Ban on riding two abreast or riding on roads without cycling lanes

find_bruce

Re: Ban on riding two abreast or riding on roads without cycling lanes

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 am

queequeg wrote:
biker jk wrote:Are we talking official bicycle lanes (of which there may be a total of 1km of these in the whole of Sydney)? Most bicycle lanes are not official so the riding two abreast prohibition is pretty inconsequential.
On my entire commute, the only official bicycle lane anywhere on the route (excluding the M2 Shoulder) is a short section on the Pacifiy Hwy at Artarmon, city bound.
Directly outside my house is a faux bike lane - 1 section ~1 km, another 600m, even continues the marking across the intersection, but I have not seen a single bike lane sign in either direction :roll:

Is this Sydney's shortest bike lane ? There are no lines through the roundabout so the lane ends there
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:04 pm

queequeg wrote:
biker jk wrote:Are we talking official bicycle lanes (of which there may be a total of 1km of these in the whole of Sydney)? Most bicycle lanes are not official so the riding two abreast prohibition is pretty inconsequential.
Are you determining this from the lack of vertical signposts?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:12 pm

find_bruce wrote: Is this Sydney's shortest bike lane ? There are no lines through the roundabout so the lane ends there
Looks more like they left it open for water flow down the kerb line. Otherwise they would have to build two drainage structure before and in the roundabout. So my guess is no thought for cyclists :wink: . I would take the lane, rather than chance the litter in the gutter that would never get swept.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:17 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
queequeg wrote:
If it does not include the "Bike Lane" signs, either on a pole or on marked the ground, then it does not meet the definition of a Bike Lane under NSW Rule 153 (4)

What that then makes it is a standard road shoulder with some bicycle logos indicating to motorists they might expect to see cyclists about, but they hold zero meaning as far as the law is concerned.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:41 pm

find_bruce wrote:
queequeg wrote:
On my entire commute, the only official bicycle lane anywhere on the route (excluding the M2 Shoulder) is a short section on the Pacifiy Hwy at Artarmon, city bound.
Directly outside my house is a faux bike lane - 1 section ~1 km, another 600m, even continues the marking across the intersection, but I have not seen a single bike lane sign in either direction :roll:

Is this Sydney's shortest bike lane ? There are no lines through the roundabout so the lane ends there
If you enter the Entertainment Quarter at Moore Park from Lang Rd there's an official bicycle lane for around 30 metres. It's the shortest I have encountered.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:02 pm

fat and old wrote: ...
"It was necessary to stay out of the bike lane due to the recurring issue of tacks being dropped illegally"

Necessity absolutely comes into the debate when it suits. You can't remove it when it doesn't.
Yep, although I would like to add (mostly out of habit!) the main place I’m aware of where regular illegal dropping of tacks occurs has a road shoulder and a separated path bike rather than a bike lane. :-)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 pm

kb wrote:
"It was necessary to stay out of the bike lane due to the recurring issue of tacks being dropped illegally"

Necessity absolutely comes into the debate when it suits. You can't remove it when it doesn't.
Yep, although I would like to add (mostly out of habit!) the main place I’m aware of where regular illegal dropping of tacks occurs has a road shoulder and a separated path bike rather than a bike lane. :-)
Yeah, I was referring to the sep. path kb. Not the shoulder. Should have been clear I guess.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:47 am

queequeg wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
queequeg wrote:
If it does not include the "Bike Lane" signs, either on a pole or on marked the ground, then it does not meet the definition of a Bike Lane under NSW Rule 153 (4)

What that then makes it is a standard road shoulder with some bicycle logos indicating to motorists they might expect to see cyclists about, but they hold zero meaning as far as the law is concerned.
That's fine, I'm just used to people assuming that the required start and end signs screen printed on the road are not sufficient to satisfy the regs.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Thoglette

Fast Road cycle ban a ridiculous idea - The West

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Prime position in the letters to the editor for today's West Australian (p88) went to two long letters bagging the call to ban cyclists from roads over 80kph.

They noted the long history of intertown riding; and the total lack of alternatives for anyone outside a major urban center.

This is important as it indicates that the paper (and it's owners) think the proposal is not a winner.
Their banner was Fast Road cycle ban a ridiculous idea
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Suppose another solution would be to have an Australian National speed limit of 80kph
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:26 am

fat and old wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 pm
kb wrote:

Yeah, I was referring to the sep. path kb. Not the shoulder. Should have been clear I guess.
Tacks are apparently back again:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victori ... 55cpl.html

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:39 am

Again with the ridiculous claims. Unless something happened in the last 12 months, there isn't a single documented case of serious injury caused by the tacks.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:08 pm

fat and old wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:39 am
Again with the ridiculous claims. Unless something happened in the last 12 months, there isn't a single documented case of serious injury caused by the tacks.
Based on hospital admissions info? VicPol reports? I would think some minor stacks are not even reported. Maybe people can hang tubes on a certain tree to indicate all the punctures, that might be a good indicator to Joe Public.

Maybe its the same as the fanciful claims of "bikes are a menace and someone is gonna die avoiding one"? Yet to see that happen.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:15 pm

fat and old wrote:
That sounds fairly supportive of dropping tacks you know...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:38 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:15 pm
fat and old wrote:
It sounds suggestive of inaccurate reporting to me. ;)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:44 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:38 pm
g-boaf wrote:
fat and old wrote:
I was a member of old mates Facebook group at one stage, when they had their pet Sergeant and later. The level of self entitlement and exaggeration was sickening.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Used to be a motorcyclists favourite back in the day.
I used to head down there on the weekend and it was great fun :oops: :) .
Never cycled on it. Could be ok without tacks and motorcyclists I guess.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:36 pm

fat and old wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:44 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:38 pm
g-boaf wrote:

I was a member of old mates Facebook group at one stage, when they had their pet Sergeant and later. The level of self entitlement and exaggeration was sickening.
Okay, are the tacks being put down again or not, yes or no? That's really all that matters to most people who just want to ride without traps being set up.

In Sydney at one stage (before I started riding) on a major cycleway people were stringing wires across the track. I'm sure people then were within their rights to be angry with it, as you would if you had to deal with tacks being deliberately thrown down.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:30 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:36 pm

Okay, are the tacks being put down again or not, yes or no? That's really all that matters to most people who just want to ride without traps being set up.

In Sydney at one stage (before I started riding) on a major cycleway people were stringing wires across the track. I'm sure people then were within their rights to be angry with it, as you would if you had to deal with tacks being deliberately thrown down.

Sure you'd be angry.
I don't ride there and I'm angry.
I'd suggest the mentally ill individual dropping the tacks would potentially derive satisfaction and motivation from public expressions of that though.