All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss

BJL

Re: All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss

Postby BJL » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 am

Mububban wrote:
human909 wrote: Thank you for so keenly jump down the slippery slope head first! Just how well has worked out so far.
Slippery slope arguments are generally bull****
Yep. That slippery slope was jumped on a long time ago. Around the time someone thought that allowing privately owned and operated motor vehicles with drivers trained to the minimum standard a monkey could pass on the roads was a good idea. Let me guess what the fledgling motoring groups said back then? 'Oh, we'll be good and share the roads. Trust us :wink: '

march83

Postby march83 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:33 am

I'm running multiple lights and wearing reflective gear when I ride in an attempt to reduce risk. I'm deep down the slippery slope started with reflectors. I guess I shouldn't use them at all though - cutting off my nose to spite my face is a much better option than risk being accused of heading down a slippery slope :roll:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:35 am

march83 wrote:I'm running multiple lights and wearing reflective gear when I ride in an attempt to reduce risk. I'm deep down the slippery slope started with reflectors. I guess I shouldn't use them at all though - cutting off my nose to spite my face is a much better option than risk being accused of heading down a slippery slope :roll:
Wheel reflectors are the gateway drug. I thought I could stop any time I wanted...
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:29 pm

march83 wrote:I'm running multiple lights and wearing reflective gear when I ride in an attempt to reduce risk. I'm deep down the slippery slope started with reflectors. I guess I shouldn't use them at all though - cutting off my nose to spite my face is a much better option than risk being accused of heading down a slippery slope :roll:

I'm not sure all the reflective gear does all that much, some people just don't pay attention. I use good lights however.

Totally unrelated - damn you are motoring along in the kms, nearly 5000km already? :shock:

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:29 pm

Mububban wrote:Slippery slope arguments are generally bull****
I don't know where to start here. Try studying some history.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 pm

human909 wrote:
Mububban wrote:This ties into the thread on autonomous vehicles and the effectiveness of their current and future sensor arrays....

....And I'd trust an autonomous vehicle and a beacon more than I trust current human operated vehicles!
Thank you for so keenly jump down the slippery slope head first! Just how well has worked out so far.
It is human fault.
Human planning, that designed a road for cars and not for the safety of the people.

Way before an autonomous car and a pedestrian interacted, someone designed a urban sprawl that favors the car and makes pedestrians second class citizens.
Someone put up a ridiculous 80 kmh speed limit close to where people walk and are expected to bike, knowing full well that the physics behind making a 2 tonne vehicle at 80 kmh coming to a full stop are absurd.
Knowing that the chance of a pedestrian surviving being hit by a car at that speed is close to zero.

And many other someones allowed that logic to thrive and carry on. For decades.

Many someones RESISTED changes for the safer.

We allowed a situation where human distraction/computer malfunction/pure chance allows people to die.

We collectively set up the instance where we made that fatal collision possible. The city's very own road design should be one that prevents a death not just in a situation where everyone is following the rules, but even when there's human mistake, bad faith, or a legitimate accident; the road itself doesn't allow for the event to result in death.

Vision Zero is a thing. We KNOW how to avoid this. We know how to force people into a safe situation where even the most inept, incompetent, malfunctioning or drunk driver will still have trouble killing a person.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:25 am

Where I have a problem with this style of thinking is that it will provide ‘false alarms’ to a human operator and end up being ignored anyway.

Can you imagine if a beacon provided some sort of warning to the driver how annoying that would be if you are driving down a busy road with a well separated busy bike path beside? Driving along watching for stopping/slowing traffic and lane changers when you are warned about a dozen bikes headed towards you that you have virtually no chance of impacting.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Scintilla wrote:It is human fault.
Human planning, that designed a road for cars and not for the safety of the people.
There was a lot of money to be made building freeways; tearing up tram tracks and re-selling railway lands.

And the Automobile was THE future. Part of Progress. Progress with a capital P.

It was flawed but it was, at the time, mostly thought correct. We've known better for two decades but have allowed it to continue as the 1% have closed down civil debate and bought the politicians. After all, anyone not supporting the owned-press must be an evil commie or nasty boat person. Like Clover Moore, for example.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Thoglette wrote:We've known better for two decades but have allowed it to continue
Even longer than that :shock:

"Adding road lanes to solve congestion is like giving a man a bigger belt to cure obesity" - Lewis Mumford, 1955

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:43 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Totally unrelated - damn you are motoring along in the kms, nearly 5000km already? :shock: