Have you been to Primrose Sands? (Tasmania)

master6

Have you been to Primrose Sands? (Tasmania)

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Today is dull and damp on the east side of Hobart, and having not ridden for the last two days, I just had to go out today. Highways are not so good on days like today, so I took a shorter ride from Carlton Beach around Carlton River Rd to Primrose Sands. Nice road, nice hills not too long, really enjoyed the lack of traffic and fine mist in the air.
Have you been to Primrose Sands?

Baldy

Re: Have you been to Primrose Sands? (Tasmania)

Postby Baldy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Yeah its not a bad spot and the road would be nice to ride, well better now Carlton river road is sealed. I have never ridden a bike to Primrose but spent a lot of time around there, I lived in Dodges for about 10years.

I also noticed the road between Sorell and Forcett has shoulders now, I have ridden that and it must be much better. Do you go via Lewisham road or Forcett? We moved there in the late 80's so there was no highway then. When it went in it made the old road a much nicer place to ride, even with no shoulders and the blind corners! The worst bit was the ever growing fleet of water trucks of Goodys.

Anyway, half your luck living in the sunny east :lol: Its a bit wet here at the foot of the big hill!

cheers
Baldy

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:25 pm

Gooday Baldy, I have lived in Carlton for 4 years, and wrote to Lin Thorp shortly after arrival,requesting sealing of the verges between Sorell and Forcett Rivulet. That section of road was a nightmare for cycling, and I fitted a rear vision mirror specifically for that area. DIER replied and advised that it would be considered in distant future budgets.
In late 08 or 09, I cant recall exactly, the work started. The job was rough, and needed patching before they had even painted the white lines, however it is, none the less, a very great improvement. Just recently the last gravel section of Carlton River Rd has been sealed , so I now have a safer course toward Port Arthur. I see a lot of touring cyclists out this way during the December to February period, and I think more might make the trip to Port Arthur if improvements to the verge were made further down the Highway. The existing gravel road from the bridge near Primrose Sands down through Connellys Marsh to Dunalley is a nice ride when the road is graded. One day we might pedal that way on bitumen.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:39 pm

Ah good on you mate[with the lobbying], when I was there apart from kids on bikes there was no bike culture to speak of. I cant remember ever seeing any "roadies" out and about. I am guessing you are still one of the very few regulars?

And yeah that Connellys marsh road would be a nice ride sealed. On the other hand if I lived there I would probably rather it remain gravel, to keep the bulk of the traffic away. But I used to use it when going down to the peninsular, which was quite a bit. Because it was better than some of the road between Forcett and Dunalley. I imagine the section between Bream Creek and Marion bay would be a cheek clenching bit of road to ride.

Im going to try and pull the finger out and race at Woodsdale this weekend, I might see you there?

cheers
Baldy