Cyclist hit by Police vehicle...(U.S.)

10speedsemiracer

Cyclist hit by Police vehicle...(U.S.)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:52 pm

I'm not placing here other than as a matter of interest. Could have been so much worse, but obviously could have also not happened in the first friggin' place...

Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

queequeg

Re: Cyclist hit by Police vehicle...(U.S.)

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:19 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I'm not placing here other than as a matter of interest. Could have been so much worse, but obviously could have also not happened in the first friggin' place...
Which is why police should not be exempt from the rules here. It's pretty clear that there are no circumstances under which it is ok to drive whilst looking at a mobile phone.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:54 pm

queequeg wrote: Which is why police should not be exempt from the rules here. It's pretty clear that there are no circumstances under which it is ok to drive whilst looking at a mobile phone.
Even when emergency situation demands it touching the phone should only be last resort if Bluetooth headset has failed.
They should be required to carry a working Bluetooth earpiece in car, the things are cheap and voice commands work well through them.
If you can hold a phone to your ear then you can lift and clip an earpiece to ear.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:30 pm

:shock: apart from phone he didn't half cut the corner. You start watching and just cant fault the cyclist, head checks etc etc then wham. Not a real fan of cameras, but they really do tell the truth........wonder the outcome if no camera and cops mates turning up on the scene ?

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 pm

queequeg wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:I'm not placing here other than as a matter of interest. Could have been so much worse, but obviously could have also not happened in the first friggin' place...
Which is why police should not be exempt from the rules here. It's pretty clear that there are no circumstances under which it is ok to drive whilst looking at a mobile phone.
The exemption for police (and all other emergency services workers) is always conditional on:
1. In the course of duties, and
2. Where safe.

This incident was not safe. So the exemption is not the problem. A failure to prosecute police officers IS the core problem.

*There are many circumstances where emergency services officers may need to use a phone (for calls, not texting) while on duty, at times even when driving.
Last edited by Scintilla on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:02 pm

NASHIE wrote::shock: apart from phone he didn't half cut the corner. You start watching and just cant fault the cyclist, head checks etc etc then wham. Not a real fan of cameras, but they really do tell the truth........wonder the outcome if no camera and cops mates turning up on the scene ?
If it had not been captured on video I’ll wager all liability would have been denied, the driver was not on the phone, the rider would be claimed as being “all over the road” and he would have been charged with ‘failing to give way’ as well as ‘assaulting a police officer’!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Has anyone seen research comparing attention loss in a call between holding phone and hands-free?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 pm

eldavo wrote:Has anyone seen research comparing attention loss in a call between holding phone and hands-free?
Yep. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 093104.htm . I'm pretty sure that's not the only one too.

What I haven't seen, and would like to see, is a broad study of distraction factors, e.g. listening to the radio, changing stations, changing CDs. My guess is talking on the phone is worse than listening to the radio due to the need to "interact". Changing stations might well be just as bad though.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:51 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:What I haven't seen, and would like to see, is a broad study of distraction factors, e.g. listening to the radio, changing stations, changing CDs.
The aviation industry (and military) has spent a lot of time looking at cognitive loads on pilots over the best part of a century. Most of it is directly transferable to other tasks like driving. I was spending a fair bit of time with this a decade ago.

But the pollies & papers aren't listening, hence we put up with accident rates several orders of magnitude higher than aircraft.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:37 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:What I haven't seen, and would like to see, is a broad study of distraction factors, e.g. listening to the radio, changing stations, changing CDs. My guess is talking on the phone is worse than listening to the radio due to the need to "interact". Changing stations might well be just as bad though.
Changing radio stations (or song track) on most cars under 10 years old is a simple button-press on the steering wheel. I see little reason why this would be seen as as bad as talking on a mobile phone ❓❓

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:26 pm

All the modern incar gizmos are a driver distraction. Im sure some drivers just turn left or right without looking when the in car voice tells them or you see them doing crazy mad u turns. My son told me the other day his mates mum had her phone and incar street map going at the same time. He said he never felt so unsafe in a car it was just mad.