An Accident that happens way too often!

uart

An Accident that happens way too often!

Postby uart » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Not directly related to cyclist accidents, but today I see another case of a truck causing the death of someone in a breakdown lane.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-18/t ... y/10262230

I don't know if this is just my perception, but this type of incident appears to happen way more often than I would expect. If a driver cannot see a large white truck stopped in a breakdown lane, what frickin' chance do they have of seeing a cyclist riding there?

redsonic

Re: An Accident that happens way too often!

Postby redsonic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:41 pm

uart wrote:Not directly related to cyclist accidents, but today I see another case of a truck causing the death of someone in a breakdown lane.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-18/t ... y/10262230

I don't know if this is just my perception, but this type of incident appears to happen way more often than I would expect. If a driver cannot see a large white truck stopped in a breakdown lane, what frickin' chance do they have of seeing a cyclist riding there?
Yes, I saw the report and thought the same thing. If that was a group of cyclists, there could well have been more than one fatality.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:21 am

Incredible the way that article entirely avoids any hint of blaming the driver of the crane truck. It does say that the smaller truck was parked "appropriately" - implying that otherwise the victims would have deserved it - and it was "unfortunate" that the man was struck and killed, and apparently it was the crane truck that was straddling the two lanes all by itself.

Police will look into "distraction" and "fatigue" - but aren't not being distracted and not being tired part of the job duties of a professional heavy vehicle driver?

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 am

One less forgiving article did note that the crane was LEFT HAND DRIVE. Stressing that it further makes it incomprehensible why the stopped truck was not seen. (Incomprehensible if the driver was paying attention.)

But before we get too many pitch forks out, one photo did show a blown front left tyre on the crane... If that had happened before the collision then this could be a reason.

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 am

I have driven LHD crane trucks, and unless there was some sort of mechanical problem, there is only inattention, for whatever reason, to blame .........

Another point, which in this case would appear to have no bearing on the actual crash, is the lack of caution that people display when parked on the side of the road. I recently had to change a tyre on the side of a country road with lots of traffic going past and the old bloke I was with would not get away from the side of the car nearest the road as they went past saying "they will get over". I thought he was going to get hit ...... all through his own lack of caution.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 pm

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Nah, this

https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/bridge-h ... sacrifice/

The Ring Road has issues. Mainly, the types that use it