Victim Blaming as a Marketing Strategy

Thoglette

Re: Victim Blaming as a Marketing Strategy

Postby Thoglette » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:39 pm

AUbicycles wrote:...running good lights during the day (flashing / irregular pattern) .
Only if you're an emergency vehicle and have a loud siren.

But as I observed only yesterday, sometimes not even that works. (Fire engine held up by MMs who had no idea it was 25m behind them)

The problem is rarely visibility. And the "bike ninja on an unlit road at night approaching a t-junction" is the exception that proves the rule.

The main problem is drivers who don't look, or won't look, or can't see (A-pillars and mirrors), or who are travelling faster than their brain can process events (i.e. speed limit is set too high and we-have-to-drive-at-the-speed-limit-you-know).

Or who drive too bloody close even though they know you're there.

This is how cyclists, pedestrians and trees "come out of nowhere".
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:21 pm

Thoglette wrote:The problem is rarely visibility.
Bingo!

So we can return to 'Victim Blaming' where fingers point at a bike rider who is hit because they were not visible enough instead of at:
- The motorist who should have looked / taken care
- The Government who are not creating safe transportation environments (but distract)

I still recommend for cyclists to be as visible as possible, but it is only ever just one part of safety and is not a complete solution.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:07 pm

From very news and media comment I've ever read, the only way to guarantee being seen is to break some laws because "They all run red lights, speed on bike paths nearly running me down, wobble all over the road and eat babies" :idea:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011