Carnage as makeshift 'speed bump' fells early morning cyclist group

Ross

Carnage as makeshift 'speed bump' fells early morning cyclist group

Postby Ross » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Apologies if this has already been posted...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/car ... 4zzem.html
A homemade bump in the road apparently aimed at "noisy" motor vehicles has left a group of early morning cyclists in a mangled heap.

A group of about 30 experienced racing cyclists were riding along McCarrs Creek Road in Kuring-Gai Chase National Park near Church Point at about 5am on Thursday when the front rider struck the "speed hump", sending five of them — travelling at up to 45km/h — to the ground.

g-boaf

Re: Carnage as makeshift 'speed bump' fells early morning cyclist group

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 pm

No record of the call. :( great!

This also says that anyone can go around setting up traps like this and get away with it.

I'm sure NPWS people have also had enough of the vandalism of their facilities as much as these vigilante yobbos might not like car noise.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:49 am

Whoever made the call probably used a mobile which can instantly screenshot the log and prove the police are liars.

So many are anti bicycle which is why there needs to be a dedicated liaison division as has been done successfully with other minority groups.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:49 am

How do we know that cyclists weren't the target? An odd way to protest against motorists. The speed hump was never going to effect a car or motorcycle.

There's a history of signs advising motorists to be "careful around cyclists" being knocked down along McCarrs Ck Rd.

I rode through there Tuesday morning but after sunrise. Terrible for the poor riders crashing. If Mona Vale police were called then I wouldn't expect much help.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 am

Complete lack of interest from police - despite the fact this is almost a 'man-trap' type situation for cyclists.

How hard can it be to find the local resident on McCarr's Ck Rd with bags of concrete and some yellow spray paint?

It'll be the local nut troublemaker... all the neighbours will know who it is.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... 5d1ed7d48f

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:56 pm

biker jk wrote:How do we know that cyclists weren't the target? An odd way to protest against motorists. The speed hump was never going to effect a car or motorcycle. .
That would have a serious effect on sports cars and motorcycles.
Intended to do damage especially to the lowered ricer cars which are the type who hoon through at night with fart cannon exhausts.
Speedbump make more noise due to acceleration after it.

If they were targetting bicycle it would be the usual tacks not a huge mission to make a concrete speedbump.

The noise graffiti makes no sense for cyclists.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Jmuzz wrote:
biker jk wrote:How do we know that cyclists weren't the target? An odd way to protest against motorists. The speed hump was never going to effect a car or motorcycle. .
That would have a serious effect on sports cars and motorcycles.
Intended to do damage especially to the lowered ricer cars which are the type who hoon through at night with fart cannon exhausts.
Speedbump make more noise due to acceleration after it.

If they were targetting bicycle it would be the usual tacks not a huge mission to make a concrete speedbump.

The noise graffiti makes no sense for cyclists.
You do know that tacks were left on the road with locals claiming they were aimed at motorists? I doubt many car tyres would be punctured by tacks. Many years ago I was in a group with seven puncturing due to tacks thrown on the shoulder of Mona Vale Rd approaching Terrey Hills.

A speedbump is more likely to harm a cyclist than a motor vehicle. The noise complaint could just as likely be about a peloton of 30 cyclists all chatting at 5am. I'm only speculating and have no proof about the latest incident, but there is hostility towards cyclists in the area.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:26 am

On the noise, some residents have argued that chatting early morning bunches is grounds to ban all cyclists... so that was my initial thought, also with the history of the bike safety signs being vandalised, as was mentioned, and some of the regular hoons who would harass bike riders. But the subaru wrx racers are also a known problem though difficult to police.

On the police response, initial thougts are dissapointment, but it could also just be a perspective.... that it has not yet been dealt with.

This however needs police action... the vandalism / obstrution that creates a very real safety risk... and unfortunately caused this should motivate the police to identify the culprites and ensure that they face the courts. This type of behaviour can’t be brush aside as tolerable.
Cycling is in my BNA

BJL

Postby BJL » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:38 am

AUbicycles wrote:On the noise, some residents have argued that chatting early morning bunches is grounds to ban all cyclists...
A large part of the problem is that people have this habit of complaining and demanding something is done when they are annoyed or inconvenienced by others. Such as their local roads being congested (or noise).

