Popular Bike Shops
Join the Cycling Forums on Strava
Australian Cycling Forums on Strava
Latest Reviews and Articles
Will your next bike be Intelligent? ABS and Smart Bike Tech
Vitus Vitesse EVO Disc Review – Speed Machine indeed!
- Posts: 4363
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm
Marcus Foth, Professor of Urban Informatics, Queensland University of Technology, writes in The Conversation covering the usual opening steps in transport "debate"
1. Researchers state the bleeding obvious, again.
2. Government committee timidly makes some sensible recommendations
3. Clever young things pump their IPO price through utopian plans; abuse of the commons or plain old wage theft
Waiting for the next steps
4. Vested interests struggle to keep straight faces while telling us how any change would be inefficient and uneconomic.
5. Schlock jocks whine and make stuff up to boost ratings and personal ego
6. We keep on building more freeways and "free" car parking.
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ
- Posts: 560
- Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am
- Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm
IOt's not only how you move them, it's also how you place them.
https://twitter.com/martynschmoll/statu ... 8214810624
#northvan: “You spend hours in traffic ferrying yourself and your children around because your [neighborhood] has no shops; no pub; no doctor; no school; no jobs ... It's come about because planners allowed ... housing where car travel is the only option.”
Researchers visited more than 20 new housing developments across England in what they say is the first piece of research of its kind.
They found that the scramble to build new homes is producing houses next to bypasses and link roads which are too far out of town to walk or cycle, and which lack good local buses.
Jenny Raggett, researcher at Transport for New Homes, said: "We were appalled to find so many new housing developments built around the car with residents driving for almost every journey.
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General Cycling Discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Malvern Star
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
About the Australian Cycling Forums
The largest cycling discussion forum in Australia for all things bike; from new riders to seasoned bike nuts, the Australian Cycling Forums are a welcoming community where you can ask questions and talk about the type of bikes and cycling topics you like.