claiming they'll be trapped in their cars because of this. :roll:

This is a good idea, it prevents occupants from opening the doors of a vehicle in unsafe situations. It will surely prevent many accidents.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:17 pm

"To engage drivers when the mode has been enabled, their Netflix on iPad will be interrupted with a free latest sneakpeak, capturing their attention, rewarding them based on their wants, and making them feel benevolent from only total selfish energy investment. We see this as a win-win for owners and vulnerable road users."

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:27 pm

eldavo wrote:"To engage drivers when the mode has been enabled, their Netflix on iPad will be interrupted with a free latest sneakpeak, capturing their attention, rewarding them based on their wants, and making them feel benevolent from only total selfish energy investment. We see this as a win-win for owners and vulnerable road users."
Is there an English translation available?

lard

Postby lard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm

All drivers and passengers are already fully equipped with devices that can prevent doorings, they just choose not to use them.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Philistine wrote:
eldavo wrote:"To engage drivers when the mode has been enabled, their Netflix on iPad will be interrupted with a free latest sneakpeak, capturing their attention, rewarding them based on their wants, and making them feel benevolent from only total selfish energy investment. We see this as a win-win for owners and vulnerable road users."
Is there an English translation available?
In English, it means he's being sarcastic.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:32 am

Great news. Give it 10 years and every car should have it.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 am

Mububban wrote:Great news. Give it 10 years and every car should have it.
Every new car will have it in 5 to 10 years gi=ven the rate these things flow through, that means years 15-20 years til nearly all cars in use have it given the age of Australia car fleet.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:20 pm

SO, can you have a bit of fun and just stand in the wrong spot when someone parks in a car park .... :-)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:26 pm

MichaelB wrote:SO, can you have a bit of fun and just stand in the wrong spot when someone parks in a car park .... :-)
Witches hats and trolleys be king.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Or you just mandate the "Dutch Reach".

Which is: open the door with your OTHER hand. The Dutch mandated it half a century ago.

(image from the Telegraph UK 2017)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:36 pm

I can’t wait to get even more of this technology. I will save me so much awareness and thought process. I’ll be able to further absorb myself into bicycle forums and faceache.

Reverse sensors, self parking and autonomous braking all make us lazier, but I guess it makes us safer too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 pm

bychosis wrote:I can’t wait to get even more of this technology. I will save me so much awareness and thought process. I’ll be able to further absorb myself into bicycle forums and faceache.

Reverse sensors, self parking and autonomous braking all make us lazier, but I guess it makes us safer too.
Unfortunately, while most (not all) drivers are being taught to pass the test not actually manage a very large projectile, society "needs" these devices.

When manufacturers mount huge spikes in the middle of steering wheels, THEN we'll see people actually paying attention to their vehicle