And yet these very same people go about their daily business without a thought in the world for how their actions might annoy or inconvenience others. IE, they'll get in their cars and clog up the roads in other areas and think nothing of it.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:38 pm

The (poorly designed and inadequately managed) boom gate which Council installed across a public roadway and which I hit one morning and lost my leg as a result was erected at the request of local residents who were tired of the local "hoons" doing donuts in their cars late at night.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Police have been embarrassed into action by the SMH article, but are doing an appalling job of managing the trolls, who have pretty much taken over the thread.

https://m.facebook.com/NorthernBeachesP ... 025396763/

This morning I spoke to a member of our group who was involved in the incident Thursday morning. The speed hump was extremely hard to see and looked like gravel, which as we all know is normally no big deal, unless on a bend. It was only when he saw dust being kicked up in the lights as it was being struck that he realised it was something much worse and avoided going down himself.

As to the police having no record of receiving the call, that would be correct. They don't keep a log of inbound calls, or correspondence.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:38 am

AUbicycles wrote:On the noise, some residents have argued that chatting early morning bunches is grounds to ban all cyclists...
My wife has an uncle who lived on one of the more popular bicycle streets near the waterfront in Brisbane. He told me once that the early morning cyclist's chat annoyed him.

He had nothing against cyclists, his son in law who was a cyclist lived with him, and would never have formally complained to anyone about it. But he mentioned to me at a family gathering that cyclists chatting at dawn on a really quiet suburban street can be annoyingly noisy, and he had to put up with it every single day.

I have some sympathy for people in that situation.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:30 pm

trailgumby wrote:Police have been embarrassed into action by the SMH article, but are doing an appalling job of managing the trolls, who have pretty much taken over the thread.

https://m.facebook.com/NorthernBeachesP ... 025396763/

This morning I spoke to a member of our group who was involved in the incident Thursday morning. The speed hump was extremely hard to see and looked like gravel, which as we all know is normally no big deal, unless on a bend. It was only when he saw dust being kicked up in the lights as it was being struck that he realised it was something much worse and avoided going down himself.

As to the police having no record of receiving the call, that would be correct. They don't keep a log of inbound calls, or correspondence.
I (stupidly) looked at the comments. One of the posters on there mentions her husband, who still hasn't come home after 6 months. That is one of my work colleagues. He hit a Kangaroo in Kuringai Chase National Park and was in a coma for 2 months. He is still learning how to walk and talk again. That could have just as easily been any of these riders getting thrown off by this act of sabotague. I hope they catch the cowards who built it and make an example of them.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:17 am

Cyclist chatter is interesting because residents probably won’t bat and eye at truck or car driving along (I am not referring to electric ones) nor the early morning tinnies. What about the cockatoos and cicadas? Early morning joggers with the pitter patter of feet and gossip in between gasps or the nasty splashing of kayakers and paddle boarders.

There are a lot of noises about and even with a beautiful waterfront view, there are other people. The cyclists may be talking but the are rarely shouting.

Letting it simply be part of the soundscape and eventually unnoticeable is a better use of time. But when there’s nothing better to do, nothing more important...
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:18 pm

queequeg wrote:I (stupidly) looked at the comments. One of the posters on there mentions her husband, who still hasn't come home after 6 months. That is one of my work colleagues. He hit a Kangaroo in Kuringai Chase National Park and was in a coma for 2 months. He is still learning how to walk and talk again. That could have just as easily been any of these riders getting thrown off by this act of sabotague. I hope they catch the cowards who built it and make an example of them.
I saw the comment too. Bloody hell. Sorry to hear that. Yeah, those vegemite coloured wallabies are really hard to see even with 3,800 measured lumens of German trail light technology. I've had a couple of mates taken out by them on the fire trails, and need to be choppered out.

I'm part of a small group trying to use coordinated influencer strategies to stem the hate. I had to take a mental health break and let the others take the running. The worst was a comment from a mountain biker I've been acquainted with for a few years through trail advocacy. His comment about a video of the crash (if available) being good for a laugh, and then doubling down when I called him on it, broke me.

