Rides us country folk don't hear about

Cardy George

Rides us country folk don't hear about

Postby Cardy George » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Found out from a couple of local blokes about 2XU Great Ocean & Otway Classic Ride 2011

So what other recreation rides are there that we country folk don't hear about?

three214

Re: Rides us country folk don't hear about

Postby three214 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Cardy George wrote:Found out from a couple of local blokes about 2XU Great Ocean & Otway Classic Ride 2011

So what other recreation rides are there that we country folk don't hear about?
This ride has been mentioned prior in the Victorian forum...
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 14&t=36537

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Thanks, I know, I found it after I was told about it.

I was more refering to rides we don't hear about cos we're not in the cities

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm

I am not sure it is a country/city thing? Overall it seems hard to find out about rides as there is no centralised calendar.

Are you doing Tour De Murray George?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Cardy George wrote:Thanks, I know, I found it after I was told about it.

I was more refering to rides we don't hear about cos we're not in the cities
Hi

No Internet in the country? :wink: The information is there if you wish to subscribe to/monitor websites and so on. No different in the "city".

Andrew
Andrew

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Fair point Andrew. Being new (sorta) to the area I'm finding it hard to get any info on any rides at all. When I lived in Adelaide it was hard to avoid hearing about every ride in some way.

I guess what I'm driving at is maybe we could come up with some sort of 'directory' for those who have been cut off from the general cycling scene.
Are you doing Tour De Murray George?
Case in point. I didn't know to look it up 'cos I didn't know it exsisted......

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:03 am

Cardy George wrote:I guess what I'm driving at is maybe we could come up with some sort of 'directory' for those who have been cut off from the general cycling scene.
Nothing stopping you doing one ... but and this is from experience in another field running an international conference calendar it is a lot of work to get it together and keep it up to date.

All I do is sign-up to various newsletters, e.g., BWA; chat on Twitter with fellow riders in my state, read the forums here; join other forums such as MTB ones if that is your interest and so on. Get to know about most things that way.

My point is it is not hard to get connected locally (as in your state) at least; just a matter of building up the sources.

Andrew
Andrew

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:42 am

Just a point about the Internet reference, yes the information is there but you still have to chase it and then spend time checking the links. Not sure about others but I don't spend everyday and night on the computer.
During the day I get a quick chance to answer some posts during work but not much time to search the net. At home some nights I've just about had enough with the computer so I go on enter my k's and quickly check the forums and turn the bloody thing off. :D

What the op's trying to say is now living in the country he has to actively search for the info he wants rather than just having others tell him in passing. His cycling social net is shot to hell. :lol:

Exactly why I wanted this section and why I've started the last 2 threads in the hope people will post country issues here. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the country but information is not always quickly at hand also a lot of people are still forced to use dial up and still some even more remote places battle to get much internet at all.

Geez, the water I get at my place for showering and washing is brown and full of dirt. :evil:
We get fresh air and a lot less stress but it isn't all roses. At least I get broadband. :D

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 pm

A friendly country ride is held by the Vets club (STVCC) at Richmond bakery , Tasmania, at 9am every Wednesday morning. 60 km, nobody rides home alone, and the very best coffee and bakery products waiting at the finish. Bring your bike when you visit the sunny south of Tasmania.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:56 pm

"Rides us country folk don't hear about." I'd certainly like to know more ... but I think it is up to me to get out and explore this place? Or you?

Like close to our Nation's Capital? Where I found that the back of the signage ... is far more realistic than what the Nanny State dictates on the front.

... or on the planet's busiest country roads? ... where all dry or shallow turbid creeks are called Deep Creek?

I like riding on back-country roads. I like what I find. I like that each day, can be surprisingly different ... but I don't like forgetting that meadow cakes, batter spatter bidons.

Or that other things happen. Like when I felt a touch rusty, riding up Tunnel Road on the Hume and Hovell.

Warren.

PS, If you ride these 4 country routes, my favourites, I hope to cross your path someday. The Bicentennial National Trail, the BNT alternate bike routes, any SE highway that has a broad shoulder and the Hume and Hovell Track, on the alternate H&H bike route.

PSS, ... and don't overlook the TSRs. There is a lot to enjoy, when observing the working life of rural Australia.

"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.