BJL

Postby BJL » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 am

trailgumby wrote: The worst was a comment from a mountain biker I've been acquainted with for a few years through trail advocacy. His comment about a video of the crash (if available) being good for a laugh, and then doubling down when I called him on it, broke me.
On that note, it pisses me off every time I see the ad for the 'Car Crash Global' TV show where they show a cyclist flipping over the front bar along with a voice over that the producers with their warped sense of humor think is funny. Accidents where injuries occur shouldn't be presented in such a way and it really shows how low our society has become. And we call ourselves 'civilized'.

I'd like to get hold of the producers of this show, tie them to beds of nails, drop a heavy weight onto them and put their deaths on the TV show '1000 ways to die' complete with CGI showing the nails penetrating vital organs and how painful the whole experience would have been along with audience laughter in the background. :evil:

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:57 pm

BJL wrote: On that note, it pisses me off every time I see the ad for the 'Car Crash Global' TV show where they show a cyclist flipping over the front bar along with a voice over that the producers with their warped sense of humor think is funny. Accidents where injuries occur shouldn't be presented in such a way and it really shows how low our society has become. And we call ourselves 'civilized'.

I'd like to get hold of the producers of this show, tie them to beds of nails, drop a heavy weight onto them and put their deaths on the TV show '1000 ways to die' complete with CGI showing the nails penetrating vital organs and how painful the whole experience would have been along with audience laughter in the background. :evil:
hear ye, hear ye.
a couple of years ago, i posted a video on YouTube of me going OTB when a SUV pulled out in front of me in traffic.
not long after that, i received a PM from someone representing a production house wanting to use my video for a similar tv content you mentioned.
i wasn't amused.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:34 pm

BJL wrote: On that note, it pisses me off every time I see the ad for the 'Car Crash Global' TV show where they show ...:
I don't mind the occasional silly crash video where it's harmless, but where they're making fun of people getting seriously hurt that makes me ill.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 pm

trailgumby wrote:
queequeg wrote:I (stupidly) looked at the comments. One of the posters on there mentions her husband, who still hasn't come home after 6 months. That is one of my work colleagues. He hit a Kangaroo in Kuringai Chase National Park and was in a coma for 2 months. He is still learning how to walk and talk again. That could have just as easily been any of these riders getting thrown off by this act of sabotague. I hope they catch the cowards who built it and make an example of them.
I saw the comment too. Bloody hell. Sorry to hear that. Yeah, those vegemite coloured wallabies are really hard to see even with 3,800 measured lumens of German trail light technology. I've had a couple of mates taken out by them on the fire trails, and need to be choppered out.

I'm part of a small group trying to use coordinated influencer strategies to stem the hate. I had to take a mental health break and let the others take the running. The worst was a comment from a mountain biker I've been acquainted with for a few years through trail advocacy. His comment about a video of the crash (if available) being good for a laugh, and then doubling down when I called him on it, broke me.
I'm not entirely sure of the details. Some other work colleagues told me the roo/wallaby jumped out while he was on a descent, but the comments indicate it was road kill. Either way, he hit it at high speed and suffered a severe head injury. He's still in rehab, and it puts in perspective my own situation with DVT. At least I can still ride and otherwise have come out unscathed except for some blocked veins. I could just have easily ended up going to Europe as planned and coming off down Mt Ventoux.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:27 pm

Added to the personal injury this caused is the likelihood that it will only make the targeted car drivers respond with more hooning.

I once lived on a short (two blocks long) suburban street that was used to rat-run past the main road. I guess people complained and the council put a speed hump towards each end. The street was then adopted as a start/stop race track by certain drivers to see who could reach the highest top speed between the two humps.

If a driver still behaves as if he's in year 9, everything becomes an opportunity.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:41 pm

More rumours doing the rounds this morning that the lead rider's stem snapped from the impact with the new road "feature", causing the crash. Not sure how accurate that is, given that it's probably fortieth-hand by now.

Unfortunately I missed seeing where it was positioned when we rode through there this morning, but the other guys in my group saw where it was.